Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
This topic is about Fool Moon
Archive - Series Reads > Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2) - February 2014

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathie (new) - added it

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Here is the 2nd in the Harry Dresden series:

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Lune fauve (Les dossiers Dresden, #2) by Jim Butcher Luna Llena by Jim Butcher Wolfsjagd (Die dunklen Fälle des Harry Dresden, #2) by Jim Butcher Fool Moon  by Jim Butcher

Harry Dresden--Wizard
Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Business has been slow. Okay, business has been dead. And not even of the undead variety. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. But lately, Harry Dresden hasn't been able to dredge up any kind of work--magical or mundane.

But just when it looks like he can't afford his next meal, a murder comes along that requires his particular brand of supernatural expertise.

A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon. Take three guesses--and the first two don't count..

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 5949 comments Mod
I'm in on this one too! Starting in a couple weeks.

message 3: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
I started this weekend. It looks promising.

ElvenRaven | 244 comments I've already read this one (in fact, I've read the first five books in the series, they're addictive!). It was very good, Butcher really knows how to weave folk tales into this novel. I'd love to see what everyone else thinks about it :)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I am in the same situation, I read Blood Rites in January and this month I am going to read at least two more :), but I am really intrigued by others' opinions and read the threads on Harry with great interest and pleasure :)

Sheena Davis (sheenad) | 5 comments I'm looking forward to starting ...

message 7: by Zoe (new) - added it

Zoe | 5 comments Started this one yesterday. It's good so far though perhaps hasn't grabbed me quite as much as Storm Front did at first.

message 8: by Portia (new)

Portia Teueeerkpiuuuuuûuuuu

Katy Mann | 278 comments I've started it, and I'm a ways in. Love Bob's layout of the different kind of werewolves...something tells me Harry's going to meet them all...

The series is great fun so far. Going back to keep reading!

Carmen (shutterbugg) | 70 comments I started over the weekend. Nice, easy read so far. I just reached chapter 20, and I must say I was surprised to see (view spoiler)

ElvenRaven | 244 comments Bob is a great character! Between Harry and him, the level of snark in this book is really high.

Carmen, (view spoiler)

What did you guys think about the action scenes? We get a lot of them in this book and I thought they were really well done.

message 12: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Paugh I am about halfway through. I am using Whispersync. The audio quality is improved over the first book, but still needs to develop. Other than that, I am enjoying this book more than I did Storm Front. Harry is developing as a character. It is good that Bob is back. I also like Chauncey?, the demon with the Oxford accent. I still have not figured out who did it.

message 13: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments The werewolves and the mystery keep getting more tangled. Lots of intrigue. Who to trust? (view spoiler)

message 14: by Katy (last edited Feb 08, 2014 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Cin wrote: "Bob is a great character! Between Harry and him, the level of snark in this book is really high.

Carmen, [spoilers removed]

What did you guys think about the action scenes? We get a lot of them i..."

There were a lot of action scenes in this one. I thought they were handled well, as they were made a part of the plot. Sometimes I feel like action scenes are added clumsily into books, but these were needed. They also serve to show the violence and intensity of the werewolf world.

And they show a drain on the characters, though I'm not sure how much more poor Harry can get bashed and walk away.

Carmen (shutterbugg) | 70 comments Cin, I agree, Bob is awesome!

I also agree with Katy that the action scenes were necessary to show the violence and intensity of the werewolf world but sometimes the scenes seem too intense for the main character. There should be some close calls but too many fights seem to take a pound of Harry's flesh and a chunk of his soul; one man only has so much to give.

Nevertheless, it is not distracting me from enjoying the journey. In fact, I'm going to read a bit more now before I turn in for the night.

Marnie (marnie19) | 116 comments I have finished this and have to say I liked the first book better. I thought the first book was funnier and though Bob made a cameo I missed the snark and humor he brought to Storm Front. I do enjoy Harry as a character and will continue with the series. I think I will listen to the third book- maybe that will change it up for me.

message 17: by Katy (last edited Feb 08, 2014 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Marnie wrote: "I have finished this and have to say I liked the first book better. I thought the first book was funnier and though Bob made a cameo I missed the snark and humor he brought to Storm Front. I do en..."

