True Love 101 discussion

Queen of Camelot (Queen of Camelot #1-2)
This topic is about Queen of Camelot
Historical Romance (HR) > Nancy McKenzie books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), The Ace (last edited Feb 02, 2014 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments The group read for February is now open.

If you need to talk about any major plot points (minor story details don't need to be tagged), please use this code to put your text inside of a spoiler tag and make a note of whereabouts in the book you're talking about so people know if they've read far enough to be able to click on the tag :

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments I think Leea and I will be starting this on Wednesday. I'm not sure who else is reading, but I'm going to aim to get about 20 to 25% done on Weds, just because it's a longer book and I know if I don't try to read enough to hook me, I might flounder with picking it back up.

message 3: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - added it

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments Oh, bummer! If I had known, which you probably said and I just missed it, I would have joined you. I just started book 4 of Dark Tower and it's longer so I doubt I'll be done by Wednesday.

message 4: by Leea, Escape Artist (last edited Feb 10, 2014 08:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments Join us after Wendy... This book is longer, should take me a few days to read it.

Also, I think it was my fault you didn't know. I was having trouble with my email and didn't reply all to our group message about reading this together. Sorry!

message 5: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - added it

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments I'll try! I'm only at 17% into Wizard and Glass though, I don't think I'll finish it before the weekend.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments If Leea wants to, we can push it back until next Monday?

message 7: by Shanna (new) - added it

Shanna (shannabanana87) | 40 comments I wanna read as well, is it wednesday or monday?

message 8: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments That's fine with me, Stacia.

message 9: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - added it

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments You don't have to push it back for me. I'll feel bad if you do and then something comes up and I don't get to read it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Nah, it's okay. We'll shoot for Monday. If you can join in sometime next week, great. If you can't, no biggie.

message 11: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - added it

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments Awesome! I'm off work Monday, so I should be able to do it sometime around then.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments My plan to read 25% right off went south quickly when I realized how much back story there was going to be. I got to chapter 7 - Merlin and stopped there, which is just past 10%. It looks like this might be where the plot is about to pick up though.

Thoughts so far - (view spoiler)

But I see potential, so I'm looking forward to what's to come. I hope we get to see some magic.

message 13: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments I read to about 13% and for me the prologue(view spoiler)

I like the story and Gwen very much and I can see that something is coming. I don't know the Kind Arthur story very well, sad to say. So far I can tell this book is long because i've read and read and just got to 13%

Anyone else reading? Wendy?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments So I woke up this morning and thought I would read a few pages, but got completely hooked and couldn't put the book down.

I'm at 25% now but hope to read more tonight.

Fion!
Lancelot!
Arthur!

I'm so jealous of Gwen. All three of these men had me swooning. I'll post book thoughts in my next post, but heres a long incoming whatever about what I have liked/disliked about previous Arthur adaptations.

I don't know the King Arthur story well from the standpoint of its origins. Arthur was a real man and he has a history in Britain (Briton?) that I would like to research at some point.

My experience with the legend of Arthur/Guinevere/Lancelot has been from t.v. and movies.

First Knight - my favorite of them all. I have seen this movie at least twenty times and simply adore it. Merlin, Mordred, and Morgan are not in this story though. Arthur is old, and Lancelot is young. Gwen is with Arthur, though she loves Lancelot as well. Gwen was promised to Arthur at a young age and meets Lancelot on her way to be married to Arthur.

King Arthur - I like this movie, but it is the version which seems the most off on its own path from the others I've seen. Morgan and Mordred are not in the movie, but Merlin is as an older man who is leading his own army (they might have been the druids, I'm not sure I remember now). Arthur rescues Gwen from religious zealots and they fight the Saxons together, with Lancelot at their side. Arthur and Gwen marry after the final battle. Lancelot and Gwen seem to share looks, but never do anything. Lancelot was the one with the falcon instead of Gwen in this movie.

