Wuthering Heights Wuthering Heights discussion

What is the nature of love in the novel?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Naura Okay so I'm to submit an assignment based on this question-what is the nature of love in the Novel?
How am I to write pages on THAT?
I was thinking that maybe I could talk about love in other relationships too besides that of Catherine and Heathcliff; for instance-Catherine Jr. and Linton Jr...?
Ohh I don't know :O
Kindly voice out your opinions :)

Paul Martin Well, I guess you can't really write about 'Love' in 'Wuthering Heights' without touching in on how obsessive, narcissistic and destructive it is.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Spoilers Everywhere!!!
Hmm, I read this book a while back. Heathcliff and Catherine loved each other so much, they became one. But it's not selfish love, I mean Catherine married Linton to help Heathcliff... she wasn't thinking about herself. Loving each other was probably the purpose of their lives, so clearly it's obsessive. The neurotic Heathcliff then married Linton's sister as revenge on Catherine. But that was not the only Love in the novel. Linton also loved Catherine, and even that was sincere and devoted. I don't think the juniors loved each other, they were bored in the countryside , because when Catherine Jr found out about Linton Jr's personality, I don't think she liked him anymore and Linton Jr didn't love anyone. But there was probably love between Hareton and Catherine Jr, and honestly, I don't understand that love. I'd like it if someone would explain that to me...

Naura Paulmartin wrote: "Well, I guess you can't really write about 'Love' in 'Wuthering Heights' without touching in on how obsessive, narcissistic and destructive it is."

"obsessive, narcissistic and destructive"- hey I LIKE that! Something to work on;thank you so much :)

message 5: by Naura (last edited Feb 25, 2014 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Naura @Ayesha- hahaha :D You seem to be lost between everybody's love XD

Don't you think the uh LOVE between Catherine Jr. and her father also needs some talking about?? I mean there WAS love there too!