Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Prim's death

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Douglas Scarboro Spoilers if you haven't read the book.
I hate the ending of this book. I have no problem with Katniss killing Coin and all that crap. My biggest problem is with Prim's death. Prim's being at the capital is completely out of character.

Bridgette Well, she was trying to be helpful and she heard and understood that those children needed help. She is always thinking of others, not herself. Maybe the resistance didn't have enough willing medics and they had to send Prim? Although, I too disagree with Prims death.

Kristen From Prim's perspective, she wanted to be where she would be the most helpful. And at this point and time, that meant right where she was. She wasn't thinking about the danger involved. Or she just didn't care.

From Coin's perspective, she wanted Katniss out of the way and she realized that the best way to get to her was through Prim. Kill Prim and you likely kill Katniss, more or less. She was counting on her doing something reckless and getting herself killed. If not, she'd still be basically useless to any political type of position.

So, it's not really out of character for Prim to be there. And her death added sad and unexpected irony.

message 4: by Todd (new)

Todd Whitehead It was also important as it demonstrated that coin was as ruthless as snow and had no qualms about using any means to destroy Katniss.

Bridget It's too late to say there are spoilers after such a big one as the title of your thread. Please consider renaming this discussion.

Rachel Feldman Bridget wrote: "It's too late to say there are spoilers after such a big one as the title of your thread. Please consider renaming this discussion."

DITTO.

Giselle In my opinion, in the last book, she give very little importance to the characters we have followed since the beginning.
I struggled so hard to read the last book.
She lost so much time and pages describing the feelings... almost selfishness... of Katniss and then... by the last pages... she described the death of the other characters in a single line.

Who expected more of Katniss in the last book?

message 8: by Emily (last edited Feb 11, 2014 01:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Kristen wrote: "From Coin's perspective, she wanted Katniss out of the way and she realized that the best way to get to her was through Prim. Kill Prim and you likely kill Katniss, more or less. She was counting on her doing something reckless and getting herself killed. If not, she'd still be basically useless to any political type of position. "

Tangent but a thing that always makes me go hmmm...: this position assumes that the rebels were the ones to drop the bombs. I'm always shocked when I find people who take it as a matter of fact that they did and don't see how it can be very open ended, even if you personally believe one over the other. I've found that the more willing people are to see the ending either way, the happier they are with the ending and the book in general.

Charity Davenport This book made me so mad. The main reason Katniss ends up in the Games is to save Prim's life and they kill her in the end. I appreciate the happy-ish ending for Katniss but killing Prim was (in my opinion) absurd and unnecessary.

Charity Davenport I also agree that the name of this disscussion should be changed. I would be extremely upset if I had run across this prior to reading Mokingjay.