For the love of Horror discussion

Discussion > What music do you listen to while writing

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments I always find it interesting to see what people listen to while writing. It usually breaks two way instrumental or regular. Some people can't write if there are lyrics going on, but I'm one of those people who can't stand music without lyrics, so I break the other way.

So what do you listen to?

message 2: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments I'll start it off. And really it depends on my mood, but the eclectic mix is something like this:

1. Black Sabbath - Sabbatoge
2. Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory
3. AC/DC - Powerage
4. The Smiths - Best of
5. Iron Maiden - Best of
6. Paul Weller - Box Set (excluding Style Council)
7. Fastway - Fastway
6. Perl Jam - 10
7. Jimi Hendrix - Best of
8. Black Spiders - Volume
9. Sterophonic - Performance & Cocktails
10. Led Zeppelin - 1

There are a lot more, but these are the ones I seem to constantly have on in one playlist or another.

So How bout the rest of you?

message 3: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 578 comments Mod
I listen to a lot of oldies from the 40's - 60's, piano, chello or violin music. But it also depends on what is the mood for the story.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

1. High Enough-Damn Yankees
2. Love Is A Battlefield-Pat Benatar
3. Love Bites-Def Leppard
4. Theme song to "The Waltons"
5. The Wall-Pink Floyd
6. Livin' On The Edge-Aerosmith
7. Who Made Who-AC/DC
8. Saturday Night-Bay City Rollers
9. We Are Young by Fun
10.Babylon-Boney M

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) | 189 comments Okay, I'm back, for now.

I'm one of those people who can't listen to music at the same time as writing. Even music without lyrics I find distracting. I prefer writing in complete silence.

But! When I'm doing research, formulating ideas, preparing for a scene or chapter, I need to listen to specific music to get me in the right state of mind.

I have my favorite artists of course, but music for writing preparation just depends on the feel I want to acheive.

Random examples:

Furneral Rose Garden of Sores - Bauhaus

Especially useful for a driving intense feel.

Black Sabbath - the first album or sometimes I play all ablums

Useful for crazy action where a lot happens at once. (Can't beat that drum, au naturel).

The Black Angels - Any album

I adore the Black Angels. They provide a variety of psych rock that spurs my imagination. Directions to See a Ghost was very useful for my thriller since there are ghosts in the story.

Anyway, I could give a very long list of examples but then I would run out of space. I pick the music based on the mood.

message 6: by Rusty (new)

Rusty Henrichsen | 26 comments Metallica, Tool, Slayer, Zeppelin, Stone Sour and others along those lines.

message 7: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments Lily,
I had no idea who the Black Angels were, but I took a listen and that some tripodelicically fun stuff. And that's the whole reason I started this discussion, to find new stuff to listen to. I picked up a few of their CDs. I think they're already giving me the munchies...lol
Rick

message 8: by N. Onym (new)

N. Onym | 8 comments Diamanda Galas. Notre Amertume. Selected tracks from Dead Can Dance. Karl Sanders' "Saurian Meditations" and "Saurian Exorcisms". "Passion" by Peter Gabriel (The Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack).

message 9: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) | 189 comments lol Rick, you might need other substances too ;)

Extra points for Diamanda Galas :)

Along that vein, I also recommend Miranda Sex Garden.

message 10: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments Lily I need to get my card in California, or move to Seattle...lol

I couldn't listen to Diamanda Galas while writing, it's too wordy, but if I was cutting together a horror video it would be perfect...

message 11: by N. Onym (new)

N. Onym | 8 comments I will definitely look into that. Thank you.

message 12: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) | 189 comments I should also mention that listening to music while self-editing is a must for me.

For that, I tend to listen to, as well as those already mentioned:

Tom Waits
PJ Harvey
Nick Cave
Death in June
Deadbolts
16 Horsepower
Hillbilly Moon Explosion

All depending on whatever is happening in the story.

I'm a bit ecclectic :)

Btw, Rick, Black Angels are from Texas.

message 13: by Rick (last edited Feb 03, 2014 11:44AM) (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments I just had a band called Eva Plays Dead follow me over at Twitter and I was checking out their CD Guilt Trips & Sins and I see in one of the songs that Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) is playing on it, so I picked up a copy, it sounds like my kind of writing music

message 14: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 6 comments Well today, sense I was pissed i wrote an angry poem while listening to Master of Puppets.

message 15: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Watts | 86 comments I need silence to write. What I usually get is the song of my cat, inexorably increasing in volume, to remind me that it has been several minutes since I last fed him.

message 16: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Rutigliano | 32 comments I'm with J.S. on this one. I need quiet (and am frequently interrupted by cat antics).

message 17: by Chantae (new)

Chantae B. | 12 comments Songs on my iPod or if I get tired of those I go on pandora

message 18: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit

Who else is there, really?

message 19: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit On second thought, anything by these guys:

And "I Walked With a Zombie" - Wednesday 13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80kCYc...

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez I've got Emilie Autumn, Apolcalyptica (not sure if I spelled that correctly), A7X, Cradle of Filth, Fallout Boy, Hurt, LCN, Cypress Hill and Strange Music artists. haha and so many other more

message 21: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Meehan (zombifiedauthor) | 28 comments Breaking Benjamin, Imagine Dragons, Chevelle, Mer, and Rise Against... Maybe a little bit of Finger Eleven, but not often. Sometimes Korn, and Rage Against the Machine, but that's even less than Finger Eleven.