The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars question

Do you think the hype ruined it?
Atheris Atheris (last edited Feb 14, 2014 01:30PM ) Feb 02, 2014 05:56PM
I got this book years ago for Easter and I read it and I did like it, but it wasn't my favorite. Then, it absolutely EXPLODED. So far every girl I ever encounter now has read it, and when someone mentions it EVERYONE freaks out and goes OMG! I CRIED! IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL AND SO SAAAAD!! I just find that is kind of ruined it a little for me. I just feel like it's not as special anymore now that the even the people who don't usually read have read it and all they can say is SAD, BEAUTIFUL, INSPIRING. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book, but I feel like the hype kind of ruined it... Does that make sense?
EDIT
I mean no disrespect to the author, John Green because I do believe The Fault in Our Stars was an excellent book, well written and I'm not saying I'm angry that the book has gotten so successful and known, I'm just saying that I don't like the "crowd" it has attracted.

Definitely. The hype is probably why there are a ton of negative reviews and opinions towards it. With all the buzz about TFiOS, people expected too much from it, and in turn got disappointed when their expectations weren't met. I just re-read it the other day to refresh my memory on what happened (because of the trailer) and re-reading it made me realize it wasn't as great as when i first read it and no, it's not the greatest book ever (because i will not deny that post-TFiOS--the first time i read it--i thought it was the best thing ever). So yes, the hype definitely had a great impact (negative or not) on the book.

The book was rated 4 and half stars before the word got out about the movie and the trailers being seen and now it's almost at 5 stars. The hype is real and the next time I hear a non-book lover mentioning this book in public, I don't think I could handle myself, sorry not sorry.

Maia (last edited Feb 02, 2014 08:03PM ) Feb 02, 2014 08:03PM   0 votes
yes i agree with you it's not the only good book ever

YES... It was so over rated and the hype was certainly crazy...i was starting to think that it might blow my mind...instead it fused the light bulb -_- i hate those people who hyped about it

THE HYPE DID RUIN IT. I read tfios within 3 months of it being published and I fell in love with it, but I never posted it anywhere. But now, EVERY GIRL SAYS "omg yes tfios, I love John Green. Hazel & Grace are perfect, blah blah blah." It just annoys me how everyones saying that they are such huge fans of the book when they are barely reading it since their is going to be a movie soon.

I'm a big reader, several books a month usually. I heard about this book because everyone loved it, so I decided to read it. I'm glad it's gotten popular because that gave me the opportunity to learn about it. I realize people like to keep the books they like a secret, and that's a little weird. Good books should be shared. No, this isn't some profound work of literature that will go down like Shakespeare, but it's a nice little read, hype or not.

At first it did, but it's such a good book that people are bound to like it and even more are drawn in because of the movie so I guess now I'm just happy for Green, that more are getting to enjoy his writing. It's just sad that some might expect a little too much because of the "hype".

Atheris wrote: "I got this book years ago for Easter and I read it and I did like it, but it wasn't my favorite. Then, it absolutely EXPLODED. So far every girl I ever encounter now has read it, and when someone m..."

'got this book just last year, and i didn't got the chance to read it right away for some reasons, yet because of its fame i forced myself to read it real fast. i find it good, well-written, inspiring, fun etc. but i'm still looking for some spice in its style.

Curiosity about the hype is the reason that I even read the book in the first place. I'd heard about the book before but didn't decide to read it until it was featured in an article about books being turned into movies in 2014.

Definitely. The hype is probably why there are a ton of negative reviews and opinions towards it. With all the buzz about TFiOS, people expected too much from it, and in turn got disappointed when their expectations weren't met. I just re-read it the other day to refresh my memory on what happened (because of the trailer) and re-reading it made me realize it wasn't as great as when i first read it and no, it's not the greatest book ever (because i will not deny that post-TFiOS--the first time i read it--i thought it was the best thing ever). So yes, the hype definitely had a great impact (negative or not) on the book.

Hype has a way of messing things up.
I feel like the hype ruined it for me because I was expecting something gloriously sad, beautiful, and inspiring. It was an OK book, but it's a YA romance, and the tropes in that genre don't change much. Maybe I would've liked it more if I hadn't expected to it to be all ZOMGAMAZING and SOOOO UNIQUE AND TOUCHING.

I hadn't heard a lot about it when I first read it and i'm glad because yes I think hype can ruin a perfectly good book. And I got to get my own opinion of it without people being all overdramatic, which made me love the book.

Luckily I read it not long after it came out, so I kind of missed the hype around it. Though I am seeing a lot of people talk about the film, without even thinking about picking up the book :(

And then the movie, making everyone thing that the whole book is just about love and kissing.
Like, no.
It has an actual plot.
And every basic tumblr white girl wants to read it while sipping their starbucks wearing their UGGs and I just want to slap the book right out of their manicured nails.

Sorry if this offends.

/rantover

Actually, yeah, I think the hype ruined it for me personally. I read it a few months ago after seeing people raving about it everywhere, but when I was done I was just like, "hm. That was ok I guess." I didn't dislike the book or anything, but I suppose I was expecting more. I think if I had just stumbled across it without knowing anything about it I may have enjoyed it a lot more than I did.

Embarrassingly, yes. It's just how YA romance novels go. Even classics can be ruined. I read Wuthering Heights with high hopes, and now I don't even remember who the main characters names are. Catherine and this guy with a miserable-sounding surname?

deleted member Feb 06, 2014 02:18PM   0 votes
The hype didn't ruin it.
It ruined itself.