Camelot (the t.v. show; was on Starz?) - All characters were present, although I don't remember seeing much of Lancelot. I think they had planned for more seasons and were going to play up his story later. Merlin and Morgan were on the show, although I don't remember if Mordred was or not, and I don't recall anything about Merlin from memory. My favorite representation of Morgan (Arthur's sister) was on this show. She seemed like a true villain. Gwen and Arthur hadn't really gone far other than to have an affair, from what I recall.

Merlin - Merlin was young, not old, on this show, although he was able to change form into an old man through magic, which reminds me of this book. In the book, Merlin got stuck being old through magic, whereas on the show, he went back and forth. This is one of the only shows/movies outside of Disney's The Sword in the Stone where the legend of Excalibur was really touched upon. Even in the show Camelot, I think Arthur just went and got the sword and that was it.

Gwen in this show was a woman of color, which was a different and refreshing spin on the fair haired Gwen of the stories. Mordred and Morgan (known as Morgana here) were both on the show, as was Lancelot. I have the feeling that this show probably followed the story origins better than some of the other adaptations, although I can't really tell because it was canceled after 5 (or 6?) seasons. However, this was probably my least favorite adaptation, simply because there were too many side stories as filler, used to stretch out the seasons.

message 15: by Stacia (the 2010 club), The Ace (last edited Feb 19, 2014 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Of all the shows/movies, it appears that the show Camelot is the one who comes closest to the characters from this book, other than Arthur (who is described as dark haired and rugged in this book, but on Camelot was long haired and blonde).

I mentioned that Camelot had my favorite representation of Morgan. In this book, Morgan (who hasn't made much of an appearance yet) is described as not pretty, but rather proud and distant, looking older than her age with brown hair and and golden brown eyes.

So I think this picture of her fits quite well.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Will spoiler tag for each character.

This is where Gwen meets each individual for the first time.

Fion (view spoiler)

Lancelot (view spoiler)

Arthur! (view spoiler)

You can tell that everyone loves him, and he loves his people tirelessly. How can you not admire the man?

message 17: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - added it

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments No... I'm in a rut, lmao. I still have about 40% in Wizard and Glass. It's good but it's one of those books that's almost all a flashback and so you kinda know what's going to happen to some of the characters and I just don't want to read that which is making it hard to want to continue picking it up.

I'm dying though because it sounds like it's really great.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Are you able to put a book down and come back to it, or if you decide to do that, does it make it hard to pick the book back up later?

Sometimes I have to put a book aside if I get stuck, but it does end up being hard to come back to the thing later.

message 19: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - added it

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments I'm tempted to try, but usually if I set it aside I lose interest completely and never go back to it. But seriously, it's going on 2 weeks with this book, haha. I went from being current on my goal to like 5 books behind.

And it's the worst because it's not because it's not good. I love the characters. It's because I love them that I don't want to keep reading.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Often, with longer/heavier books, I'll make a goal to read a set amount of chapters per day, then spend the rest of my allotted time reading something else for fun.

message 21: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments I'm here!! Stacia, all your thoughts are exactly how I felt with each man Gwen came into contact with. But Lancelot makes her skin burn and he's my favorite. I'm 23%... I'm just getting to know Arthur. But it picks up around 15% and I could t stop reading.

message 22: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments 31%... I cried when (view spoiler)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments I completely agree about Arthur. His love for justice and his people in general is so admirable.

I was going to text you but didn't want to interrupt if you and your man were having a leisurely night out.

Made it to just past 40% but for the life of me, I am drawing a blank as to where I left off because it's been a few hours. My brain is fried at the moment. It's been one of those days. I will have to pull up my notes and get back to you.

message 24: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments Ha!! Nope my husband has meetings from 6am - 9pm it's crazy. So I was out walking the streets of downtown Palm Springs.

I'm to 42%... Basically the you know what has hit the fan. I sort of saw this all coming.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Okay, so I did text you my thoughts about Elaine, but I was not kidding when I said it made me sick to my stomach. She is evil, evil, evil.

