C. S. Lewis discussion

Book Discussions > The Space Trilogy

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cashawna (new)

Cashawna | 1 comments I liked all 3 books but hand down my favorite was book 2.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferneyhart) | 11 comments Perelandra is probably my favorite of the three as well. It is about time for me to re-read them I think =)

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferneyhart) | 11 comments I always warn people that That Hideous Strength takes a bit to get into, but it is well worth it!

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary (gsduran) | 2 comments First of all, first time poster and been a bit of a lurker for a month.

Of the three books in Lewis' Space Trilogy, I favor That Hideous Strength. Why you might ask? Because Lewis is at his most perceptive. When you think about things like us trying to find a way to immortality through science, you see that Lewis understood the trends, some 60 years ago.

But not just that, but how he understood our weaknesses for being in the "in" group and the need to be liked and accepted. He turns back around on science and shows how the supernatural will confound the natural.

Out of the Silent Planet was good in that it showed how even escaping from our environment does not leave behind the taint of sin.

My thoughts.

message 5: by Ivan (new)

Ivan I have only just begun Perelandra.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Acker (markacker) | 8 comments I was amazed at how all three books in the space trilogy each have such a unique feel. It's almost like each book was written by a different author. Most people have one that is by far their favorite and one they dislike. My favorite is by far Perelandra and I was less than thrilled with That Hideous Strength. But for others it's the opposite. I like Perelandra because it's like taking an intro to Western philosophy in the form of a novel. I don't know of any other book that does that so neatly.

message 7: by Ivan (new)

Ivan I've read the first three chapters and like it very much so far.