Mr. Kovach 4th and 5th period reading group discussion

independent ook questions due 2-10-14

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. Kovach (new)

Mr. Kovach (ckovachfranklinboeorg) | 25 comments Mod
1) What is the title of your current independent book?

2) Why did you select this book to read?

3) When did you start it and when will you be done?

4) Describe the overall mood of the book. Also describe the setting of the book and how this contributes to the mood.

5) Describe two writing techniques the author uses in this book that you could also use in your own writing.

6) If the real you was a character in the book, who would you give advice to and how would this change what happens in the book?

7) What kind of research do you think the author of this book had to do before writing the book? Explain your answer.

8) Have you added this book to your "currently reading" shelf yet?

9) How many books have you completely read this year? Are you on track to read 20 before summer vacation starts?

10) If you could write one book, what would it be about and why?

message 2: by Taj (last edited Feb 04, 2014 04:28PM) (new)

Taj (UhTaj) | 21 comments 1] Foul Trouble by John Feinstein

2] I like the book because the book is about basketball and basketball is my favorite sport.

3] I started this book a week ago and I will be done by Thursday or Friday.

4] The mood is a happy mood and the setting is mostly in a basketball
gymnasium In Boston, Massachusetts

5] The author is being descriptive about the characters mood and he is also describing how the characters look very well.

6] I would tell the main character Terrell to know who his real friends are.

7] He would go on the Internet and see who the #1 player in highschool
Basketball is and find out his personality.

8] Yes

9] I have read 10 or 11 books and yes

10] It would be about sports because I love sports

message 3: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 23 comments 1)The book I am currently independently reading is Loser.

2)I selected this book because my friend had read Loser earlier this year and said I might like to read it.

3)I started it January 18,2014 and I actually finished it today and will be starting another book.

4)The overall mood can be a little sad sometimes because the main character is a little different and gets pick on sometimes. The setting of this book takes place mainly in school and contributes to this sad mood because he gets picked on in school sometimes.

5)The writer uses good visualization so you feel like you are really in the moment at times. He also uses good descriptive writing and vocabulary that could also help me.

6)I first of all would try to be the friend Zinkoff needs. I would tell him to keep being the person he is even if it is a little different and don't let what the kids say get to him.

7)I think maybe he could have researched bullying and maybe watched how different types of children interact.

8)Yes, I have added this book to my currently reading shelf.

9)I have read 13 books not counting the books in class. I think I am on track for 20 books.

10)If I could write one book I think I would write it about how to get along better in school and be a good friend. I would write about this because we all could use some tips on getting through the tough school years.

message 4: by Janally1220 (new)

Janally1220 | 21 comments 1) the book I am currently reading is the son of Neptune.

2) I chose this book because Im reading a series so I had to read the next book since the first book was really good.

3) I started the book last week and it's getting good so far, and I think I'm going to be done with it by next week because the book is about 500 pages long.

4) the moods of my book are mostly confused and scared. I say these are the moods because Percy has been running from monsters not knowing why since he lost his memory and now Romans are assuming he is a Greek towards his appearance and his smell, and what's bad about that is, Romans dispose Greeks. And if the Romans/ campers of Jupiter found out Percy is a Greek...things would end bad.

5) Two good writing strategies that the author is using very well that I would use in my writing are, good visualization because in ever fighting moment he uses the best words to describe the setting. For example: Sparks of lightning circled the sky as if Zeus himself was angry makin the whole area sparkle with flashes of white. Another good strategie the author uses is character defining because I like the way he has the book set up. After every 10 pages or so the character changes. With this every character has there own set of opinion and mind to say whatever they wanna say. And I would defiantly use that.

6) i would give advice to hazel. I would tell her that percy needs someone to guide him and to tell him what to do because he is confused and needs some guiding to understand what's happening.

7) To write this book, the kind of research the author did was mostly roman mythology and Greek mythology because the whole whole book is Greek mythology fiction.

8) yes, this book is in my current reading shelf.

9) I have completed 3 books so far, and yes I have read a total of 11 books so far including:
•The battle of the labyrinth
•The Last Olymipan
•Dork Diaries
•Greek Mythology
•How to Survive In Middle School
•The Hunger Games
•Catching Fire
•Eight Grade Bites
•Dork Diaries #2
•The Lost Hero
•The Son Of Neptune

10) If I were to write a book, I would write a horror mystery. I would write a horror mystery because I like the suspense and the thriller and I would like to see how the readers would react to this.

message 5: by Michael (last edited Feb 10, 2014 08:33AM) (new)

Michael | 25 comments 1.It is the ship of dreams.
2.Because the title sound interesting.
3.last week,many i will finish it this week
4.it is a sad and happy mixed mood.the setting made it a happy place until the boat starting to sink
5.writes in paragraphs.uses complete sentences.
6.peole going on the titanic.
7.historical research
8.yes
9.about 10.yes
10ww2.because i know a lot obout it

message 6: by Bryanna (last edited Feb 10, 2014 08:32AM) (new)

Bryanna marie  vazquez | 17 comments 1) What is the title of your current independent book?
The last 3 days of summer!!!
I picked this becasue i read

4) Describe the overall mood of the book. Also describe the setting of the book and how this contributes to the mood.

5) Describe two writing techniques the author uses in this book that you could also use in your own writing.

6) If the real you was a character in the book, who would you give advice to and how would this change what happens in the book?

7) What kind of research do you think the author of this book had to do before writing the book? Explain your answer.

