Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Valentine's Day

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Valentine's Day is just around the corner. Do you have special plans or is it just another day? Our church is hosting a dinner and providing child care (yay!). My hubby and I will be taking part in that, but usually we just try and do something special for the kids. Heart-shaped pancakes, stuffed animals. Anyone remember decorating Valentine boxes for the school card exchange?

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
The only thought I've giiven to the day is that I am planning to have a facial that week (my friend is doing it, too). We tried to get the appointments on Valentine's Day as we thought that would be cool. They were already booked. I'd still like to do something special so I'm thinking on it.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments JanetTronstad wrote: "The only thought I've giiven to the day is that I am planning to have a facial that week (my friend is doing it, too). We tried to get the appointments on Valentine's Day as we thought that would ..."

You know, Janet, I've never had a facial. That sounds like a fun time of pampering.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina | 88 comments I haven't even thought about Valentine's Day. We'll probably just buy the kids something special. I might make hubs barbeque chicken tacos. It's one of his favorite meals.

Janet, that facial sounds nice. I might have to schedule one, oh and a pedi/mani. Since my daughter does them it won't hurt the pocketbook too much.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Christina wrote: "I haven't even thought about Valentine's Day. We'll probably just buy the kids something special. I might make hubs barbeque chicken tacos. It's one of his favorite meals.

Preparing something special is a good idea. There is a dessert my husband loves but it's time consuming so I don't make it often. I might do that this year. :)

message 6: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Well, for me, it's my birthday so my day has always been planned for me! ha ha !!!! First it was my parents, then friends, then my hubby! So, I can say I'm probably doing something this year but don't know what it'll be :)

message 7: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments of course I will be at work. probably from open to close. We get so busy on valentines day, and this year is a Friday to boot. Just as long as no customer asks me if I am having a good v day I will be okay!

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Valri wrote: "Well, for me, it's my birthday so my day has always been planned for me! ha ha !!!! First it was my parents, then friends, then my hubby! So, I can say I'm probably doing something this year but..."

Valri,
At least you know you'll be doing something special. And your hubby won't forget your birthday. I find it interesting that he plans stuff for you. While mine remembers a gift, he's not a planner. :)

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Melody wrote: "of course I will be at work. probably from open to close. We get so busy on valentines day, and this year is a Friday to boot. Just as long as no customer asks me if I am having a good v day I wil..."

I'm sorry, Melody! Are you in the flower business?

message 10: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Restaurant. :) I work at a fabulous Mexican place, but days like valentines are so not my favorite to work!

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments I bet! I used to work in the restaurant business. Mother's Day was probably one of the craziest/busiest. I hope you are able to take lots of breaks.

message 12: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Like Karen, my hubby and I will be enjoying a special Valentine's dinner at our church. I look forward to the food, fun and fellowship.

message 13: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Karen, my hubby never forgets my birthday but he's not really planner either! He just basically takes me to dinner but asks me where I want to go! A couple of times he has had flowers sent to me but the big, huge surprise that I have to give him kudos for was when I turned 50 a couple years ago. We lived in different states due to his employment. He planned a huge surprise birthday for me where I lived at a friend's house. He flew all the way there without me knowing and even had my parents drive 700 miles to be there! My friends invited me over to their for dinner since my hubby was "gone" and I walked in and there was my hubby, my parents and about 30 friends! SURPRISE!!! I've never been more shocked and more touched that he would plan this for me!

message 14: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I am a senior and well past the romance of Valetine's day but sure do enjoy reading about it which I do a lot. I have a hubby who is not romantic. I remember school days though when all the kids gave valentines ..do they still do that?

message 15: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Hadn't thought much about it either. I remembered it was Valri and Cheryl Wyatt's birthday. When you are single its not as big a day. I do know dont marry the day after if you want flowers. A friend married the day after and getting flowers was really hard.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Valri wrote: "Karen, my hubby never forgets my birthday but he's not really planner either! He just basically takes me to dinner but asks me where I want to go! A couple of times he has had flowers sent to me ..."

Wow, what a sweet gesture! The fact that he went to so much trouble to surprise you is impressive. You are blessed. :)

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Paula-O wrote: "I am a senior and well past the romance of Valetine's day but sure do enjoy reading about it which I do a lot. I have a hubby who is not romantic. I remember school days though when all the kids ..."

Paula,
We homeschool, so I'm not sure if the schools still do the card exchanges. Our homeschool group does it, though.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Hadn't thought much about it either. I remembered it was Valri and Cheryl Wyatt's birthday. When you are single its not as big a day. I do know dont marry the day after if you want flowers. A frien..."

Great advice, Jenny. The prices of flowers skyrockets, doesn't it?

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Keli wrote: "Like Karen, my hubby and I will be enjoying a special Valentine's dinner at our church. I look forward to the food, fun and fellowship."

Waving hello to Keli! :) I hope you both have fun at the church fellowship. I still remember when I was in college. A male friend and I sang the duet, A Whole New World from Disney's Aladdin. lol

message 20: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Australia never really did anything for valentines day til around 20 - 25 years ago. never did the card exchange at school etc. The first card I ever got would have been from a pen pal in the mid 80's. It really wasn't that big the past 15 years its gotten bigger.

message 21: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments I know when my kids were young they still did the card exchange because I remember always having to buy the cards and my kids all writing them out for all their classmates! My daughter now teaches 3rd grade. I should ask her!

