The Malazan Fallen discussion

Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
This topic is about Dust of Dreams
Group Read - Dust of Dreams > DoD: Chapter Twelve - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Discuss Chapter 1 only. Please make liberal use of spoiler tags when discussing other books/series-wide implications.

message 2: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
So Tool leads 100 elite Barghast from the Senan clan, all his most ardent critics, to check out the damage done by the storm to the Snakehunter clan. Tool tells them that this is an ancient enemy returned and that they should all run. But the Senan are more interested in deposing Tool as Warleader. After easily dispatching one challenger Tool offers to step down and let someone else take the reigns – but urges them to take cover.

In my last words as Warleader, I say this: gather the White Face Barghast, gather all the clans, and march to the Lether Empire. Seek sanctuary. A deadly enemy has returned to these plains, an ancient enemy.

While this is going on, a 4000 strong war party of the Barahn clan spot Tool with only 100 protectors and make their move. Tool senses the pending slaughter and acts to sacrifice himself to save the Senan warriors with him

‘Drive the knife deep, directly under my heart. When I fall, begin shouting these words—as loud as you can. Shout “Tool is dead! Onos Toolan lies slain! Our Warleader lies dead!” Do you understand me, Bakal?’

Tool ends up forcing Bakal to the deed, effectively suiciding – the Barahn, seeing that Tool is dead announce their leader, Maral Eb, as Warleader. The Senan are spared, but Tool’s body is desecrated. And Hetan and Tool’s children are now in real danger

His allies among the Senan had already been instructed to steal for him the twin daughters of Hetan. He would bring them into his own household and when they reached blooding age he would take them as his wives. Hetan’s fate he left to others. There was the young boy, the true son of the Imass, and he would have to be killed, of course.

Hetan senses Tool’s death – but Erikson throws a spanner in the works. Olar Ethil shows up on the plains – and she is none too keen on just letting Tool slide away

‘The fool presses a knife to his chest. He thinks it is done. He too knows nothing, because, you see, I will not let go.’

Remembering that Olar Ethil is the first Imass bonecaster, soletaken undead dragon, and elder goddess. We already know from the last chapter that the Errant has summoned her – but she was also given a mission from the Herald of Death ie Toc the Younger to help out Torrent

‘I know your name. The one-eyed Herald begged me on your behalf.’ She snorted. ‘As if I am known for mercy.’
‘The one-eyed Herald?’
‘The Dead Rider, out from Hood’s Hollow. He knows little respite of late. An omen harsh as a crow’s laugh, thus comes Toc the Younger—

It appears that Toc had badgered Olar Ethil in her dreams, unwilling to let her alone until she complied with his request

but do I not cherish the privacy of my dreams? He is rude.’

So Olar has found herself in a neat little triangle of association here – Toc, Tool and Torrent are all connected with each other – but I’m not sure what that means exactly.

The Akrynnai military strike back at the Barghast – but the battle is interrupted when the storms comes along and makes mince meat of Akrynnai and Barghast alike.

And the Shake finally arrive at their destination – which is Kharkanas – the lost and dead city of the Tiste Andii.

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments And Lori hated the White Face before Tool's death. Makes me wonder, what did Tool see in them that made him willing to sacrifice himself for them? And I don't think Tool was protecting his hundred. I'm pretty sure that Tool could have wiped out enough of the 4000 to get them to back off. So I think he was protecting the White Face generally.

message 4: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 4 stars

Duffy wrote: "I'm pretty sure that Tool could have wiped out enough of the 4000 to get them to back off. So I think he was protecting the White Face generally. "

Yeah, you are right. He chooses to sacrifice himself rather than spill any Barghast blood - unless he's protecting them from something else - like Olar Ethil? In any case, he's also sacrificing Hetan and his children but I'm not sure if he is aware of that. It's something I would think he should be aware of unless he is on a totally different wavelength all together that he misses it

message 5: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
Those idiots don't deserve Tool's sacrifice. I assume (hope?) that Olar is going to return him to his undead old self.

Tool really carries this chapter. He hasn't been in the series very much, but I always enjoy when he is. Maybe a little more as the undead companion of Laseen than in his human, can't we all get along?, form.

Duffy raises a good question about his sacrifice. He had previously asked Bakal if they could afford for him to kill 1000. If he's unwilling to sacrifice those 1000, he certainly wouldn't sacrifice 4000. But why?

I have no idea myself. They certainly don't seem worth it.

Sumant Remembering that Olar Ethil is the first Imass bonecaster, soletaken undead dragon, and elder goddess

So you need a bone caster to release you from the ritual ? then how did itokovian release so many imass ?.

message 7: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 4 stars

No, you need a flesh and blood bonecaster (Silverfox) to be released from the ritual. Itkovian took the Imass pain - but he didn't release them from Tellan - in fact the Imass are still undead because they asked Silverfox to hold off releasing them so they could go to help a lost tribe fighting a war on another continent. Only Tool asked to be released.
But maybe Olar Ethil can remake the ritual of tellan?

Linette | 152 comments I want Tool to come back too...but I sure hope they give him a new body if he does. The old one is a little...scattered/shattered, even for an Imass.

I can't see Hetan and her children dying easily, will be interesting to see what happens next.

Still don't know what the storm is...but it leaves tracks and levels mountains.

Can't wait to see more of Kharkanas.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments I liked Tool a lot better undead than alive, but this was still a sad chapter. I don't have anything to add about his motives, really. I've been assuming that once he adopted them as his people his Imass sense of loyalty kicked in, but it seems awfully understated anyway.

message 10: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
I can't see Hetan and her children dying easily, will be interesting to see what happens next.

Well now that Tool is dead, the tribe will most likely hobble her and slit the throats of the children. Bakal has said as much, although they will have nothing to do with it. It doesn't bode well on their return for Heten and family. Although we know that Hetan and her soon has an idea already that he is dead.

Can't wait to see more of Kharkanas. When we finish Crippled God we are off to Kharkanas in Forge of Darkness, yo'll get plenty of that city in that book :)