Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > "tsundoku"

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz A Japanese word I saw mentioned on another site, which I really liked…

tsundoku: the act of leaving a book unread after buying it, typically piled up together with other such unread books

I would never do this… well… maybe once or twice (or a few hundred times!). ;-)

message 2: by K (new)

K | 286 comments I do this all the time, but I actually do have the intention of reading them all, it's just about finding the time.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I wonder if that includes to be read piles because I do eventually read them just not right after I buy it.

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments Maybe instead of calling my books shelves my library, I will call is my Tsundoku. Sounds cooler and it describes my shelves perfectly!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments Yes, I do this almost all the times I buy a book, but like Kiera, I do buy to read, eventually.

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments I am with you Fiona!

message 7: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz I rarely seem to read books soon after buying them, it usually takes a fair time to get around to reading them. I guess that since I buy used books you tend to buy books of interest when the opportunity arises rather than when you decide to read it - if you let that book pass through your hands it may be years until you find another copy (depending on what you are buying of course… some books seem to turn up as multiple copies in every single shop you visit!).

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments I fear I just might in the same boat with Fiona and Tiffany!

message 9: by Joseph (last edited Mar 06, 2014 07:10PM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Fiona wrote: "Laura wrote: "I fear I just might in the same boat with Fiona and Tiffany!"

Tiffany wrote: "I am with you Fiona!"

We'll have to bequeath them on our descendent when we die. Or maybe have our grav..."

My dream was always that I would just write my will to leave my house full of books to my town and let them make it the new public library. :-)

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments Joseph wrote: "Fiona wrote: "Laura wrote: "I fear I just might in the same boat with Fiona and Tiffany!"

Tiffany wrote: "I am with you Fiona!"

We'll have to bequeath them on our descendent when we die. Or maybe..."

Fiona, Laura, Joseph. I love all those ideas. Since I have not posterity at this time the option was to use them as my headstone, but I like the idea of using them as a new library. Hmm, I am so gonna think about that one.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) K....I'm going to have to memorize this word. That's brilliant. And yes, I do it all the time. Pretty much the state of many of my bookshelves.

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise | 280 comments Hmm my problem is, that whenever I feel sad, want to treat myself, want to go shopping, etc I buy a book.

I never buy hand bags, only buy shoes and clothes I absolutely need, rarely buy jewellery, make-up etc.

I buy books - that's what gives me the "reward feeling". As a result I have more than 1000 unread books - I want to read them all someday - but I don't stop buying books, audiobooks and e-books :-) Maybe I should have tsundoku engraved on my tombstone!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments And I thought I was bad with nearly 430 unread books...

message 14: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Thought you all might be interested in reading this: Are you a book hoarder? There's a word for that. http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/...