For the love of Horror discussion

Types of Horror Movies > Original Vs. Remake.

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 578 comments Mod
Which one wins? People tend to believe that the original movie is pretty much always better than the remake but is that always true?

What movies do you tend to like better? This can also include foreign movies and their english remakes.

Here's one to start things off. Carrie. I loved the original but didn't care for the remake.

message 2: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) Nightmare on elm street. Loved the original obviously and hated the remake. But on the second watch I loved it. Now I own it haha. Anyone else?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

@Bilbo: I actually enjoyed the remake of Nightmare on Elm street.

message 4: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) It was good hey? The voice threw me off the first time and blurred my judgment of the film. But when I found out why they changed the voice I was like wow okay I get it. Then re watched and loved it.

message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Rutigliano | 32 comments There's only been a handful of worthy horror remakes:

-The Thing (1982)
-The Fly
-The Blob
-Evil Dead 2 (technically a sequel, but it feels closer to a second shot at the original)
-Nosferatu
-Night of the Living Dead
-Dawn of the Dead (I like the original better, but eh)
-The Horror of Dracula (this and the one below if we're counting new adaptations from the same source material as classics)
-The Curse of Frankenstein

It really is a short list.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutely hate the remake of Carrie. It's so bad I can't put it into words.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Worthy horror remakes:

1.The Hills Have Eyes
2.The Hills Have Eyes 2 (1985)
3.The Thing
4.The Fly
5.Evil Dead 2
6.Carpenter's Fear
7. Village Of The Damned
8. The Candle Light Man
9. And Soon The Darkness
10.The Lodger
11.King Kong (1976 and 2007)

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Although I loved "The Innocents" it does tend to be melodramatic and over-acted. I really love the atmosphere of the film, very gothic, very brooding; there certainly seem to be places in Bly where evil lurks. "The Turn of the Screw" (starring Julian Sands) was a very interesting version of the classic tale; it was updated and set in the 1960's. I would deem both films to be good versions of Henry James classic ghost story.

The original Wicker Man may have had some moments of goofiness; but overall I love the movie, even the over-edited version currently available on DVD. The 2006 remake was just pathetic. Nicholas Cage, you are not, and never will be Christopher Lee! What a waste of time, money and talent.

message 9: by Blackbetty79 (new)

Blackbetty79 | 4 comments I own the original George Romero DAWN OF THE DEADand I baffled as to why so many prefer it over the remake. I loved the remake.

message 10: by David (new)

David Thirteen (davidjthirteen) I think The Thing is an interesting addition to this topic because the 1982 John Carpenter version is a classic and far superior to the original 1952 version or the 2011 re-remake.

message 11: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) David wrote: "I think The Thing is an interesting addition to this topic because the 1982 John Carpenter version is a classic and far superior to the original 1952 version or the 2011 re-remake."

the 2011 remake is the WORST. Carpenter's is absolutely the best.

message 12: by Misty (new)

Misty  (linkypie) | 6 comments Aaron wrote: "Worthy horror remakes:

1.The Hills Have Eyes
2.The Hills Have Eyes 2 (1985)
3.The Thing
4.The Fly
5.Evil Dead 2
6.Carpenter's Fear
7. Village Of The Damned
8. The Candle Light Man
9. And Soon The ..."

I agree with this list, I am a sucker and always tell myself "go see it anyway, maybe you will be surprised" but I am NEVER surprised. The last remake I went to see was Evil Dead last year, and I was SO disappointed I ranted for days.And on the note of foreign horror, I still don't think I have seen one that is better as a remake.

message 13: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 5 comments I'm tired of all of the remakes that keep coming lately (not just in the horror genre.) I especially dislike remakes of movies that were great to begin with. If you are set on doing a remake (which is totally uninspired and shows a total lack of creativity in the first place) at least remake a film that was a POS in the first go-round but had potential to be great.

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Essig | 15 comments I tend to groan when I hear that one of my favorite horror movies is being remade. They're rarely any good. A few exeptions I can think of are:

The Fly
Mother's Day
The Blob

There must be more than that, but right now I can't think of any.

I tend to see that people like Evil Dead 2 better than the first one. I like both of them, but the humor in the second one kind of turns me off. The remake that was done a few years ago had its merits, but was pretty forgettable.

message 15: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 31 comments Somehow I totally missed the Night of the Living Dead remake or forgot that it existed. I might have to check that out.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Stefan wrote: "I'm tired of all of the remakes that keep coming lately (not just in the horror genre.) I especially dislike remakes of movies that were great to begin with. If you are set on doing a remake (which..."

Stefan, that's exactly how I feel. Why remake a classic, beloved movie? Remake a movie that stunk and make that better.

message 17: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 31 comments Kathryn wrote: "Stefan wrote: "I'm tired of all of the remakes that keep coming lately (not just in the horror genre.) I especially dislike remakes of movies that were great to begin with. If you are set on doing ..."

The reason Hollywood remakes classic, well-known movies is because they have built-in brand awareness. Sadly, this means that they're unlikely to ever remake little-known stinkers that could be improved upon with a remake.

message 18: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 578 comments Mod
Stefan wrote: "I'm tired of all of the remakes that keep coming lately (not just in the horror genre.) I especially dislike remakes of movies that were great to begin with. If you are set on doing a remake (which..."

I'm with you on that. It does seem like everything that's coming out now is just being remade into something crappy or is turned into pg-13 so it'll sell more tickets to kids.

They're remaking the TV movie IT and that's my all time favorite movie and book so if they butcher that I'm going to be pissed. haha I hope they add everything that was left out of the first movie but I doubt it because it's being split into two movies when the TV one was split into three.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Katharine wrote: "Stefan wrote: "I'm tired of all of the remakes that keep coming lately (not just in the horror genre.) I especially dislike remakes of movies that were great to begin with. If you are set on doing ..."

The tv mini-series for It had to allow for commercial time so maybe they can get more stuff in the theatrical version. I didn't think the movie was as scary as the book was so I would like to see the new movie be a little more creepy.

message 20: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Just thinking about the upcoming big-bucks, CGI-burdened Godzilla flick gives me bowel spasms because let's face it: anything other than a guy in a rubber suit coming out of Tokyo Harbor in a seriously-pissed off mood and stomping flat a bunch of miniature sets is doomed to failure from the start.

May God have mercy on us all.

message 21: by Jedediah (new)

Jedediah Smith | 7 comments Dr. Detroit wrote: "Just thinking about the upcoming big-bucks, CGI-burdened Godzilla flick gives me bowel spasms because let's face it: anything other than a guy in a rubber suit coming out of Tokyo Harbor in a serio..."

Let's just pass a law shall we: if you haven't seen the original, you are not allowed to see this remake/reboot/retread. Yeah, my position is snobby. Snooty. Whatever. To understand why these films started, why they were popular, why they were important to the Japanese in the first place, you have to see Gojira, the original, uncut. And play Akira Ifukube's soundtrack LOUD. Then you'll see that it wasn't campy and it wasn't heroic and it wasn't patriotic. It was scary and it was real.

message 22: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Rutigliano | 32 comments Gregor wrote: "Somehow I totally missed the Night of the Living Dead remake or forgot that it existed. I might have to check that out."

It's directed by Tom Savini and stars Tony Todd as Ben. Not as spooky as the original, but Barbara is a much, much better character in the remake.

message 23: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) I despise most remakes, too, with a focus on US remakes of great European movies (e.g. Let the Right One In) - sorry if this sounds prejudiced.

I can understand the wish to remake an "old" movie to modernize it's look and feel (and of course the special effects). That way, the story may attract a new audience that may otherwise find it boring and who do not have a similar connection to the time portrayed in the original movie.

But I don't share the desire to remake a good movie right away just for the sake of having an english version.

Most times, i forgo remakes - though it may happen that I watch a movie without knowing it was a remake. The Hills have Eyes is such a movie, and only later did I realize it was a remake, as I was too young to have seen the original back then ;)

message 24: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) Did anyone see that they're making a Rosemary's Baby mini series? It comes out soon. It's set in Paris and is "modernized"

message 25: by Feliks (last edited Apr 02, 2014 09:04AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) BARF!!!

message 26: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) Feliks wrote: "BARF!!!"

MTE

message 27: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 31 comments Feliks wrote: "BARF!!!"

Barf, indeed.

message 28: by Feliks (last edited Apr 02, 2014 11:42AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I hate remakes in general; its a sign of an enervated and listless movie industry. Cheap, lazy, unenthusiastic, calculatedly hollow, money-grubbing. As are: sequels and re-boots.

But some of the titles mentioned specifically in this thread are so heinous, they make me want to pound my head against a concrete pillar.

。・°°・(>_<)・°°・。

message 29: by Feliks (last edited Apr 02, 2014 11:53AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) 'Twelve Monkeys' is an apt example of pointless filmmaking to remind ourselves of. Even though the director is very competent, he should not have embarked upon this project. He should have devoted his energies to something else.

The original French film 'La Jetee' is one of the most powerful and exquisite movies ever made. Its filled with magic, and came together by chance, on a shoestring budget, and evolved entirely out of the mind of a young artist driven by a personal obsession with the movie's theme. One guy made it happen. Its my favorite short film of all time (#2 fave short is probably, 'The Red Balloon', but nevermind).

'La Jetee' just didn't need a 're-do' for the mass-market swine who fill American theaters. Its just venal and corrupt to try to re-create something like that for the sake of the almighty dollar. Guillam should've showed more respect and walked away.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Even though I complain about remakes, I still watch them. I can't seem to help myself.

message 31: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Mcmahon (horrorlover16) | 1 comments Has Anyone mentioned The crazies or Halloween? I thought those were amazing.