Missouri - Show-me Readers discussion

Authors > Missouri Authors

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) Are you a Missouri author? Promote your books here!

message 2: by Robert (last edited Feb 02, 2014 09:46AM) (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Thank you for providing this place to introduce myself! I am a Missouri writer, author of two books available in paperback and e-book formats. I was born and raised in Joplin, Missouri and still reside near there. My service in the United States Navy and employment as an international salesman took me to many countries around the world. These experiences along with my vivid imagination inspires my writings. I have provided links to my books and website below.
The Monkey Toy by Robert M. Roberts
The Monkey Toy
The Monkey Toy is a military thriller rated for mature readers due to language and violence.

Souls of the Desert by Robert M. Roberts
Souls of the Desert
My second book, Souls of the Desert, is a mystery with no language rating or violence.

Please feel free to learn more about my books and check out free short stories on my website: http://www.robertsnovels.com

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-M-Robert...

message 3: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) Thanks, Robert, for sharing about your books and a special thanks for your service to our country! I live in McDonald County, just south of Joplin, so I guess that nearly makes us neighbors. I'll be sure to check out your links!

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Lea wrote: "Thanks, Robert, for sharing about your books and a special thanks for your service to our country! I live in McDonald County, just south of Joplin, so I guess that nearly makes us neighbors. I'll ..."

Lea,

McDonald County? I guess were closer neighbors than we thought. I now live in south Neosho. Thanks for your interest in my writings.

Robert

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary | 19 comments Actually, I am not...yet. I am working on something,and hope to be published someday.

However, have you heard of Daniel Woodrell? Also his wife Katie Estill.Both published authors. Daniel had a couple movies from his books,and many are set in Missouri. He was recently featured in Missouri Ruralist magazine. I emailed Missouri Life magazine ,which I get and is a great periodical, and yet them seemed very uninterested in Daniel or featuring him. Maybe you have some clout with that magazine,and can influence them. Maybe you've heard of his book WINTER'S BONE, and the movie starring Jennifer Lawrence? I hope you can contact him on here as well.

Thanks!

message 6: by Gary (last edited Feb 03, 2014 03:07PM) (new)

Gary | 19 comments Oh boy, do I feel like an idiot. LOL. I just really looked at your page,and you've featured Daniel. That is so awesome. I still recommend the movie after you read it,and hopefully someone out there will have success in getting Missouri Life to do an extensive article on Daniel,and a photo opp on him.

message 7: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) Gary, I have seen the movie, but haven't read the book yet. I would think that Woodrell would be a natural for Missouri Life (unfortunately, I have no clout outside my classroom and even that is questionable most days).

Good luck with the writing process!

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary | 19 comments Lea wrote: "Gary, I have seen the movie, but haven't read the book yet. I would think that Woodrell would be a natural for Missouri Life (unfortunately, I have no clout outside my classroom and even that is qu..."

I think I know why Missouri Life it not hot to trot to feature him......

message 9: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) Gary wrote: "Lea wrote: "Gary, I have seen the movie, but haven't read the book yet. I would think that Woodrell would be a natural for Missouri Life (unfortunately, I have no clout outside my classroom and eve..."

Well, Gary, don't leave us hanging.

message 10: by Hadena (new)

Hadena James | 3 comments I'm a Missouri author, Columbia native... So native, I even attended the University of Missouri for college. I, along with Liz Schulte (another Columbia author) run the Columbia Novelists' Group for novel writers trying to find their way to a finished product.

I have three series available; one thriller, one fantasy and one cozy mystery.

Tortured Dreams

My thriller series gets the most attention, although I am about to finish off the last book in my fantasy series. It is at the editor now and set to release this month.

message 11: by Gary (new)

Gary | 19 comments Lea wrote: "Gary wrote: "Lea wrote: "Gary, I have seen the movie, but haven't read the book yet. I would think that Woodrell would be a natural for Missouri Life (unfortunately, I have no clout outside my clas..."

Subject matter of Winter's Bone....

message 12: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) Well, the reflection in that mirror might not be pretty, but it is accurate. I'm reminded of the many great authors who wrote about the underbelly of society.

message 13: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) Hadena wrote: "I'm a Missouri author, Columbia native... So native, I even attended the University of Missouri for college. I, along with Liz Schulte (another Columbia author) run the Columbia Novelists' Group f..."

How exciting! I cannot imagine the self discipline one has to have to actually finish writing a novel much less a series. Do you have more in the works after this one is published?

message 14: by Hadena (new)

Hadena James | 3 comments Lea wrote: "Hadena wrote: "I'm a Missouri author, Columbia native... So native, I even attended the University of Missouri for college. I, along with Liz Schulte (another Columbia author) run the Columbia Nov..."

I finished with one series, I'll continue the other two for a while. I hope to take time to write some stand-alone novels to explore different types and genres of writing.

message 15: by Gary (new)

Gary | 19 comments Lea wrote: "Well, the reflection in that mirror might not be pretty, but it is accurate. I'm reminded of the many great authors who wrote about the underbelly of society."

You can go to Missouri Life magazine's website,and email them,and ask them why Daniel Woodrell has not been featured. I didn't get much of an answer, but maybe if they heard from more people? It kinda reminds me of many people in California upset with John Steinbeck's Novel GRAPES OF WRATH, which is my favorite book of all time....they are releasing a hardback edition facsimilie of it , with the original bookjacket artwork in April. 75th anniversary edition. Migrant workers bosses be damned!

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Lots of FREE short stories in the paranormal, thriller, mystery and horror genre at my website http://robertsnovels.com

Something for everyone and new ones added periodically.
Your opinions and feedback is always appreciated.

message 17: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) I just read this review. Thought I'd share it.

http://www.emissourian.com/blogs/mo_b...

message 18: by Gidget (new)

Gidget (gferguson) | 5 comments Sounds interesting, Lea. I do love a good thriller/mystery.