The scene where Elaine (view spoiler).

I think I could have handled (view spoiler)

I'm just past 50% now, on chapter 28. Mordred's (view spoiler)

I know that tough times are ahead. There's been so much angst already, but we haven't even scratched the surface.

message 26: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments Yeah she's evil for sure and I don't think it's the last of her by a long shot.

I agree about Elaine and what she did that night. Once it all started (view spoiler)

Mordred - (view spoiler)

I really like this book, it's a great story and I'm at the edge of my seat.

message 27: by Stacia (the 2010 club), The Ace (last edited Feb 22, 2014 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments I agree. It is a great story, even if it's long! I'm glad I picked it up.

Going to try to make it to 75% today, so I can spend a good chunk of tomorrow switching between this book and a galley that's due to be published on Tuesday. It's going to be a busy day though because we have plans, so I might be reading bits and pieces when I have a free moment. I'll report back later, or text you in the morning. We might be doing something late, so if it's too late, I'll wait.

message 28: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments I'll try to make 75% but I don't think I will. This book is taking me a long time to read, but I also haven't had the time to read much.

I'm to 57% (view spoiler)

message 29: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments 59% Holy crap...(view spoiler)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments She so is. That entire scene at court when (view spoiler)

I think I'm just shy of 70% but it's been hard to tell because I'm trying to do the math in my head based on page count (reading this on my Nook instead of my Kindle). I just couldn't do a longer push like I'd hoped. We were so busy yesterday - saw a movie and went to a very late dinner at The Melting Pot (yum).

I will not be able to pick the book back up again until Monday night so you might end up reading further along.

So this whole family is messed up, right? Morgause, Morgan, probably Mordred, etc.

Morgan is a bitch too, but I guess that was to be expected. Did you get to the scene with Morgaine (the daughter...oh hey, another name that starts with 'Mor') where she (view spoiler)

Backtracking a bit, there was one sentence in the book that sort of came and went so fast, that I had to go back and read it again. Gwen mused about Morgause : By anyone's standards she was beautiful, and yet there was something spoiled about it, something slack, stale, beyond its best. But then, she was past thirty.

I had a serious "Gwen, you're a bitch" moment when she thought that.

And going much further back (to about 50%, I think) was a passage I'd highlighted and didn't get a chance to ask you about. (view spoiler)

message 31: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments I haven never been to the melting pot and there used to be one right by my house haha! I keep hearing how good it is.

Back to the book... Yes these people are so messed up. Especially Morgause... just wow!! I'm not as far as you, 64% (Queen Morgan has come to camelot...) and it's just slow going because I find that I need to read every word and sometimes go back because I did notice those comments you quoted.

Arthur is a great man but like all men he has this faults and I believe that's what Gwen was referring to (view spoiler)

I think the most telling quote was about Lancelot (view spoiler)

My heart breaks for Gwen (view spoiler)

Merlin (view spoiler)

Off to read more and I now think i'm going to find a King Arthur/Camelot show to watch because I want more...

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments I can't click the spoilers on my phone ( how do you see spoilers on your iPhone app?) so I will read those comments when I have my tablet.

First Knight is hands down my favorite Arthur/Gwen/Lancelot movie if you haven't seen it. I've watched that movie so many times. The emotion is through the roof and I love how it shows the honor of Arthur and the sexual chemistry between Gwen and Lancelot.

I actually love a local fondue place better that isn't a chain like The Melting Pot. I just didn't feel like wearing a dress and heels last night (the other place is very upscale) so we went to MP, where I could wear a nice shirt, black pants, and flats. Anyway. You might have a fondue place in your area that's even better than Melting Pot.

message 33: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments I don't use the GR app on my iphone. I just open each comment in a new browser and it lets me click on the spoilers.

I'll have to search for First Knight on netflix to see if I watched it or not, I can't remember.

