The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

compelling fiction

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie Barnes I've read the hunger games at least four times since last spring. It always moves, there aren't any slow parts. I'm looking for other fiction that is the same way. No dragging, boring sections. Any recommendations?

Samuel I would recommend Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. I read Yuji Oniki's English translation and it was Thrill-iscious! It might be too graphic sometimes, but it's basically for plot and effect. Many people who have read both The Hunger Games Trilogy and Battle Royale find Battle Royale to be superior to the Hunger Games. In Battle Royale, the reader gets to see the perspectives and experience of several if not all of the students. I would not be surprised if Suzanne Collins based the Hunger Games partly or entirely or Battle Royale.

Also a book I recommend, that is not about people being forced to kill each other until there is a single survivor, is 100 Cupboards. The author, N.D. Wilson, may have been inspired by Suzanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander series. There are one or two brief sections that were dragging and confusing, and slightly boring only for those reasons. Other than that, the story is fun and intriguing, and if you read it, you will probably be glad you did. It is mainly written for readers younger than me, but I still liked the book, and I hope the series gets better and better.

Kelly Brigid ♡ I would recommend The Maze Runner triology by James Dashner. I actually liked it even more than The Hunger Games (complete trilogy). I found this book remarkably similar and believe you will find amazing similarities. It was well written and very interesting. Highly recommended.

message 4: by Tina J (last edited Feb 10, 2014 02:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina J Samuel wrote: "I would recommend Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. I read Yuji Oniki's English translation and it was Thrill-iscious! It might be too graphic sometimes, but it's basically for plot and effect. M..."

Just wanted to add that Takami got 'his' idea from Stephen King's The Running Man. So not exactly a unique idea, but Takami definitely does NOT deserve credit for Collins work.
Besides, I thought Collins Hunger Games was actually more thought out than Battle Royale. Kidnapping a bunch of high school teens and throwing them into a death match. Not much story there.
Whereas I like the fact that Collins made her games somewhat law to participate, so it wasn't illegal. Which I found to be way more interesting. The corrupt government and they way each district lives. Sorry, but I think Collins work is much more superior......but hey, isn't that a great thing about different opinions! ;-)

Btw, The Maze Runner series is nothing like Hunger Games. In fact, it sucks....but only you can be the judge of that. Happy reading everyone!

message 5: by Samuel (last edited Feb 10, 2014 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samuel Koushun Takami said he got the idea from a teacher in a show telling his students that he would make them all go out and "kill each other," or something to that extent, but the teacher in the show seemed to be joking. I enjoyed the suspense provided by Battle Royale as well as The Hunger Games, but I acknowledge that the perilous situations the students and people faced are no laughing matter.

I have not read The Running Man, but Stephen King was probably inspired by one of his favorite books, The Lord of the Flies. I did enjoy Desperation by Stephen King.

I didn't say (and I mean this in a calm, respectful way, not a mad, overly defensive way) that Koushun Takami was the first to come up with the idea, just that I thought it was likely that Suzanne Collins bases the Hunger Games on Battle Royale. However, since you mentioned the Running Man, I suppose Suzanne Collins could have had many different inspirations or maybe was not exposed to much modern Hunger Games-esque dystopian fiction before writing The Hunger Games trilogy. I'll look into it. I have read Gregor the Overlander volume one and find her to be a talented author.

A book I have not yet recommended that I think is compelling fiction is Homeland - Volume One of the Dark Elf Trilogy - by R. A. Salvatore. I found it to be a thought-provoking, enjoyable fantasy (moreso sword and sorcery than Epic/High fantasy) that may be considered dystopian. The Underdark is where many groups of corrupt drow live, and the main character, Drizzt Do-Urden- somehow - wants to rise above the shady society.

You might want to try The Memory of Earth by Orson Scott Card. Many people find Ender's Game to be "wrong," and I can see where they are coming from, but I think they misinterpret his writing or intent or something.

The Princess and the Goblin is an amazing story I just finished reading, and I'm honest about this- there were no boring sections or parts that dragged on. It was a charming and easy read, and among other things, it can teach people how to sympathize with those who do not understand, believe or see something that you see. I really loved this book by George MacDonald, and I am excited to read The Princess and Curdie, the sequel to The Princess and the Goblin. I would consider reading The Princess and the Goblin aloud in sections to children who ask you to read them a story.

Susie Barnes I appreciate all of the suggestions! Unfortunately, I think it's getting easier and easier for authors to imagine our world getting seriously dystopian. I'll start at the top and try them all, except anything by Orson Scott Card. He lives in my town and writes anti-gay and extremely conservative diatribes that are published in the local alternative conservative press. I have no problem with conservatives but will not put one cent in Card's pocket, he wishes hateful fates upon people he doesn't agree with.

Susie Barnes OK, I'm reading Gregor the Overland and there's a big cockroach in the first part. Do references to roaches go away soon or is it part of the book. I can't read past the first scene with it. I hate roaches!

Jenner Susie, you should try reading Divergent by Veronica Roth, or The Host by Stephenie Meyer. They're both sci-fi dystopian books, and they're really action-packed, much like The Hunger Games. There's dark themes, but the stories are compelling and truly original. Divergent is a part of a trilogy. After Divergent, there's Insurgent and Allegiant, (Allegiant is by far the worst in the series, but push through, if you read it.) I hope these suggestions help! :)

Samuel If I remember correctly, cockroaches of great size show up regularly in Gregor the Overlander, and so do other bugs that are much larger than we know them to be. I would encourage you to try to adjust to the cockroaches because I think the story is pretty good, but if you really cannot adjust to it - and I don't disrespect that - I would suggest you stop reading Gregor the Overlander and maybe read spoilers of the book or a synopsis that doesn't give too many details.

In case you can't stand certain other bugs, I should inform you that in Homeland, there is a giant species of... a certain well known bug that is often feared or disliked. I didn't want to say the exact common name of the type of bug in case it would make you feel sick because perhaps you cannot stand this type of bug. And I mean that in the most respectful and understanding of ways- sometimes I get a little nervous around these bugs myself.

If you would like to read something like Gregor the Overlander but without giant bugs, then one of my other recommendations, 100 Cupboards by N. D. Wilson, should be a fine choice. I do not know if there are giant bugs in the sequels to 100 Cupboards.

I didn't know about Orson Scott Card's diatribes before I read any of his fiction, but my assumption is that his writings are grossly misquoted or taken out of context. I could be wrong. I made a mental note to see whether or not his diatribes are really hateful or not. Anyway, enjoy the books we have recommended!

Susie Barnes Thanks! I'll archive that on my nook. I can deal with spiders, ants, beetles but not roaches. I watched every single episode of Xfiles ever made, except the one that started with a couple teenagers tripping and they were seeing the bugs burrowing into their skin. Yep, I snapped the TV off right away.