The Reader's Bar discussion

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
This topic is about The Cuckoo's Calling
Open for Discussion > February Book Discussion-The Cuckoo's Calling

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Please post your comments about this book below.

Anyone start reading this one yet? If so, what are your thoughts so far?

What do you think of the author's writing style?

How do you feel about Strike so far?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) I like Strike. He's a man's man.....flaws and all. I hope I really get into this book soon. I have two papers to complete before I can engulfed. I miss you ladies and hope to be back soon in full swing. Until then happy reading!

Lethea wrote: "I like Strike. He's a man's man.....flaws and all. I hope I really get into this book soon. I have two papers to complete before I can engulfed. I miss you ladies and hope to be back soon in full ..."

Yeah, Strike is who he is and he does not try to sugar coat it. I also think that he is good at what he does.

Hurry up and finish those two papers so that you can get back to discussing. lol Good luck. I look forward to chatting with you.

How is everyone else doing with this book?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) One down and 500 + words to go!

Lethea wrote: "One down and 500 + words to go!"

Good luck.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Done. Now I had a friend to ask me to help her write a 10 page report....SINGLE SPACE!

What are your thoughts on the title of this book?

Lethea wrote: "Done. Now I had a friend to ask me to help her write a 10 page report....SINGLE SPACE!"

Oh boy! Good luck.

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 223 comments Lethea wrote: "Done. Now I had a friend to ask me to help her write a 10 page report....SINGLE SPACE!"

Glad you finished your papers!
"Help" her write a single-spaced 10 page report :)

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Beverly wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Done. Now I had a friend to ask me to help her write a 10 page report....SINGLE SPACE!"

Glad you finished your papers!
"Help" her write a single-spaced 10 page report :)"

Beverly

Beverly:
I don't know....I've written 5 out of 10 and it's not easy....strategic planning....head hurting!

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Done. Now I had a friend to ask me to help her write a 10 page report....SINGLE SPACE!"

Oh boy! Good luck."

I'm 5 down...hopefully we can finish the other 5 together. I don't like procrastination!

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "What are your thoughts on the title of this book?"

I think the book matches the storyline so far. Everyone has some type of crazy in them. Robin likes the job because it's filled with mystery without the promise of a real income. Strike has a one leg and a crazy ex and he's broke and trying to pretend that he's not. The brother and his family has some type of mystery surrounding them.

I like the title...the cover was a mystery but it's all surrounding the "suicide." Ask me again when I've read more than 17%.

Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "What are your thoughts on the title of this book?"

I think the book matches the storyline so far. Everyone has some type of crazy in them. Robin likes the job because it's filled wi..."

Yeah, I think that she does a good job of painting her characters as being normal people. Everyone has some type of problem or issue that they need to deal with.

Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Done. Now I had a friend to ask me to help her write a 10 page report....SINGLE SPACE!"

Oh boy! Good luck."

I'm 5 down...hopefully we can finish the other 5 together..."

Great, you are halfway there.

message 19: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 223 comments Denise -

I saw you rated this book a "3" and while I think a "3" is solid rating though it seems more and more these days that readers and authors think otherwise.

I was wondering why a "3"?
What did you like about the book?
What did you not like about the book?

It seems that you and Lethea are the only ones reading.

Beverly wrote: "Denise -

I saw you rated this book a "3" and while I think a "3" is solid rating though it seems more and more these days that readers and authors think otherwise.

I was wondering why a "3"?
What..."

I enjoyed this book but at times it felt like the author was just dragging things out. Although, I rated it a 3, I would still read other books by this author.

message 21: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise -

I was wondering..."

Thanks for explaining - I learn more about books when understanding why a reader likes or did not like.

What you said is what I have heard from others.

I think this book is a good example of an author's brand selling a book. Once readers found out who the author really was it was an instant bestseller.

And I too do not expect each book of an authors to be a "wow" book - you mentioned that you would read another book by the author - since she writes in different genres - does it matter to you which genre?

There are a couple of authors who write in different genres and I tend to like their writing in one genre over another.

Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise -

..."

I agree that her brand is helping her sell this book. I looked at some of the reviews on goodreads and many of them did say that they read this book because of her success with her Harry Potter books. I guess it is a good way to get in the door or start into a new genre. If she comes out with a new mystery we will have to see if it does as well.

I would probably just read another mystery from her. I have not read any of her other books. Have you?

I can see how that is possible. Do you know of any authors that write good books no matter what genre that they are writing in?

message 23: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise -

I saw you rated this book a "3" and while I think a "3" is solid rating though it seems more and more these days that readers and authors th..."

Here are a couple of authors off the top of my head that I think writes well across different genres:

Beverly Jenkins
Mat Johnson
David Anthony Durham
A.C. Arthur (writes under different names for different genres)
Maureen Smith

message 24: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise -

I saw you rated this book a "3" and while I think a "3" is solid rating though it seems more and more these days that readers and authors th..."

I have not read any of the Harry Potter books - not a fan of YA or wizards. I have not seen the movies either. :)

Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise -

I saw you rated this book a "3" and while I think a "3" is solid rating though it seems more and more these days that readers..."

Thanks

Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise -

I saw you rated this book a "3" and while I think a "3" is solid rating though it seems more and more these days that readers..."