Ohhh, I had enough dressing up last week in Palm Springs to last me a long time. Corporate dinners with VPs are not my favorite thing. haha! I'll look for a local fondu restaurant near us, but I don't think there is one.

I'm now to 69% and (view spoiler)

I feel like something bad is coming... I have for awhile.

message 34: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments I stopped at 70%. We can start using chapter numbers instead, I didn't realize you were reading off your nook. I stopped between a chapter but when I get to one i'll make sure and remember the number.

I'm so glad we read this. Did you say there may be another book after this? Also, First Knight & Camelot is not available through netflix streaming, i need to check out on-demand and Amazon prime.

message 35: by Stacia (the 2010 club), The Ace (last edited Feb 23, 2014 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments About post 31. Spoiler 1 (view spoiler)

I agree that it's so sad how (view spoiler)

I also agree that Gwen and Lancelot (view spoiler)

There is a followup book to Queen of Camelot, but it follows Lancelot's son. There are spoilers for what happens in Queen of Camelot in the synopsis, so if you want to avoid reading the synopsis until after you've finished, I understand.
Grail Prince by Nancy McKenzie

Something I find a little odd is that the author wrote other Guinevere books NOT related to Queen of Camelot. I don't think I'll read these though, since they're not related to the original book. I'll just pick up Grail Prince at some point instead.
The Child Queen The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur by Nancy McKenzie which is a stand alone
Guinevere's Gift (Chrysalis Queen Quartet, #1) by Nancy McKenzie which is part of a series

message 36: by Stacia (the 2010 club), The Ace (last edited Feb 23, 2014 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments My friend has mentioned how the Tristan and Isolde retelling of Prince of Dreams A Tale of Tristan and Esyllte by Nancy McKenzie hapens about 25 years after the end of Queen of Camelot and The Grail Prince. I might read that at some point because I loved the movie Tristan and Isolde.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Okay, last post. I feel like such a learning nerd right now and went on a hunt for Arthurian fiction.

At the top of this list is the famed Mists of Avalon, which I know many consider to be the book to read for this theme, and it's high on my list, but I also found The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles, #1) by Bernard Cornwell on there and I've been wanting to try Bernard Cornwell for a while now, so I'm adding that to my list. Cornwell is a well-loved historical fiction author, so I might as well try him out while reading a subject I'm interested in.

Back to other stuff - I have tried pulling up the webpage for GR on my iphone but it's the only webpage which doesn't navigate well for some reason, so I've been using the app. The only two things I can't figure out how to do on the app are edit/delete posts and click on spoiler tags (it just says spoilers removed). But I usually can go fetch my laptop or my tablet if I need to do something more in depth on the site. I tend to do all of my reviewing, post making, poll making, etc. with my laptop anyway and just use my phone to check updates.

I don't blame you for being tired of wearing nice clothes! I live in jeans as much as possible, but I try to make sure that I have a few nice outfits for special occasions.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Leea wrote: "I stopped at 70%. We can start using chapter numbers instead, I didn't realize you were reading off your nook. I stopped between a chapter but when I get to one i'll make sure and remember the num..."

Whoops, I forgot to reply to your last comment here, so that last post saying it was the last post was a fakeout. :p

Camelot was interesting, but not worth the watch if you don't like things not being wrapped up. Starz had planned for a season 2, so there were a lot of loose ends hanging when the show was cancelled.

Hopefully you'll find something on In Demand or Prime. I do that a lot, check all 3 places (netflix, amazon, in demand) in search of shows. Maybe you'll find another movie like King Arthur or something?

message 39: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments I read a little bit more... 71% now but wow - something big is about to happen and I hate having to put it down.

First Knight was that older, like 1995 with Richard Gere? Still searching for something to fill my Arthur obsession right now. haha!

I'd be up for reading Grail Prince. I know this post is all over the place haha!

Okay, I wont watch Camelot. We did try watching it when it came out but we couldn't get into it.