9) How many books have you completely read this year? Are you on track to read 20 before summer vacation starts?

message 7: by Jocelyn (last edited Feb 12, 2014 07:28AM) (new)

Jocelyn Galindo | 18 comments 1) What is the title of your current independent book?
The Diary Of A Young Girl
I selected this book because it was recommended to me by my friend Nelly.
I Started last week and I'll be done by two weeks.
The mood of my character Anne Frank is that she's scared and sad because they are killing all the jewish people and she's jewish.
It's a diary. Anne Frank wrote it herself. But she used correct spelling, punctuation, and feelings/emotion.
I would tell her to keep staying in the attic and I don't think it will change anything because she tried hiding and only god knows why this happened.
It's a diary, so the author didn't do any research. Anne Frank wrote it herself so she just described her feelings.
Yes
10 books and they are all from when school, started.
10) If you could write one book, what would it be about and why? I Don't Know I think it would be about love because I'm an expert on it.

message 8: by Kyana (new)

Kyana | 20 comments 1) What is the title of your current independent book?
*My current independent book that i am reading is the lying game

i picked this book because i love this book because it is filled with mystery's and emotion.

i stared this book 2-2-14 and i will end it i think by
2-11-14

the mood of the book is sad and happy it is mostly sad becuase they keep losing people they lot

message 9: by Amor (last edited Feb 12, 2014 07:52AM) (new)

Amor | 10 comments 1) The book i'm currently reading is (Vampire High Sophomore year.)
2) I'm reading this book because the book is about people Vampires and how they are in the normal human world.
3)

message 10: by Josue (new)

Josue | 11 comments 1) I am currently reading The Scorch Trials.

2) I'm reading this book because its the second book in the series and i would like to know what happens to Thomas and the rest of his group.

3) I have only started it last week but i have had no time to read.Will finish it by tonight.

4) The overall mood of the book is that almost everything wants to kill you in this wasteland. The setting is a large scorching flatland and this helps to show that the place is trying to kill you. will fix later

message 11: by Jared (last edited Feb 12, 2014 07:03AM) (new)

Jared Michael Lugo (jaredlugo) | 27 comments 1.) Percy Jackson " Sea Of Monsters."
2.) I selected this book because I love fantasy and things that are not real.
3.) I started it last week and I will be done with it in about 3 days.
4.) This book is on Earth and in the forest this makes me feel in a hyper mood.
5.) Claim6.) I would give advice to Percy because he almost dies and his brother gives up his life for him. So I can tell him to move and he won't see his brother die in front of him.
7.) Before writing this book the author had to search up Greek mythology because that's what the book is based upon.
8.) Mr. Kovach I need help with that.
9.) I have read 6 books because I came at the end of November as a new student. Also yes I think I can read about a total of 20 books before summer vacation.
10.) If I were to write a book I would base it upon my life because I have a big future set out for mes and thinking

message 12: by Barkisu (last edited Feb 12, 2014 07:38AM) (new)

Barkisu | 20 comments 1) What is the title of your current independent book?
Spin the bottle by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel
I thought this book was interesting and fun to read by the cover and the summary of the book on the back of the book.
I started last thursday and will try to finish on the weekend.
The book has a friendly vibe and very kind and smooth.
The author uses metaphors and the changing of the theme.
I would give advice to Phoebe because Phoebe is a person that very insecure and needs help to figure things out and make right choice. If I gave her this advice she wouldn't play spin the bottle
The author research the life style and fears of teenagers.
yes
9) How many books have you completely read this year? Are you on track to read 20 before summer vacation starts? i have read aleast ten books and are destine to read 50 books before the summer.
10) If you could write one book, what would it be about and why? the book be about student that you sit next that constantly talk so loud and dont care about there work and grow up to be bums on the streets while you listen and become a buisness person this is alearning lesson for the people she sit next to.

message 13: by Coolster (last edited Feb 12, 2014 07:51AM) (new)

Coolster Freeman (TheBeast1239) | 15 comments 1) What is the title of your current independent book?
= Maze Runner

= Because it caught my attention.

= I started in 2 weeks ago and i'm going to finish it in 3 weeks.

= it is exciting and thrilling.

= She uses a lot of metaphors.

= If I was in the book. The book would be a comedy. I say this because i'm funny.

= He/She probably researched about life without family and living with strangers.

= Yes I have.

= 8 books.

= It would a comedy book. Because I comedy.

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan | 15 comments 1. I am number four.
2. i saw the movie
3. i started like a week ago and will finish in a week.
4. The book right now has a lot of action. The setting is in the jungle and it is very more action.
5. The way he uses his emotion in the characters words.
6. I would give advice to john because he is going through stuff right now.
7. He would of read other books by famous authors so she could of shown more expression on the characters.
8. yes
9. I have completed at least 5 books.
10. About boys

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin Bethea | 2 comments 1) What is the title of your current independent book?
anyas ghost
i thought it was interesting.
i started 2 weeks ago and i think im gonna be done maybe this week.
sad and adventure aand this takes place in anyas school and a old well.
strong emotional words and transition.
i would be anya and i wouldnt have fell in the well and wouldnt have left the bus stop.
not much because its make believe.
no but i will soon.
ive read about 8 books this year im planning on getting to 15.
about sports because I'm really good at sports and sports is my life.

message 16: by Maher (new)

Maher | 1 comments 1) What is the title of your current independent book?
the prisoner of cell 25.
because i nerve read that book.
like around a week and i did not done reading the book.
that the person is so strange
i wold read something look like it
to my friend mr.dallstrom
the person that made the book made a lout of research
yes i did
yes i read 20 books
a book a bout my life.
flag *

message 17: by chris (new)

chris | 19 comments 1. diary of a wimpy kid jeff kenny

2. i want to read it because it has comedy and a little bit of problems

3. i started it 1 week ago

4. the mood of the book is it is good happy

5. uses comedy and it uses life experiecnce

6. i would have him to be smarter

7. comedy

8. 10

9. 10