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Valri wrote: "I know when my kids were young they still did the card exchange because I remember always having to buy the cards and my kids all writing them out for all their classmates! My daughter now teaches..."

Yes, let us know. They certainly still sell the kids' cards.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Australia never really did anything for valentines day til around 20 - 25 years ago. never did the card exchange at school etc. The first card I ever got would have been from a pen pal in the mid 8..."

In recent years, I've even seen people decorate their houses with red lights. Today I saw a heart-shaped wreath and stickers on the front door, which was cute.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments Paula-O wrote: "I am a senior and well past the romance of Valetine's day but sure do enjoy reading about it which I do a lot. I have a hubby who is not romantic. I remember school days though when all the kids ..."

I teach second grade, and we still do Valentines cards at my school. We decorate big envelopes to put them in. You would think it is Christmas. Some students even say it is their favorite holiday.
We don't require that they bring any cards, but if they decide to, they must bring one for everyone in the class so that no one gets left out. Everyone usually participates.

message 25: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Karen, I talked to my daughter and she said YES they still pass out Valentines! I don't know if all elementary school do it or not but her school (in Arizona) does it!

message 26: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments They do it here, my niece and nephew love Valentine's day. I loved it as a kid too. I still have a box of Valentine's from like 1st grade. :) That's when the day was fun! I used to buy stuff for my Mom as my dad never did anything for her, and she would buy me a book or something, it was always sweet. A couple years back my bro took me on a "date" since we were both single, he got me a rose too. It was adorable.

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 265 comments Our school still does Valentine's candy and cards. Plus they have a party. Hi everyone! Love historicals!

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 265 comments Hi Lyn Cote!

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 265 comments Hi Karen Kirst and Deborah Hale!

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 265 comments I remember making the boxes and writing the names of other kids on my Valentine's now you just sign them and hand them out.

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 265 comments My husband always does something. Gigi's Cupcakes are his go to and as I'm getting older those cupcakes are hanging on my body more.

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Barbara wrote: "Paula-O wrote: "I am a senior and well past the romance of Valetine's day but sure do enjoy reading about it which I do a lot. I have a hubby who is not romantic. I remember school days though wh..."

I'm glad they still do it and that no one is left out. :)

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Valri wrote: "Karen, I talked to my daughter and she said YES they still pass out Valentines! I don't know if all elementary school do it or not but her school (in Arizona) does it!"

Thanks for checking, Valri. It appears several schools still participate.

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Jennifer wrote: "My husband always does something. Gigi's Cupcakes are his go to and as I'm getting older those cupcakes are hanging on my body more."

Good morning, Jennifer! I haven't heard of Gigi's Cupcakes. Do you have a favorite flavor?

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments I see there are several romantic movies coming out on the 14th, including a remake of Endless Love. I didn't see the original. Any one going to see this one? There's also a fantasy type movie-Winter's Tale.

message 36: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments old one on tv with Betty White that was so good...

message 37: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I have plans with a friend of mine to go to Endless Love the week after Valentine's. :)

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 265 comments Karen Kirst my favorite is the Midnight Chocolate cupcake!

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Melody wrote: "I have plans with a friend of mine to go to Endless Love the week after Valentine's. :)"

The trailer looks good. May have to check it out. :)

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Jennifer wrote: "Karen Kirst my favorite is the Midnight Chocolate cupcake!"

That sounds yummy, Jennifer. I am currently eating a slice of my mom's coconut cake that I bypassed Cheesecake Factory's cheesecake for. Yep, it's that good. :)

message 41: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I haven't actually seen a trailer, my friend just wanted to go, and I am always up for a movie so that's how the plans got made. :)

message 42: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 340 comments Melody wrote: "A couple years back my bro took me on a "date" since we were both single, he got me a rose too. It was adorable."

So sweet!

The only plan I have for that day is to be at work! Will probably be sharing Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney with my 3-5 year olds.

message 43: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Rustand (roxannerustand) | 1 comments It's fun to read about all of your Valentine's Day plans. And Jennifer's coconut cake sounds wonderful! :)

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments The only plan I have for that day is to be at work! Will..."

Wendy,
How do you get through those books without crying? Every time I try to read the Love You Forever book, I can hardly finish it and my boys are looking at me funny.

message 45: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Melody wrote: "They do it here, my niece and nephew love Valentine's day. I loved it as a kid too. I still have a box of Valentine's from like 1st grade. :) That's when the day was fun! I used to buy stuff for my..."

How thoughtful of you to do that for your mom! And now I wish I had a brother...too sweet. :)

message 46: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 340 comments Karen wrote: "The only plan I have for that day is to be at work! Will..."

Wendy,
How do you get through those books without crying? Every time I try to read the Love You Forever book, I can hardly finish it an..."

I have no idea!

message 47: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Thanks Karen, I wish everyone had bros like mine. It would be one happy world. ;)

message 48: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Melody wrote: "Thanks Karen, I wish everyone had bros like mine. It would be one happy world. ;)"

"LIKE"

message 49: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Mel it would be nice to have bros like you. I dont have that much of a relationship with mine. When dad died he tried to take over as the man of the house and he still acts like that,.

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments My hubby and I had fun at our church's Valentine banquet last night. I'm amazed at others' creativity when it comes to transforming a gym into a special retreat. The best part was when they had couples come up to play the Newlywed Game. The cutest question was this-how would you describe your first kiss with name of candy ie Starburst, Hot Tamales, etc. Are any of you attending a banquet or have you in the past?

« previous 1