This book had different feel from the first. I think lot has to do with the foe(s) Harry if facing, and the violence of their world. (view spoiler) Also (view spoiler)

I look forward to the next book.

Sheena Davis (sheenad) | 5 comments One thing that I really liked about this book was that I feel like I got a better understand of Harry's character. I thought Fool Moon did a better job of actually showing us who Harry is through his actions and rationals than the first book.

In both books, there are several mentions of his soul-gazes ... I'm curious to find out what it is that people see in him. I get the feeling that he is remarkable in some wizarding-magical way. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Cathie wrote: "Here is the 2nd in the Harry Dresden series:

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim ButcherFool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim ButcherFool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim ButcherFool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim ButcherLune fauve (Les dossiers Dresden, #2) by Jim Butcher[bookc..."

Cathie, are we going to be reading the third book in March? I was going to order it now and get started, if we are. I'm enjoying the series. Let me know!

message 20: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Sheena wrote: "One thing that I really liked about this book was that I feel like I got a better understand of Harry's character. I thought Fool Moon did a better job of actually showing us who Harry is through h..."

I'm looking forward to the future installments. Hope they will shed some light on his family history. I liked how the demon who gave him hints about his family's past seemed so "nice," putting on glasses, etc., and then showed himself as he truly was. And Harry realized he had nearly fallen into the trap...

message 21: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4071 comments Mod
Katy - Yes the group will be reading #3 from the 16th of March.

For future reference you just need to look at the group's bookshelf to see what is planned https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 22: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Lynn wrote: "Katy - Yes the group will be reading #3 from the 16th of March.

For future reference you just need to look at the group's bookshelf to see what is planned https://www.goodreads.com/group/bookshel..."

Thanks.

message 23: by Rida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rida Sajid | 195 comments I finished it last week and liked it alot. But I loved storm front more. But this was also a quick read and although I really am feeling addictive to this series but still I have made a commitment to myself to read only one book of this series in one month.

But this story is more mysterious then Storm Front. and I cant figure out one question though, (view spoiler)

Diana Gotsch | 37 comments One of my favorite series. Well written a nice blend of horror and humor. I love the way he blends the real world and the fantasy one. Bob rules.

message 25: by Dany (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dany (danyspike) | 7 comments I liked this one SO much more than the first one, I'm really glad I stuck to this series. I just hope they treat Harry better in the next books because he had some rough couple of days in this one!

message 26: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Paugh I am about halfway through Grave Peril, the third in the series. It is also enjoyable. I also watched the tv shows available through Amazon Prime. I thought the portrayal of Harry was excellent - in fact all the characters were developed and portrayed well. It was fun seeing Bob represented in human form, though he was still a spirit.

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dany wrote: "I liked this one SO much more than the first one, I'm really glad I stuck to this series. I just hope they treat Harry better in the next books because he had some rough couple of days in this one!"

I'm 70-75% through this one and I'm liking it better than Storm Front too. I've heard that the beating of Harry is somewhat a theme in the series, so I hope it doesn't get too old.

message 28: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Diana wrote: "One of my favorite series. Well written a nice blend of horror and humor. I love the way he blends the real world and the fantasy one. Bob rules."

I really like the series. I hadn't read any wizard series before (I know, the shock!) and this one is a lot of fun. Glad this group decided to read it.

message 29: by Rida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rida Sajid | 195 comments Katy wrote: "Diana wrote: "One of my favorite series. Well written a nice blend of horror and humor. I love the way he blends the real world and the fantasy one. Bob rules."

I really like the series. I hadn't..."

Katy, its my first wizard read too. And I think I like this because this book has a good humour

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finished this one. I liked it better than Storm Front, but there are a few things that still bother me about the series so far. Does anyone else get annoyed with Harry always focusing on how everything is his fault? He thinks everything is because of something he did or didn't do. It's very frustrating to me.

