50 books to read before you die discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
Book Discussions - 100 list > The Book Thief

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Our February Group Read from 100 Books They Didn't Tell Us About

Stephanie (goodreadscomsteph_books) One of the things that made me love this book so much and make it so intriguing was the question of who the narrator is. Who agrees with me?

Misha (itz_mie) read this book last month & it was simply brilliant... a 5 star read for me

Mayra (kaligurl_7) | 371 comments Stephanie wrote: "One of the things that made me love this book so much and make it so intriguing was the question of who the narrator is. Who agrees with me?"

I agree. I was a bit confused when i started reading it, but then i understood. I quickly got into it and really enjoyed it.

Buck (spectru) I read The Book Thief a while back. I don't remember there being a questions of who the narrator was, but who the narrator was made a big impact on the book. Before they released the movie, they never said who the narrator is nor did they reveal the actor who played the narrator.

To avoid a spoiler, I wont give away the identity of the narrator, but, who the narrator is is an original idea, and for me it is one of the things that elevates this book to a high level. It truly deserves to be on any list of best books.

Stephanie (goodreadscomsteph_books) Mayra wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "One of the things that made me love this book so much and make it so intriguing was the question of who the narrator is. Who agrees with me?"

I agree. I was a bit confused when i..."

Yeah it really made you think about who was telling the story but it turned out to make sense if you thought about it all at the end

Stephanie (goodreadscomsteph_books) Buck wrote: "I read The Book Thief a while back. I don't remember there being a questions of who the narrator was, but who the narrator was made a big impact on the book. Before they released the movie, they ..."

I agree with you completely. I think that the narrator really made the book stand out, that and the very warm, and strong characters you meet along the way

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Why is my memory confusing me? Thought we knew who the narrator was from the beginning?

Mayra (kaligurl_7) | 371 comments Buck wrote: "I read The Book Thief a while back. I don't remember there being a questions of who the narrator was, but who the narrator was made a big impact on the book. Before they released the movie, they ..."

Yes it is very original, and like you i think is part of what makes is a great book. I still have not seen the movie, but i did really like the book.

Stephanie (goodreadscomsteph_books) Mayra wrote: "Buck wrote: "I read The Book Thief a while back. I don't remember there being a questions of who the narrator was, but who the narrator was made a big impact on the book. Before they released the..."

I saw the movie and I thought it was a good book to movie adaptation. Of course they left out a few things but they had to because it was such a long book.

Stephanie (goodreadscomsteph_books) Lisa wrote: "Why is my memory confusing me? Thought we knew who the narrator was from the beginning?"

No you don't know exactly in the beginning, you find out towards the middle

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Stephanie wrote: "Mayra wrote: "Buck wrote: "I read The Book Thief a while back. I don't remember there being a questions of who the narrator was, but who the narrator was made a big impact on the book. Before the..."

I haven't seen the movie. Not even sure if it was out in my country. Certainly didn't see adverts

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Convinced I knew who the narrator was from the beginning. Saw the movie, it's beautiful

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments So I took my husband to see the movie. In SA it showed in the art-house cinemas. My husband was very wary- he did not enjoy Wuthering Heights therefore all art- house movies are bad.(He enjoyed many others though). It was incredible to watch him fall for the story, Rudy made him very anxious with his antics. He borrowed my book when we got home.

What we loved about this story is the portrayal of the average German family at the time- just a family surviving through social upheaval, living by their own morals and beliefs, questioning the societal views around them. It speaks a lot to what happened in my own country and reminds us how diverse and not stereotypical a population actually is.

message 15: by Buck (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buck (spectru) Your second time seeing the movie?

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Nope, I wrote this comment previously and it didn't post

Samantha (mrs-mouse) | 3 comments Absolutely loved & recommend this book! Strong! Poignant! Emotional! Full of life....& death. You will understand when you read it! One of my favourite books of all time.

Joyce Provost | 2 comments I too feel like the narrator's identity was known from almost the very beginning, or perhaps I just assumed and was correct. I'll have to go back and read again, because now I'm curious.

I really enjoyed this book, having no idea what it would be about when I started it. Probably my second favorite book I finished this year. I loved how Papa and Mama both opened their hearts to Leisel in different ways, and the bravery of Leisel.

Keisi Mançellari I really really loved this book. It is one of my favourites, (after To kill a mockingbird though). Everything from death's point of view seems interesting to me, but in this book it was different because it was not about death. It was about Liesel (well discrimination of the Jews in WW 2 but that is not my point). Her story is interesting, realistic and contains a moral.

Fällënãngēlš | 3 comments I loved the story. This was so refreshing and so new from what I read before. I loved the way the book was written and how it was written from death's POV. I recommend it to anyone who wants something refreshing and for someone who is willing to read for more than 24/7 non stop :P

message 21: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (maryingilbert) | 5 comments Loved the book! I believe it will be one of my all-time favorites. Thought the movie adaptation was excellent; and was happy I had read the book before seeing the movie.

And loved the unusual narrator.