Fiction Writers discussion

Books General Discussions > JK Rowling Regrets Having Ron and Hermione Marry Each other?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Dalson (michelledalson) | 2 comments So apparently Rowling wishes she never made the choice and would rather have had Harry and Hermione marry each other since their personalities are more compatible. I have I say that I personally feel it was better that Harry and Hermione did not get married. Harry, Ron and Hermione are a trio and Harry stands out as the main character out of the trio. To have him marry Hermione would have made him seem less of the main standout from the trio. I don't know what to say about having Ron and Hermione marrying each other but I do think that's better than having Harry marry Hermione. Maybe it would look better if the three of them all married separate ppl? Idk but I'm glad Harry can still stand out from the three since he did marry a separate person that would not be considered a part of their triangle. Any thoughts?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez I haven't read the books in forever, I don't know much about the books as I should since I skimmed through the last ones just to say I finished it.
That being said, I thought it was great she didn't marry Harry and Hermoine. I think doing that would be the easy way out. I kinda liked how it turned out as she originally wrote it more natural than a forced relationship between the two.

if that makes any sense?

message 3: by Simply (new)

Simply (ninjaofthekeyboard) I completely disagree with her doubt. Ron and Hermione have made a FANTASTIC couple. It could be that her fans' silly "fanfictions" have swayed her opinion, but Ron and 'Mione have made an ideal couple since the books began to suggest a relationship between them. Next she's going to say that Hermione could have been with Draco.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Simply wrote: "I completely disagree with her doubt. Ron and Hermione have made a FANTASTIC couple. It could be that her fans' silly "fanfictions" have swayed her opinion, but Ron and 'Mione have made an ideal co..."
while I agree with you on the correct couple. I can't really blame here for wanting to change it. she's had time to think on that ending. it must have been bugging her, I know it would bug me even if it was the perfect ending you know?

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Dalson (michelledalson) | 2 comments Yea I always prefer to have the unexpected happen...for example, Harry and Hermione just seem like they would be the predictable couple since Harry is the protagonist an Hermione makes a good heroine. It just makes it obvious that they should end up together but I'm glad that the story took a different turn and had Hermione end up with someone else over Harry; it didn't even necessarily have to be Ron. But they do seem to make a good couple anyway since they do seem rather unlikely for each other

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber Forbes (thedancingwriter) | 19 comments Mod
All authors inevitably regret something. That's my personal take on it. John Green said in a recent interview that he wished he wouldn't have did what he did (for those who haven't read TFiOS, so no spoilers here), probably because writing it is one thing, but seeing it on screen is another.

I saw it from book three that Ron and Hermione would pretty much end up together, so Rowling set herself up for that from the start.

message 7: by Denise (last edited Feb 12, 2014 03:43PM) (new)

Denise Jewell | 3 comments Rowling said she set it up from the beginning so all the continuing books remained with the set up but as the stories went on she didn't like putting Hermione with Ron but just continued with how it was set up originally. I never liked Ron and Hermione together,friends yes but not anything more. Hermione with anyone to me is better than her with Ron.

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber Forbes (thedancingwriter) | 19 comments Mod
I am moving this topic to books general discussions.

message 9: by Andromeda (new)

Andromeda (yavie) | 1 comments I think that they all should have married different people. That way if there are any future stories there are more possibilities. Having them be together is like keeping them in the dorms forever. Also Draco and Harry should become friends, just saying that Draco grew at the end and he understood reality. That would change a person and that is also how a lot of guys become friends, rivals in school and then friends once they are out. Also most of their friends have been killed, so that should bond them together.