Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Nancy's June Reads

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (Hrdcovers) (last edited Jul 05, 2009 10:40AM) (new)

Nancy (Hrdcovers) (TheReader23) | 30 comments Gone are the days when I used to read 7 or 8 books a month. My reads for June are only two.

Beach Trip by Cathy Holton -- I'm always in search of a female bonding book that was as good as Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney or Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik. The cover of this book and the inside jacket description gave me hope that this might be the one. Well, it wasn't. Four college roommates meet up twenty years later for a week long vacation. What the author doesn't understand is that to make the book a success, the reader must like the characters. I couldn't stand any of them!!! "6"

Trust No One by Greg Hurwitz -- Oh the power of "Twitter". I have Joe Finder as one of the people I follow and he highly recommended this book more than once. Since Finder is one of my favorite authors, I rushed right out and bought it. What Finder should have said was, "Hey, this guy is a friend of mine and I'm trying to push this book for him." The scenario was preposterous. The book had its moments of a good read but nothing great. When I got to the Acknowledgment section at the end, guess who the author thanked for his help. Yep!! Joe Finder. "6.5"

I am, however, reading a fabulous book right now, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, so I know at least one of my July reads is going to be a winner. I thought it was Sherry who had recommended this to me but I see it's just on her list for June so it must have been someone else. In any event, whoever it was, thank you.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Jul 05, 2009 10:34AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14992 comments Nancy:
It must be disappointing to have the two books you selected for the month fall short of the mark. Thanks for letting us know about them so we are warned. I sometimes think the "not so good" books are there so we'll appreciate the jewels even more when they come! Here's to July!

Nancy (Hrdcovers) wrote: "Gone are the days when I used to read 7 or 8 books a month. My reads for June are only two."

Nancy (Hrdcovers) (TheReader23) | 30 comments Ann --

You're right. But I think for someone who doesn't expect as much as we do, Trust No One would probably be a good read.

message 4: by Claudia (CJ) (new)

Claudia (CJ) | 133 comments Nancy (Hrdcovers) wrote: "Gone are the days when I used to read 7 or 8 books a month. My reads for June are only two.

Nancy I hear ya, I did manage to read more than two but its a rare month I do read that many......just curious how many have you read so far this year? My total is : ( 16! (with so many good books out there I only read 16 ha!)
I too want to read Cutting for Stone, sounds like you are liking it alot now I want to read this one next lol.

Nancy (Hrdcovers) (TheReader23) | 30 comments Claudia wrote: "Nancy (Hrdcovers) wrote: "Gone are the days when I used to read 7 or 8 books a month. My reads for June are only two.

Nancy I hear ya, I did manage to read more than two but its a rare month I d..."

Claudia --

So far I've read 11 books this year and, since I'm almost done with Cutting For Stone, I'll say 12 books. This actually isn't bad considering I only read 19 books last year. So with half of the year done and 12 books under my belt, I should hopefully end up the year with about 24 books read which is only a third of what I used to read.

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3796 comments I am, however, reading a fabulous book right now, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, so I know at least one of my July reads is going to be a winner. I thought it was Sherry who had recommended this to me but I see it's just on her list for June so it must have been someone else. In any event, whoever it was, thank you.

i am so glad you are liking cutting for stone, nancy. i was enthralled with it and didn't want it to end. that doesn't happen to often!
i think it was connie who recommended it to me, so maybe that's where it came for you, too?
as for the hurwitz book- i hear you. i am reading a book now called i apologize that i won from good reads. so far, it's ok but not a great book. hoping it picks up.

Nancy (Hrdcovers) (TheReader23) | 30 comments Sherry wrote: "I am, however, reading a fabulous book right now, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, so I know at least one of my July reads is going to be a winner. I thought it was Sherry who had recommended..."

Sherry --

I feel exactly the same way. When I'm about to pick it up again, I can't wait to see what they've been doing since I left them. I really think I'm at my tail end with mediocre books. I just can't tolerate them. This is the kind of book I love and I'm just going to have to find more like this. The good news is that Pat Conroy, John Irving and Richard Russo all have books coming out in the next few months. And Joe Finder's new one comes out as well.

Another favorite author of mine, Colin Harrison, also has a new book coming out but I was surprised to see it's only coming out in paperback. I find this disappointing. Also I don't know how many of you remember John Gilstrap but he also has a new book coming out on Tuesday....also in paperback. Go figure!!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14992 comments Nancy:
I wonder if that will be a trend to have more books go straight to paperback? I suppose there is some cost savings that way. Are they trade paperbacks or mass markets (I know I could look that up, but too lazy)

Nancy (Hrdcovers) wrote: "Another favorite author of mine, Colin Harrison, also has a new book coming out but I was surprised to see it's only coming out in paperback. I find this disappointing. Also I don't know how many of you remember John Gilstrap but he also has a new book coming out on Tuesday....also in paperback. Go figure!! "

Nancy (Hrdcovers) (TheReader23) | 30 comments Ann -- They're both regular run of the mill paperbacks.

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1392 comments Ann wrote: "Nancy:
I wonder if that will be a trend to have more books go straight to paperback? I suppose there is some cost savings that way. Are they trade paperbacks or mass markets (I know I could look t..."

