Pulp Fiction discussion

The Deep Blue Good-By (Travis McGee, #1)
This topic is about The Deep Blue Good-By
Group Reads > February 2014 - The Deep Blue Good-By

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 279 comments Mod
This month's book is The Deep Blue Good-By

Mary Ellen (raven51) Will be picking up a copy from the library tomorrow :)

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 440 comments I have it in audio, but just started another audio book for another group, so it will be a few days.

Marko | 1 comments Just finished the book today. It is an ok reed. Have fun!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad you chose this book. Been a long time since I read John McDonald. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

message 6: by Algernon (Darth Anyan), Hard-Boiled (new) - rated it 4 stars

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 539 comments Mod
about halfway through. I really liked what I read so far and the image of Trav as a cranky knight in rusty armor telling himself he's in only for the money and the easy life, then picking up stray (HOT!) women in distress to be their champion.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 85 comments I quite enjoyed this one as the plot was quite different from the norm. Travis picking up hot women at every opportunity got a bit old though.

Will look out for others in the series although I have heard that I should probably skip the next one (Pink). Can anyone comment on that?

message 8: by Algernon (Darth Anyan), Hard-Boiled (new) - rated it 4 stars

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 539 comments Mod
I'm a completist, so I think I will try to read the books in order, even if I have been warned Pink is not so good.

Chris | 17 comments I liked it - especially the idea of having a protagonist a little more weathered, although I think it's more like "airport fiction" now than when it was actually first published. I'll definitely keep reading the series.

Franky | 395 comments A little late to the read, but enjoying it so far. I'm about half way through.

message 11: by Franky (last edited Mar 15, 2014 11:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Franky | 395 comments Overall, I enjoyed the novel. It seems like in the reviews some complain about Trav's musing and philosophies, but I thought they were mostly insightful (at least the ones about life), except the ones when he was objectifying women by giving a play by play with what they looked like and what they were wearing. He does have some sympathetic qualities, and feels pity for Lois' situation, even if he's trying to be a casanova most of the time.

I also enjoyed the setting for some reason. Florida is so unusual and atypical of noir. I liked how the story built to this confrontation between Trav and Junior (aka "Dads"), and revolved around boats. I guess if there is a lesson, never trust a dude nicknamed "Dads" who tries to sell a big trip.