Pure indie promotion discussion

MISC > Fiction verses sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James Corkill | 23 comments Hello, everyone. I have just been enlightened by some of my reviewers that I’m not a science fiction writer. I’m a ‘Techno Thriller’ writer. I guess that makes sense because there are no weird alien creatures, strange worlds, or galactic battles in my stories. I would love to hear your thoughts on what you would consider sci-fi verses fiction. If there are specific guidelines, please let me know.
James

message 2: by David (new)

David Evans (vanksed) | 15 comments Are you are writing about a possible future scenario? Do you rely on technologies that do not exist yet? Then it doesn’t matter if the story unfolds here on Earth or on some inter-planetary setting in my mind you are writing science fiction. I may be wrong… but that’s my opinion.

message 3: by James (new)

James Corkill | 23 comments Thanks, David. I appreciate your opinion. I just hate it when some publishing sites only offer the genre listing as science fiction/fantasy. When I see that, my mind conjures up visions of weird creatures. In my humble opinion, they should offer one that says science fiction/techno thriller.

message 4: by David (new)

David Evans (vanksed) | 15 comments James I totally agree with you! Even though I tend to write science fiction that involves other species and strange new worlds. There is plenty of room for everyone. Good luck.

message 5: by James (new)

James Corkill | 23 comments Good luck to you as well, David.

message 6: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel | 6 comments A thread you may be interested in checking out: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1...

A month ago, The Dice Tower ran a top 10 SF boardgame segment where one of the three people defined SF as Fiction with Science. This (along with his list which included a game based off of HP Lovecraft and another game with an Outbreak-esque storyline) started a pretty interesting argument about what SF really is. I would recommend looking into this thread as no one really agrees with what makes SF, what makes Fantasy, and, I guess, what makes a Techno Thriller (although I always thought a Techno Thriller depended on technology that was currently available ... Tom Clancy, for instance, would be in that camp and some Michael Crichton ... though the latter tended to extrapolate a bit on the technology, thus SF).

I led a class where I introduced the argument of Fantasy vs. SF ... in some ways Left Hand of Darkness and Ringworld , while viewed as SF classics, fit a lot of the criteria of Fantasy.

Anyway, enjoy the discussion.

message 7: by James (new)

James Corkill | 23 comments Wow, Gabriel. Those discussions were definitely worth reading. It seems a definitive answer will remain in the eye's of the observer. Thanks for the thread. I did enjoy it immensely.

message 8: by David (new)

David Evans (vanksed) | 15 comments James, you now have me interested in your writing. I just purchased your e-book 'Dead Energy' and I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

message 9: by James (new)

James Corkill | 23 comments Thanks, David. After reading the thread that Gabriel suggested and the opinions to my question, I've decided on a genre for my stories. I write sci-fi/techno thrillers. Now I just need to convince the publishing industry to add that to their genre listings.

message 10: by David (new)

David Evans (vanksed) | 15 comments Good luck with that...