Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's January 2014 Reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Feb 02, 2014 09:44AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments My numbers were way off for the month! Only 9 books!

If Bread Could Rise to the Occasion (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #3) by Paige Shelton If Bread Could Rise to the Occasion by Paige Shelton: 3rd in Country Cooking School series. I like this series! There's always a new ghost to contend with, this one had a family of them, and the mysteries are pretty good. Still have to try some of the recipes. Grade: 7.5

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1) by Samantha Shannon The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon: this was hyped a LOT before it's release this past summer and I got it on EW's recommendation. I saw some bad reviews and sat on it awhile........probably should have sat on it a bit longer. VERY long, VERY wordy and went a long way for not much bang, IMHO. I waded through pages and pages before getting to a few that were actually worth reading. I understand this is supposed to be a 7-book story. I'm done with this one. Grade: 3

Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4) by Jenn McKinlay Read It and Weep by Jenn McKinlay: 4th in the Library Lovers series and the weakest of the lot, so far. Found the mystery a bit over the top, though the bad guy was painfully obvious to me. She also appears to be going down the "triangle" road with this one, as she is in her other series. I love her characters, her stories and her writing style, but I will not read books that frustrate me anymore! Grade: 6

Clammed Up by Barbara Ross Clammed Up by Barbara Ross: 1st in Maine Clambake series, and a great read! She was author of the month on one of the cozy boards I frequent, so it was a perfect time to pick this one up. Good mystery and I didn't know who the bad guy was until the big reveal. Looking forward to the next one! Grade: 8

Murder, She Barked (A Paws and Claws Mystery) by Krista Davis Murder, She Barked by Krista Davis: 1st in new Paws & Claws series by one of my favorite cozy authors. Great setting for this one and I loved all the animals. Thought I had figured it out, but was only half right. This author never fails to make me hungry with her food descriptions! Grade: 8

Death, Taxes, and Hot-Pink Leg Warmers (Tara Holloway, #5) by Diane Kelly Death, Taxes, and Hot-Pink Leg Warmers by Diane Kelly: 5th in Tara Holloway series and the weakest of the bunch. Like Tara and the whole IRS tax cheat premise of the series, but this one just didn't grab me like the others did. Grade: 5.5

Watch You Bleed The Saga of Guns N' Roses by Stephen Davis Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N' Roses by Stephen Davis: this guy writes a lot of rock 'n roll bios, and I loved HAMMER OF THE GODS and the one he wrote about Jim Morrison. This one? Not so much. Not nearly as well written and parts seemed not to have been that well researched. GNR deserves a better book, even if Axl is an asshole! Grade: 4

Evertrue (Everneath, #3) by Brodi Ashton Evertrue by Brodi Ashton: conclusion of her Everneath trilogy and yet another YA trilogy-ender that missed the mark for me. Oh, well! Grade: 5

A Potion to Die For (Magic Potion Mystery #1) by Heather Blake A Potion to Die For by Heather Blake: another new series by the woman who writes the Lucy Valentine books as Heather Webber. Liked the characters in this one, the locale and the story! Grade: 8.5

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Good month, Melodie; Your nine triples my three! LOL
Do you think the publishers see a good book idea for the "next breakout YA author" and then say, "sure, we'll do it, can you make it a trilogy?" (movie rights and book sales dancing in their heads), no matter whether the story needs to be told in three parts?

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2626 comments January is a tough month sometimes.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Ann wrote: "Good month, Melodie; Your nine triples my three! LOL
Do you think the publishers see a good book idea for the "next breakout YA author" and then say, "sure, we'll do it, can you make it a trilogy?"..."

I'm wondering if that's so. I have seen too many trilogies just fizzle out and lose their steam. The Hunger Games, the Divergent series and Marie Lu's Legend trilogy seem to be rarities to me. Speaking of The Hunger Games, so sorry to hear of the passing of Philip Seymour Hoffman this morning. Wondering what they'll do with Mockingjay since Plutarch was such a pivotal character. I think the first part was finished, but don't know about the second part.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Melodie: They just showed a Hunger games Catching Fire release on DVD commercial and I thought the same thing about Philip Seymour Hoffman's role in the movies. Very sad news about his death.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Melodie: And at least in my experience with romance trilogies, the third book is usually better than the often weaker second book. A strong intro and closing when planned as a trilogy up front.
Melodie wrote: "I have seen too many trilogies just fizzle out and lose their steam."

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments I've read four of them Melodie :) I think I may have to try Clammed Up!

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3491 comments looks like a good list. I was trying to get on the review team of Jenn's but I wasn't picked. it was 3 author's in the grp and you get their books to read/review.
I have the bone season downloaded for the nook. hopefully at some point I'll get to it.

I still haven't watched the hunger games movies on that website I mentioned previous. Now with watching the games for the next 2 weeks if I do that I won't get to watch a move here and there.
I think I have the heather blake ones I still haven't read her earlier ones.

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I wish I could read 9 in a month! Not too shabby.

Yes, the passing of PSH was a blow. Such a talented actor. I know it's irrational but I am so disappointed when people succomb to drug addiction.