TV We've Just Watched discussion

Scifi/Fantasy > The Strain

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments Coming this summer on fx :) The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1) by Guillermo del Toro

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2654620/

FX will air the first, 13-episode season of "The Strain" -- based on a novel trilogy of the same name by del Toro and Chuck Hogan -- beginning in July 2014. The story unfolds after an airplane lands at JFK airport in New York City. With doors sealed and lights off, it's only after investigators enter that they find 200 victims and only four survivors of a mysterious pathogen.

The threat then spreads into the city at large. Traits that seem similar to legendary vampirism add an air of ancient mystery to the outbreak.

EP Carlton Cuse shed a bit more light (pun intended) on the series while at TCA 2014 winter press tour. "These are not sparkly, brooding dudes with fangs and romantic problems," he says. "These vampires, or to use the Romanian word, strigoi, are really scary creatures, and this is a really original re-imagining of vampire lore."

Really scary? Finally! I'm so there! Thanks Timothy!

message 3: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments No problem this is the only set of books ever to give me nightmares I can't wait for the show :)

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Wow, that's impressive, now I really want to see it!

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine I have this trilogy sitting on my shelves. Its time to read them before the series starts.

message 6: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments The series begins tonight anyone watching :)

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I recorded it but will watch tomorrow.

message 8: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments Yes. I read the first book and thought it was pretty scary. I like how they are treating the vampire lore. I just watched the pilot and really liked it. They seem to be following the book. My favorite character is the old Jewish vampire hunter.

message 9: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 110 comments Is this a spoiler discussion?

message 10: by Jackie (last edited Jul 14, 2014 04:43PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I say spoiler away, if a person hasn't seen the current episodes it's on them to stay away from the discussion.

If you want to use spoiler tags feel free to use them but I don't feel they are necessary in this group (with the exception of the British shows folder because the shows air many months later in the US).

message 11: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 110 comments Several issues I had with the episode:

1. The CDC taking lead on the investigation of a non-responsive plane. Say what?

2. An ultra-secret organization leaving the collection of the "coffin" to a two-time loser street thug?

3. The person the thug needs to approve him passing just happens to be in that small area of the airport? Sure, he could have been notified, but then he should have been closer to the exit gate. That very nearly failed big time.

4. The pawn shop owner could have led with, "Did they all die with small non-surgical slits in the throat, bodies drained of blood? Would you like to know more?"

Otherwise, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I was a little put off by it appearing to be vampire related. :(

message 12: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments Well it seems we have a non reader watching the show.:)

1. The cdc team is callled canarries the reason they go in first if suspected airplane or whatever is contagece.

2. The would be thug is being used as a patsy.

3. The guy was in the aera all ready :) and is working for the ultra secret orginzation :)

4. Read the books.

our vanhelsing wanabe is awesome :) favorite character.

message 13: by Randy (last edited Jul 14, 2014 07:27PM) (new)

Randy Harmelink | 110 comments A pilot that leisurely lands the plane and then rolls off to the side of the airport, without having the time to contact the control tower, creates a suspicious contagion situation? For me, no contact would mean anything EXCEPT contagion.

Would the CDC lead the investigation of a plane crash?

Just how many planes roll in like the one in the show, that they would have a designed contingency for it?

I would think anyone creating a contagious agent would WANT the passengers to disembark and go their separate ways, quietly and without notice. Preferably with a long incubation period.

If the thug is being used as a patsy, then the guy that approved him is a loose end and needs to die soon. And, even so, I would want a patsy I think is capable of doing the job. He's a chronic loser. Too easy to have him screw up.

So far, not impressed with the planning abilities of the ultra secret organization.

And, yes, the scene in the pawn shop sets him up as Mr. Awesome. :)

I shouldn't NEED to read the books to watch the show. :)

message 14: by Jackie (last edited Jul 14, 2014 08:31PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Let's not argue/debate reading the books or not. This is a TV Group, we don't have to read the books no matter how awesome they may be. And now that the books have been mentioned, then YES, when telling spoilers from the books absolutely use spoiler tags unless it's been shown on the TV show already.

OK, so my impressions on the initial episode:
The first 40 minutes could have been condensed into about 5 important minutes. The counseling session, who gives a shit, I don't know these people yet, don't care, get to the good stuff. I hate having my time wasted and those 40 minutes was just that.

The CDC going in first, I can get with that. Everyone on the plane is thought to be dead, sure, let them go in first. If it wasn't a contagion, then the other agencies would take over. No one said they were conducting an investigation of anything other than a suspected contagion, they were not investigating a plane crash.

There was no reason to think someone created the suspected contagion, these things happen in nature and spread fast. Containment is key to thwarting an epidemic.

I agree about Loser Driver. I suspect he'll be dead before dawn, but that's not the issue. My problem is why would they do business with such a disrespectful incompetent? They seem like an old organization, one that has a long reach, surely someone else was better qualified for this all important job. It's a big thing to have been left to such a wildcard.

The pawn shop owner could have said it better but it didn't bother me, I know the little bit he did manage to say will bring them to his doorstep for more.

I like the stringy host-seeking things. And the whole scene with the coroner. The Strain has great potential. And no, I did not read the books.

message 15: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 110 comments I was saying the CDC guy that approved loser guy also needs to die -- he's a loose end at this point.

My problem with the pawn shop guy is that it's all now reactive, instead of proactive. He needed to do more than get his foot in the door. But, then the story would have been over in a 2-hour movie of the week. :)

And, yes, I could have done without the counseling session. It's only purpose seemed to be to establish that he's an "important" epidemiologist.

I know I used to hate being "on call", and I didn't even have a family that would be affected by it.

message 16: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments I loved that scene at the end with the coroner, especially with Neil Diamond music playing. lol

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments That guy is definitely a loose end, it can only go one of two ways, either the organization kills him or his part in it is found out. I'm thinking the latter, just so we can get his backstory and see how they got him to comply or what they have over him.

Haha, Sweet Caroline was great! Reminds me of Helix with Do You Know The Way To San Jose.

message 18: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments The strain got picked up for a 2nd season :)

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'm not all that into it. The vampire things are quite disgusting and I like that, but it's too slow or something. If this were the Fall season, I'd have dropped it already, but since it's lean times for TV, it'll do. For now.

message 20: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments I am loving this and my husband has even gotten hooked in. It's some scary tv...In my opinion, it has gotten better and better. Just watched the last episode and SO curious about the story on the hunters (have not read the books) They are obviously not human.

message 21: by Jackie (last edited Aug 26, 2014 08:24AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments After last night's ep, I'm much more interested. Those Hunters! Yes!
The one thing I liked all along was how gross and scary the vampires are.

message 22: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 110 comments Agree, Jackie. I was floored when the hunters showed up.

message 23: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments very scary for TV!

message 24: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments I thought the last episode was awesome. I think there are more master vampires and not all of them want to destroy mankind.

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Nice theory, Kelley! I'm in.

message 26: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments Okay I've been building up my dvr episodes for a strian marathon since I think we got 2 more episodes left time for a rewatch for me :)

message 27: by Jackie (last edited Sep 03, 2014 03:27PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments IMDB has 5 more eps listed, going til the middle of October but no new episodes til mid September: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2654620/e...

It also has a Season 2 listed so I guess it's been renewed.

message 28: by Timothy (last edited Oct 24, 2014 08:55PM) (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments I am so happy i love the show since it is on fx we may have a 7 year run :)

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I wasn't impressed. I won't be back.