Anyway, I ended up giving this one 4 stars, though I didn't like it as much as most of my other 4 star books. Really more of a 3.5 star book for me. I plan to keep going with the series, but I think I'm going to take a little break and try to catch up on some other books / series first.

message 31: by Dany (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dany (danyspike) | 7 comments Yes! I hated how he kept blaming himself for everything. I also disliked how Karen distrusts him all the time and she always thinks the worst of him. It was too annoying at some points.

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

That bothered me too! She has such potential to be an amazing, strong female character, but when it comes to Harry she's suddenly stupid. He saved your life and you know it, but you still want to arrest him because you don't trust him? Ugh.

message 33: by Rida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rida Sajid | 195 comments Booth the points bother me but I think the reason why Harry blames himself may be a result of the things that happened in past.

And Karren.........I cant believe her. how come Harry thinks of her as a friend when she doesnt trust him a bit

Diana Gotsch | 37 comments Kristie wrote: "That bothered me too! She has such potential to be an amazing, strong female character, but when it comes to Harry she's suddenly stupid. He saved your life and you know it, but you still want to a..."

Keep reading the series I think you will like where she is going

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I will Diana!

Carmen (shutterbugg) | 70 comments Intriguing, Diana! I'd better request the third book now!

message 37: by Rida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rida Sajid | 195 comments Diana wrote: "Kristie wrote: "That bothered me too! She has such potential to be an amazing, strong female character, but when it comes to Harry she's suddenly stupid. He saved your life and you know it, but you..."

Well thats good to hear. I really liked her character in Storm Front

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments I really enjoyed the were lore that Butcher created in this story. That is really a strength in this series, the depth of world-building.

I also like the Butcher is not afraid to have bad things happen to characters. He has created a world on the edge. To be true to that world, bad things can't only happen to bad guys.

message 39: by Katy (last edited Mar 07, 2014 07:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Valerie wrote: "I really enjoyed the were lore that Butcher created in this story. That is really a strength in this series, the depth of world-building.

I also like the Butcher is not afraid to have bad things ..."

I really liked this installment in the series

message 40: by Rida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rida Sajid | 195 comments Valerie wrote: "I really enjoyed the were lore that Butcher created in this story. That is really a strength in this series, the depth of world-building.

I also like the Butcher is not afraid to have bad things ..."

I've been wondering why this series seems so different but wasn't able to pinpoint it. But now I found it

message 41: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (last edited Apr 04, 2014 09:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I'm late to the party. I just finished the second book.
**could be viewed as a spoiler, better safe than sorry**
(view spoiler)

Kinda seems like a rant.. but I swear for the most part I did enjoy it. Haha!

message 42: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments ☆αlly☆ (litєrαry єscαpist) wrote: "I'm late to the party. I just finished the second book.
**could be viewed as a spoiler, better safe than sorry**
Overall I enjoyed it, Harry is so self deprecating - but at least in a funny way. Bo..."

This one was my favorite of the series so far.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments How far along are you Katy?

message 44: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments I'm current with the group, having finished Grave Peril and started Summer Knight. I still like Fool Moon the best. One thing I like about the series is that the situations of Grave Peril (next book) and the characters of Fool Moon will reappear in the future books.

I only recently became active in GoodReads, and I love that I can discuss books I'm reading, and if someone else picks up on the same thread lager, I get a note in my in-box. So I can still yammer about the book!

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments One of my favorite parts of Fool Moon was finding out what Tera was.
My least favorite thing about this book, honestly, was Harry repeating "Hells Bells" every chapter. I kept getting that stupid ACDC song stuck in my head.

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

☆αlly☆ (litєrαry єscαpist) wrote: "My least favorite thing about this book, honestly, was Harry repeating "Hells Bells" every chapter. I kept getting that stupid ACDC song stuck in my head."

LOL!! :D