21st Century Literature discussion

The Teleportation Accident
This topic is about The Teleportation Accident
2014 Book Discussions > The Teleportation Accident - General Discussion (February 2014)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Casceil | 1692 comments Mod
Welcome to the discussion of The Teleportation Accident. This is kind of a wacky book. It is very funny in places, and has an interesting underlying structure that is not all that obvious while you are in the middle of reading it. My advice is to go with the flow, just keep reading, and the pieces will eventually fall into place. The book is in four parts, so we will organize the discussion that way.

message 2: by Zulfiya (last edited Feb 02, 2014 12:57PM) (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 397 comments I have purchased the book and will join the discussion.

Great, Zulfiya. I'm glad you will be joining us.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2351 comments I just finished it today and thought I look for some background interviews that don't spoil the plot (although not sure that is possible with this over-the-top creation!). I thought this one was useful for getting a feel for the author -- http://www.guernicamag.com/interviews....

I do look forward to discussing the book, which may be the primary reason that, at the halfway point, I was able to convince myself to just keep on reading! It was at the 3/4s way through point that I realized I was somewhat engaged - finally!

message 5: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Orman (jmo1) | 1 comments So glad I joined this group! Haven't read The Teleportation Accident yet but now I must check it out. Thanks! I read so voraciously that sometimes I feel as though I've already read every decent work of Literary Fiction. Not true, obviously, but look forward to suggestions/discussions now that I finally joined a group on Goodreads.

Linda, thanks for posting the link to the interview. It is useful for getting a feel for the author, and some insight into what he is trying to do, but does not include any spoilers. Nice find.

Terry Pearce I am not even halfway through, but I've been fully engaged from the first paragraph onwards. I love the style so much, such genius with words. Some of the way things are phrased, some of the humour, reminds me very much of Douglas Adams. You can almost imagine some parts being read by the voice of the Hitch-hikers' Guide...

Carl | 287 comments It's the 6th, and I know everyone else is finished, but that Guernica interview has inspired me to read more closely. I'm only 5% in but I love the style and I understand it better now.

message 9: by Lily (last edited Feb 07, 2014 06:53AM) (new) - added it

Lily (joy1) | 2495 comments Carl wrote: "It's the 6th, and I know everyone else is finished...."

No, not quite. I'm still plugging along, not totally convinced yet as to "why" given the choices stagnating on my TBR stack. But somehow, too au courant to let go.

message 10: by Daniel (last edited Feb 07, 2014 07:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Daniel Carl wrote: "It's the 6th, and I know everyone else is finished, but that Guernica interview has inspired me to read more closely. I'm only 5% in but I love the style and I understand it better now."

Never a worry, Carl. What I most love about discussions in this group is how many insightful comments we get. It's not about everyone reading at exactly the same moment, but rather an expectation that people take time to add something more meaningful than their reflexive reading response. I for one definitely look forward to reading your thoughts and opinions as you make your way through the book.

I hope Carl was joking about everyone else having finished the book by the 6th. Our discussions are scheduled to run for a month, and many keep going beyond that. In some ways it gets much easier to talk about a book when we're discussing the whole book, but part of the reason for breaking the discussion into threads is to facilitate discussion by people reading the book at different times and different rates of speed. Glad you're joining the discussion, Carl.

Sophia Roberts | 1324 comments And I only started yesterday!

Maurice There's a passage at the start of Chapter two, a page in, that captures the essence of the book for me. Loeser is talking about the darkness that has infected Berlin in 1933 and finally calls it by its name - ketamine. I had to stop and reread it two or three times; has he really just said that? So self-obsessed, so inward looking, so audacious, so blackly funny. Ditto, eventually, the whole book.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2351 comments Maurice, that's an interesting observation thata I did not catch. I guess if it might well have felt like being in a state of altered consciousness to be in Berlin in 1933.

Maurice The fact that the march of fascism, the anti-Semitism, the book-burning, none of it registered with the character, only crap party drugs....

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2351 comments And perhaps to all those Germans that did nothing, either in support or against the march of fascism, et al.

I like Loeser's initial reaction to seeing people on Ketamine: "Why on earth would anyone voluntarily take horse tranquilizer?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) Another book where the main character doesn't understand what is going on and the reader has to read between the lines is The Orphan Master's Son. Some similarities to my mind.