Yeah, I know what you mean. lol I have watched the movies with my daughter. I could not get her to read the books though.

What do you think of Strike's investigation style? Is Robin a good sidekick?

Would you recommend this book? Would you read another book by this author?

message 29: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Would you recommend this book? Would you read another book by this author?"

If you did like this book - the next book in the series will be out later this year

Galbraith, Robert. The Silkworm. Mulholland: Little, Brown. Jun. 2014. 384p. ISBN 9780316206877. $28. THRILLER
As we all know, Galbraith’s first Cormoran Strike novel won great reviews but not great sales until it was revealed that Galbraith was actually J.K. Rowling. Wouldn’t you know a famous novelist is at the heart of this second Strike outing. When Owen Quine disappears, his wife assumes that he’s on one of his little escapades and asks Strike to find him and bring him home. But as Strike discovers, Quine has just finished a novel full of nasty portraits of people he knows, and one of them may have wanted to finish him off. Just announced but out in June

Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Would you recommend this book? Would you read another book by this author?"

If you did like this book - the next book in the series will be out later this year

Galbraith, Robert. T..."

Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to see how well this book does.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) The book is sort of dragging. It needs to tell the story to keep the reader interested. I'm more than halfway through and I've never put a book down ad much as I've put this one. I'm usually done and ready for discussion.

Lethea wrote: "The book is sort of dragging. It needs to tell the story to keep the reader interested. I'm more than halfway through and I've never put a book down ad much as I've put this one. I'm usually done a..."

Yeah, that is exactly how I felt at different times throughout the book. Do not give up. It will start to pick up.

Lethea wrote: "The book is sort of dragging. It needs to tell the story to keep the reader interested. I'm more than halfway through and I've never put a book down ad much as I've put this one. I'm usually done a..."

Have things gotten any better?

Has your view of Lula changed as you continue to read the book?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) I'm 75% done and I'm just at the part where Strike just left talking with Evan. I hope it gets better. This book is written in a style that most English people enjoy. I should be through by Friday

Lethea wrote: "I'm 75% done and I'm just at the part where Strike just left talking with Evan. I hope it gets better. This book is written in a style that most English people enjoy. I should be through by Friday"

Yeah, I noticed that too. So I looked up J.K. Rowling and found out that she is from England.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) I'm done. The intensity picked up in the book but I feel that it was just too late. The title of the book not only fits Lula but almost every character in the book. One thing I wasn't expecting was Bristow being the killer. I really thought it was his uncle Tony. Hope March's book doesn't drag like this one.

Lethea wrote: "I'm done. The intensity picked up in the book but I feel that it was just too late. The title of the book not only fits Lula but almost every character in the book. One thing I wasn't expecting w..."

Yeah, the book just took off towards the end of the book. It was right around when he gets dragged to the police station. Why do you think that it dragged so much? Was it the English slang? Was it too detailed? Would you read another book in this series?

I thought that it was Tony too. She described him as being a bad guy. As if he did not get along with anyone. I was very shocked that it was Bristow.

Lethea wrote: "I'm done. The intensity picked up in the book but I feel that it was just too late. The title of the book not only fits Lula but almost every character in the book. One thing I wasn't expecting w..."

Right now Divergent is in the lead for the March read. There is still one more day to vote.

Did you at anytime believe that Lula had committed suicide?

message 41: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "I'm done. The intensity picked up in the book but I feel that it was just too late. The title of the book not only fits Lula but almost every character in the book. One thing I was..."

As a friend of mine says - Every book is not for everybody but every book is for someone.

Over the years I have found that I am not a fan of British style mysteries and so these books do not pique my interest. I usually read BOMs but with this one at almost 500 pages I knew it would probably such drag too much for me (if it was 350 pages or less I would have given it a try).

Now I do enjoy Japanese mysteries which also has a style of its own - they tend to be "how did they do it" types of mysteries.

Also enjoy historical mysteries (like Persia Walker and Laura Joh Rowland's Feudal Japan series), cultural mysteries such as Kwei Quartey's Darko Dawson series, and "chick noir".

Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "I'm done. The intensity picked up in the book but I feel that it was just too late. The title of the book not only fits Lula but almost every character in the book. ..."

That saying is so true. This was my first British style mystery so it is good to know that from your experience they are pretty much the same. I will do my best to avoid them in the future. lol I will have to give Japanese mysteries a try. They sound interesting. Any recommendations for authors to look for?

message 43: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "I'm done. The intensity picked up in the book but I feel that it was just too late. The title of the book not only fits Lula but almost every characte..."

I think this a good Japanese mystery to start with:

The Devotion of Suspect X: A Detective Galileo Novel by Keigo Higashino

Another one - not Japanese, but Korean and while not labelled as mystery per se but there is a mystery is:

Please Look After Mom by Shin Kyung-sook

message 44: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "I'm done. The intensity picked up in the book but I feel that it was just too late. The title of the book not only fits Lula but almost every characte..."

While not fond of British mysteries I do like "chick noir" where a lot of the authors are British.
This is the term that grew out of the popularity Gone Girl and other similar books.

Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "I'm done. The intensity picked up in the book but I feel that it was just too late. The title of the book not only fits Lula but almost..."

Thanks. I have added them to my to read list. I am going to try and squeeze them in soon. There are just so many books and so little time. lol