UNC Children's Literature in Elementary and Middle Schools discussion

Discussion for After Tupac and D Foster

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carly (new)

Carly | 12 comments While reading this book, I was surprised and a little intimidated by the diversity. I also understood how readers can have a hard time connecting to a book when he/she doesn't relate to the main characters. Did you have trouble connecting with the three girls as well?

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia Drabick | 13 comments Personally, I had no problem connecting with the three girls. Regardless of their race or culture, I could relate to the way they cherished their friendship and dealt with growing both up and apart. I actually applaud Woodson for presenting the characters in the way that she did -- she did so in such a real and brave way.

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Blackerby | 12 comments I did not experience any difficulty connecting with the characters. I think the growing pains they experienced are universal, regardless of hometown, race, or family dynamic. However, I agree that the book might be difficult to relate to for certain children, especially because of the setting.

message 4: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Mathis | 12 comments I struggled to relate to the characters, but not because of their culture. Rather, I have never had close friendships like the girls in the book had, so I had a difficult time imagining how they felt throughout the story.

message 5: by Brotha (new)

Brotha Man (dariusw) | 10 comments I personally did not struggle connecting with the main characters. I was always told that I had an "old spirit" and that's what I felt as I got to know the girls more throughout the novel, I could see that these girls were very aware of the world around them at a young age. I too had to learn to grow up at a young age so I understood where the girls were coming from. Even though they lived in New York, I could relate to growing up in a neighborhood where everyone knew each other and your friends live really close to you.

message 6: by Alston (new)

Alston | 9 comments I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and had no problem connecting to the three girls. Despite my differences from the main characters I could almost picture myself and two of my best friends sitting outside of my house. The girls did not talk of superficial things. They had deep conversations regarding what they wanted out of life. It reminded me of being young and being so dramatic regarding anything that went wrong.