Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Kekkaishi, Vol. 01 (Kekkaishi, #1)
This topic is about Kekkaishi, Vol. 01
Group Reads > Kekkaishi Discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments Kekkaishi is one of the series we are reading for February. We are discussing the first four volumes as a group.

By night, junior high student Yoshimori Sumimura is a "kekkaishi" - a demon-hunter who specializes in creating magical barriers around his prey. By day, