The Hobbit, or There and Back Again The Hobbit, or There and Back Again discussion

Fond Memories

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new) - added it

Sherry I actually first read this book when I was 12. To spare you from bothering with the math, that was 1975. The fact that I remember this so clearly is a testament to the impression that this book made on me.

This is probably the third time I've read this book, and it's just as enjoyable reading it as an adult as it was when I was a child. Every time I read it, I discover something new.

And while the movies have condensed it a bit and altered the language in minor ways, the mood and tone that the book originally invoked are there. Peter Jackson, a fan himself, has shown Tolkien's masterpiece the love and respect that this timeless story deserves.

Annemarie Donahue I read this book when I was 8. I honestly sat in Abington's public library and read it there. Everytime my mum took me there I read a little more. I don't think she ever knew that. I feel in love with the drawing of Smaug on the inside of the book and knew that I wanted that as a tattoo. 30 years later, I finally got that tattoo!

message 3: by Sherry (new) - added it

Sherry Annemarie wrote: "I read this book when I was 8. I honestly sat in Abington's public library and read it there. Everytime my mum took me there I read a little more. I don't think she ever knew that. I feel in love w..."

My daughter collects dragons. Coincidentally, I used to collect them myself. Now I just add to her collection. She's also been talking about getting a tattoo when she gets older. Would love to see yours, if it's in a place that's appropriate to show. LOL

Annemarie Donahue It's on my leg, I don't have any pics of it tho. I have a pretty decent dragon collection myself. Dragons and big blue call boxes are my favourite things!

message 5: by Sherry (new) - added it

Sherry Annemarie wrote: "It's on my leg, I don't have any pics of it tho. I have a pretty decent dragon collection myself. Dragons and big blue call boxes are my favourite things!"

Yes! Because "Bow ties are cool." lol

What do think of the new Dr. Who? I really liked Chris Eccleston. I was sorry to see him leave after only one season.

Annemarie Donahue I'm a Eccleston fan myself. David Tennat was wonderful and Matt Smith is my husband's fav. I'm excited about the new doctor coming out soon. And I loved that John Hurst played War Doctor! Very cool... like Stetson... Stetsons are cool.

Valorie I also read this as a young girl and loved it. Have been meaning to reread it for years and realized I really need to when I saw the first movie and didn't remember anything that happened so far.

Noon When I was a little girl, this book was always my first choice off the book shelf! My middle school teachers would become irritated because I always choose to do my book reports on The Hobbit or the LOTR Trilogy. In my opinion, J.R.R. Tolkien is one of the greatest authors of all time and his books will last forever!!! P.S. Allons-y!!!!!

Annemarie Donahue Noon wrote: "When I was a little girl, this book was always my first choice off the book shelf! My middle school teachers would become irritated because I always choose to do my book reports on The Hobbit or th..."

Geronimo!
I did my student teaching under a woman (who is a briliant teacher!) and she just HATED all fantasy. Wouldn't allow the kids to do their independent reading on anything of that genre. She even had in her syllabus "the first mention of a dragon I stop reading!" I had to lie and pretend that I wasn't a huge LOTR fan. She was a great teacher and I learned a lot, but the first thing I did was make sure all the kids knew sci-fan/fi were completely safe in my room.

message 10: by Noon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noon Annemarie wrote: "Noon wrote: "When I was a little girl, this book was always my first choice off the book shelf! My middle school teachers would become irritated because I always choose to do my book reports on The..."
I have always felt that science fiction and fantasy literature can have a very positive effect in a child's up-bringing/education. My father feed me a steady diet of sci fi/fan growing up and I'm eternally grateful. It's wonderful that you're encouraging it!!!!!!

Annemarie Donahue Noon wrote: "Annemarie wrote: "Noon wrote: "When I was a little girl, this book was always my first choice off the book shelf! My middle school teachers would become irritated because I always choose to do my b..."

Thank you. I'm just happy my kids want to read and lucky that they read books I've either read, or want to read when they are done. A student got me hooked on Hunger Games and burned through those in days.

Chris My father read me both the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings when I was 6-7. I loved the books then and still love them now. There was a period in my life when I'd re-read them about once a year.

I don't do that as often now, but ... I do still pick them up again once in a while.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished it yesterday, and I know I'll have good memories of reading it. :)

Katie Daniels The Hobbit was one of the books assigned for my summer reading in 7th grade, and ever since then my love for Tolkien`s works has grown :) I am actually re-reading the copy of The Hobbit I read back then. It holds so many sweet memories!

Becky I've loved The Hobbit (along with anything else written by J.R.R. Tolkien) since I first received a copy of it as a birthday present when I was in high school. In fact, Tolkien's work inspired my desire to write fantasy.

Diana Shalin J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis and J.K Rowling is the master of fantasy but J.R.R TOLKIEN books as the lord of the ring and the hobbit inspire us to go beyond our ability to create something magical that will forever be remember.... THE HOBBIT IS MY ONE OF MOST IMPORTANT BOOK THAT I WILL FOREVER CHERISH BECAUSE IT WAS A GIFT FROM MY LATE GRANDFATHER THAT LOVE READING J.R.R TOLKIEN BOOKS.

message 17: by Duane (new)

Duane Annemarie wrote: "I did my student teaching under a woman (who is a briliant teacher!) and she just HATED all fantasy. Wouldn't allow the kids to do their independent reading on anything of that genre. She even had in her syllabus "the first mention of a dragon I stop reading!"

oooh... Anno Mirabili, somewhere in this world there's *somebody* who "Gets it".

ALL of that stuff belongs OUTSIDE the classroom, along with Wankipedia... forlornly beating on the door, begging to get in, being held off at swordpoint...

John (Taloni) Taloni Duane wrote: "ALL of that stuff belongs OUTSIDE the classroom

Um...I hope this is a joke. I get sick of SF/F being treated as lesser than what is called "literature." If Beowulf is a classic, so is Lord of the Rings. And Jules Verne was considered a "genre" writer by the snooty French Academy; his works survive far better than that period's "literature."

Colleen L. I'm encouraged by these comments. I read this and his trilogy when my first child was in preschool. I loved them so much I couldn't wait to read them again, determined to let enough years go by that they would be new to me again. Well, that was a long time ago and I still haven't picked them back up. I'm afraid I'll be disappointed, but I'd say from the positive comments here, likely I will be satisfied.

Lizzie Ludovico My fourth grade teacher read this aloud to us at the beginning of that year. This has forever been one of my to 5 books as a result.

Papaphilly Sherry wrote: "I actually first read this book when I was 12. To spare you from bothering with the math, that was 1975. The fact that I remember this so clearly is a testament to the impression that this book mad..."

I read this in 1974 when I was 12. It so impressed me that I never have forgotten it since. I too loved the movie version with few quibbles of the interpretation of the film.

It was the book we read that year as a class and it was wonderful.

As for literature, it has been in constant print since 1937. I believe it is now considered a true literary classic.

Linda Dobinson Annemarie wrote: "I'm a Eccleston fan myself. David Tennat was wonderful and Matt Smith is my husband's fav. I'm excited about the new doctor coming out soon. And I loved that John Hurst played War Doctor! Very cool..."

Hi Annemarie, now that he has arrived, what do you think of Peter Capaldi? I like him, he is a little less serious than I was expecting which I am glad of. My all time favourite is David Tennent though - him and Billy Piper were magic!