Chicks On Lit discussion

A MUST-READ Article for All Industry Professionals!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) | 14 comments Hi All,

I've just written a new article called Online Badmouthing Can Cause A Writer Their Career. Don't Do It.

Check it out below and I welcome comments. I hope everyone takes it seriously. This practice has been running rampant lately and it's been getting under my skin. There is a difference between authors sharing info to protect each other or for the good of someone's well being, but badmouthing people in public because you've got a grudge is not the right thing to do. It has been bothering me so much that I had to write an article on it. I hope you enjoy and learn from it.

http://www.articlesbase.com/writing-a...

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I'm wondering the same thing Teri. In my experience, there has been none of that kind of thing happen in this forum. And is it supposed to be "COST" a writer their career??

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I'm not certain but I don't believe this was an article written towards anyone here. Stacy-Deanne has actually written a few articles targetted with information for and about authors. This particular article she shared with a few of the other groups that she is actively part of.
I havent really seen bad mouthing of authors although clearly everyone has those they like and don't like and GR is a forum set up to specifically discuss opinions on books and authors.
It brings up an interesting idea though. In the past there have been books that the author has been part of the group or the discussion. Does that influence how you respond to the book or the discussion? I have to admit it is one reason why I am hesitant about friending authors. What if I dont like their book (or future book) I want to be able to say that without offending them while still being honest in my reviews of the books I read.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I totally agree, Tera. I think I've only really bashed one book here but I didn't really stop to think that the author might read it. A while back I got a message from the author thanking me for reading the book but being very gracious about me not liking the book. Then I felt bad. If I had been aware of her presence on Goodreads prior to posting the review, my review might have been much different.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I totally agree, Tera. I think I've only really bashed one book here but I didn't really stop to think that the author might read it. A while back I got a message from the author thanking me for reading the book but being very gracious about me not liking the book. Then I felt bad. If I had been aware of her presence on Goodreads prior to posting the review, my review might have been much different.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I have a friend who always says speak softly and sweetly that way if you have to eat your words it won't be so bad. :) But I'm one for the truth if I like a book or not. It's just an opinion. Shouldn't make or break someone.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Tera, you bring up a good point about authors here on GR. But look at it this way.... we are the readers, every book is not for every person. What you write in your review is your honest opinion. What is the difference in you writing your opinion than someone who writes a review for the NY Times? (Aside from the obvious pay).... Their reviews are their opinions, they just happen to get paid for writing them and they are read by thousands of people.

I don't think that you should have to censor your review because it may upset the author. Every one of your reviews I have read, have always been very well written and thought out....an honest critique.

I think all of us here do that...

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy (judy5cents) | 6 comments This article sounds a bit like the warnings I've given to my 13 year old daughter about Facebook and Myspace--"Don't post anything online that you wouldn't say out loud face to face."

All writers need to learn that an attack on their work is not an attack on them. If a reader thinks your book is the worst thing she's ever read, that's it's a meandering mess of self-absorbed crap, just let it go. Replying to the post only makes you look childish.

However, Stacey-Deanne is right about the consequences for aspiring authors who trash agents and publishers. There's no point in annoying the people who can help you. You could finally land that meeting with an agent, only to find out he's read your blog on your dealings with the total incompetents at his agency. Your big chance is blown.

Posts on the internet are fleeting, but they never go away.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I am honest in my reviews, when I post them, whether or not I like a book. I don't bash the author on a personal level or anything like that, if I don't like the book, I say so and why. And I don't taken into consideration whether or not he or she is on GoodReads.

I had an author send me a message because, while I liked her book, there was a situation that perpetuates an urban legend of sorts, proven time and again not to be true, and while I realize the book was fiction, I noted that the use of this urban legend took away from an otherwise really engrossing story for me. She told me she based it on a newspaper article about a man, etc. and I asked her if she ever researched it beyond that article and she never replied.

As a writer, you have to be fully prepared for positive AND negative feedback on your work. No one wants a 'bad review,' but I believe it to be impossible for everyone to like every book they read and as a writer, you know not everyone will like your work, but that's ok. It really is. That's their opinion, to which they are entitled to as you the author are entitled to yours.

Attacking an author personally is another story and I believe is uncalled for, unless he or she has done so to you and then you have the right to defend yourself.

message 10: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) This is an interesting debate - I'd be interested to hear what the authors themselves think so if there are any on her maybe they could post their views???

For me, I am a huge believer in the idea that all feedback is a gift. Good feedback is always nice to hear but the best feedback is balanced and allows the receiver to learn and get better – this requires some constructive criticism.

If you feel your feedback is in danger of being unbalanced for whatever reason always remember the ‘poo sandwich’ - make sure that if you have criticisms that you sandwich them between two bits of praise! – it always goes down much better and will not demoralise the receiver.

If I were an author, I'd like to think I’d respect the reader’s position. Once the book hits the shelves it ceases to be the sole property of the writer - the reader MUST bring their own experiences to the table in order to 'complete' the process. If a piece of feedback was coming up again and again I'd want to look closely at whether it was valid before dismissing it or taking it personally. However, ego’s are very fragile things! So in all instances – be balanced and fair and give tangible examples. ‘I hate it’ just doesn’t help but ‘I hate it because…’ could be potentially useful.

Ally