Actually, in the old days genre novels like mysteries, science fiction and romances were only in paperback. Then mysteries and science fiction started coming out in hardcover. I remember the first Robert Heinlein hardcover. I think it was I Will Fear No Evil. I thought it was a sign that the publishing industry was taking science fiction more seriously. At the same time there were still many science fiction and mystery books that were paperback originals. In fact, this situation has continued. I think it depends on how much confidence the publisher has in the book. Hardcover romances are a very recent development. Many romance fans grumbled about having to spend more money to get new releases or wait for the paperback.

Shomeret

message 11: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Usually when a HB author's work starts coming out in PB first it's because their contract with the publisher is over and sales of those books produced under contract did not live up to expectations. The author now has a new publisher and their contract is for PB releases.

This means publishers think they still have sales potention, just not in HB format which costs more to produce than PB.

Which is all good, because look at some of our favorites who have disappeared. Baron Birtcher continues to search for someone to publish his books. Jonathon King hasn't written anything in two or three years which may mean his old contract was up and no one picked him up for future books. There are others who also have "disappeared" so to speak.

I rarely read PB's prior to getting my kindle. For some reason, just didn't like to read them, especially the mass market PB size. The trade pb size wasn't too bad and I read several books in that size. BUT since getting my kindle, format doesn't matter at all. So needless to say I have now read a lot of books that I normally would not have read in the past. J. T. Ellison is one of those and I am so glad I did read her books because I really like her, and the Baby Shark series by Robert Fate is another series I discovered because HB,PB, TPB doesn't matter anymore.......

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nanlanc) | 77 comments Different book do not know how to start a new post on here, so adding in here.
Just finished First Family by David Baldacci, what a book! could not put it down, loved it, I think I have a new author and genre of books, just what I do not need! Fabulous political thriller! Nancy

message 13: by annodluvsbks (new)

annodluvsbks | 101 comments Nancy (Hrdcovers) wrote: "I'm always in search of a female bonding book that was as good as Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney or Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik
"

Nancy,
I know how much you like Pat Conroy, but have you ever read anything by his wife Cassandra King? I just finished reading The Same Sweet Girls which is about a group of women who have been friends since college and have been meeting twice a year since they graduated. It's along the same lines as Saving Graces and Angry Housewives. By the time I finished it I was in tears. I think you might like it. I'm going to check out some more of her books too.

message 14: by Nancy (Hrdcovers) (last edited Jul 10, 2009 09:19AM) (new)

Nancy (Hrdcovers) (TheReader23) | 30 comments Donna/annodluvsbks wrote: "Nancy (Hrdcovers) wrote: "I'm always in search of a female bonding book that was as good as Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney or Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik

from Donna:..I know how much you like Pat Conroy, but have you ever read anything by his wife Cassandra King? I just finished reading The Same Sweet Girls which is about a group of women who have been friends since college and have been meeting twice a year since they graduated. It's along the same lines as Saving Graces and Angry Housewives. By the time I finished it I was in tears. I think you might like it. I'm going to check out some more of her books too.

Donna....thanks so much for this recommendation. I'll check it out right away.

message 15: by Sally/Aymster54 (new)

Sally/Aymster54 | 49 comments Nancy -- I haven't been here in weeks, but just saw you note re. Cutting For Stone. This was one "meaty" book that I really loved. It spoiled for for reading anything else for quite a while.
Sally

message 16: by Sally/Aymster54 (new)

Sally/Aymster54 | 49 comments Nancy wrote: "Different book do not know how to start a new post on here, so adding in here.
Just finished First Family by David Baldacci, what a book! could not put it down, loved it, I think I have a new au..."

To the "other" Nancy: I just finished First Family too. Definitely unputdownable!
Sally

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14992 comments Sally:
Don't you love (and sort of hate) reading books like that! The "hate" would be that it takes some of the shine off ordinary books.

Sally/Aymster54 wrote: "Nancy -- I haven't been here in weeks, but just saw you note re. Cutting For Stone. This was one "meaty" book that I really loved. It spoiled mer for reading anything else for quite a while. Sally
"

message 18: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann said: "Don't you love (and sort of hate) reading books like that! The "hate" would be that it takes some of the shine off ordinary books. "

I know that feeling well!

Jan O'Cat

message 19: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1392 comments Sally/Aymster54 wrote: "Nancy -- I haven't been here in weeks, but just saw you note re. Cutting For Stone. This was one "meaty" book that I really loved. It spoiled for for reading anything else for quite a while.
Sally
"

I was surprised to learn that Cutting For Stone is waiting for me at the library. Considering how far down I was on the hold list, I didn't expect to be getting it this fast. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, but I have plenty to read before it.

Shomeret
JF: Dark Fire by C.J. Sansom (Tudor mystery)
Next: Bloody Jack by L. A. Meyer (YA pirate novel)

message 20: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2709 comments Gail/Ladyvolz wrote: I rarely read PB's prior to getting my kindle. For some reason

If you skipped P.J. Parrish' Louis Kinkaid series because of this, I'd give it a try.

message 21: by Sally/Aymster54 (new)

Sally/Aymster54 | 49 comments Good idea, Dan. I've read the Parrish series, but you'all have inspired me to download some PBs to my Kindle. I'm checking out a few more John Ramsey Miller books, the Winter Massey series. Anyone here remember JRM from the old BookNook Hardboiled days? We've been in touch recently and he's working on a new book.

message 22: by Sally/Aymster54 (new)

Sally/Aymster54 | 49 comments Ditto John Gilstrap. He's written a new one: No Mercy.

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14992 comments Sally: That is good news!

Sally/Aymster54 wrote: "Ditto John Gilstrap. He's written a new one: No Mercy."