I live in jeans too. I do have a lot of dress up clothes because I need them. I need to get some closed toed heels. Right now the weather is warm here, mid 70's so I busted out the flip flops. haha!

message 40: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments What about reading The Mists of Avalon?

message 41: by Stacia (the 2010 club), The Ace (last edited Feb 24, 2014 12:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Yeah, First Knight was the older film, but I think it's held up fairly well, other than a few cheesy parts. I have never been a Richard Gere fan (something about him creeps me out and he's not attractive to me), but thought he brought the emotion and loyalty of Lancelot to life.

But yeah...not the prettiest cast in First Knight. While I adore Sean Connery, he seemed way too old for Arthur. The cast of King Arthur was definitely much prettier. I adore Clive Owen, and whoever played Lancelot was hot (although that movie covered the battle at the start of Queen of Camelot, so they never got into the love affair with Lancelot in that movie).

I like posts that are all over the place! I want to read Grail Prince (well, depending on how this book ends. If it ends shitty, then I don't know!) and definitely want to read Mists of Avalon, but will need a little break before I dive into another book of this magnitude for sure!

*edit* Just checked and I didn't realize how many people on my friends list have read Mists of Avalon, and it's almost all 4 and 5 star reviews. That's crazy. One of my absolute pickiest friends gave it a very enthusiastic 5 stars, which she hardly ever hands out to books. Regina didn't finish it though. Interesting.

message 42: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - added it

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments I read it. It was really great, but sort of slow.

message 43: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments Hmmm, maybe i'll read it in a few months. haha!

I'm now to chapter 41, 78% I do hope to finish today but this book is so detailed and she packs so much into a chapter that it just takes me while to read it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments There's no way I'll be finishing it until tomorrow at the earliest, and probably not until late tomorrow. I agree that's it's not a quick read, and think it needs to be broken up into sections. Even if I wanted to, I don't think I could sit down and read for hours at a time on the book.

Wendy, did you mean Mists of Avalon?

message 45: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments I agree, I may need to pick something quick up to make Camelot not feel so daunting but I also want to know what happens in the end.

message 46: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - added it

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments Stacia (queen of double standards) wrote: "There's no way I'll be finishing it until tomorrow at the earliest, and probably not until late tomorrow. I agree that's it's not a quick read, and think it needs to be broken up into sections. Eve..."

Yeah, Mists of Avalon is what I meant. I read it when I was younger, and I liked it a lot at the time but I'll never go back and reread it because it was slow.

BUUUT, that's what my cousin says about Outlander and Mists of Avalon is her most favorite book ever, hahaha.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments I'm finished.

OH MY GOD.

First off - Mothereffing Mordred. O.o

Second off - (view spoiler)

About Galahad - (view spoiler) I am probably going to have to read his book at some point because I thought that was a (view spoiler)

message 48: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments Holy crap... I didn't read a word today, tomorrow I hope to finish it. I want to click on that spoiler so bad!!!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments No rush on finishing. I hit that point when I picked it up last night where I realized that I was close enough to the end that I wanted to push on through.

I realized that I'd forgotten another Arthurian movie I'd watched recently. It was a random Netflix pick for the movie version of Avalon High by Meg Cabot . I was going to read the book but the movie didn't impress me, so I gave it a pass.

A friend over on Booklikes recommended The Once and Future King (The Once and Future King, #1-4) by T.H. White . She said it was brilliant, so I might check that out at some point.

But listopia has a bunch of arthurian fiction. I think it would be nice to find one with a strong romantic bent to it. Not that I don't like the fantasy side, but I'd love to read one (view spoiler)

message 50: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments I finally finished this morning and boy was this book long!! My review is up... I sort of wanted something more in the end but I now need an Arthurian movie/tv show to watch. Ha!

Yeah, I think we should buddy read another Arthur book for sure. I agree with you about Gwen and Lancelot :)

« previous 1