Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Small Story Project – Looking for participants

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (new)

Alice Reeds (alice_reeds) | 15 comments Hello!

I’m Alice Reeds, author of “Into the Unknown”, and I’m looking for fellow authors/bloggers/writers that would be interested in participating in a little project.

My idea is quite simple and based upon the way that Dash & Lily's Book of Dares is written. One person, whoever chooses to participate, starts by writing an amount of words, which we decided upon, and then sends it to me. I read it and add my amount of words. And so as we go back and forth a story comes to life. There is no specific limit of how long the story should be, it simply ends when we both decide that it has a good ending.

All the rules are changeable and open for discussion. Further, I thought that if we both like the story, we could post it on our blogs or websites, if we want to. I think it might be a nice idea which could get the creative juices flowing and also might be interesting for our readers.

So, what do you guys think? Anyone interested?

message 2: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments It's not a bad idea....good way to excersize those mental muscles

message 3: by D.C. (new)

D.C. (dcmallory) | 15 comments Alice, I think I would be interested. It sounds like it would be fun, and who knows what could be thought up. I would think that different writing styles might be an issue though. I would imagine that would be hard to get around.

Anyway, let me know if you decide to go ahead with this.

dcm

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) I do that often with my friends. Id do it ;)

message 5: by Raymond (last edited Feb 03, 2014 11:15AM) (new)

Raymond Koonce (goodreadscomraymond_koonce) | 71 comments Alice wrote: "Hello!

I’m Alice Reeds, author of “Into the Unknown”, and I’m looking for fellow authors/bloggers/writers that would be interested in participating in a little project.

My idea is quite simple an..."

Hello, Alice. I have done exactly what you're suggesting with a lady author of my acquaintance. It became a story worth pursuing, but we never finished for various reasons. What was interesting were the POVs. She assumed the character of a very lady-like duchess with martial skills of her own while I became the commander of her small army. The story was fantasy, set in another world, complete with dragons and magic. Was actually a lot of fun to write and the subtle male-female writing styles that manifested were most interesting. I wouldn't mind being involved in something like that again. I would add that there was no outline that we followed. Instead, I let her set the events as the story unfolded and simply had my character respond to what she set up. Worked well.

message 6: by Feliks (last edited Feb 03, 2014 11:25AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Alice wrote: "I’m looking for fellow authors/bloggers/writers that would be interested in participating in..."

I've done group-writing a ton of times in the past and I strongly feel that a tight set of rules be understood beforehand...by all who choose to participate. For example, "don't kill off someone else's character" (especially if they're using that character's POV to tell the story).

Define the cast of characters, setting, timeperiod, and other 'basics' beforehand. What if one participant wants to use expletives? Failing to work-these-issue-out prior to embarking, wind up making people work at cross-purposes and wasting effort/time/investment. The situations I've seen have made me reluctant to get involved ever again, unless I see such pre-planning.

message 7: by Ron (new)

Ron Albury | 56 comments Let me just toss in an idea (I like to run with scissors, so feel free to ignore me).

I enjoy books that start off introducing characters, 1 chapter per character (I believe Catch-22 is like this). I have always thought that is a good framework for several people to cooperate on a story - each author takes one 'introductory' chapter. There would need to be some general agreement on where the story is going to go, and perhaps your 'alternating' approach to write the last couple of chapters.

I haven't thought it all the way through - I just thought I'd toss it out and see if anyone has done anything like this and if so, how it went.

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice Reeds (alice_reeds) | 15 comments Right now I started to write a story with Emma and the way we've done it was that I started with writing a paragraph to which she responded and soon Emma came up with the idea that the story should play in the early 1800's in Italy. I liked the idea, even though thats not a time or place in which I normaly set my stories, so we went with it. We are both writing the point of view of the same character and are making up the storyline as we go. We've set no specifics as to where the story might go or who is who, it just all unfolded as we went along.

Of couse, if you would like to have all such things discussed and planned prior to writing, that is fully doable too. As I said before, there are no limitations and everything can be changed and discussed.
If one prefers to establish rules first thats just as fine as just working it out as we go.

I very much like the idea of having a male and female character and just see how the characters respond to something the other one has done, just like "Dash & Lily's Book of Dares" was done.

message 9: by Hiba (new)

Hiba (over-achiever) | 3 comments Hey, all!
I'd be up for this if anyone's interested. :)

message 10: by Emma (last edited Feb 03, 2014 12:49PM) (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) In my group Giulianzo's Plato's Academy of Florence and the Confraternity of the Magi, there's a folder where we have topics like this - where you can contribute to a story. There are only 16 members so please join!!!

I know the title is long and a little off-putting, it's just that my friends and I made it up and it stuck.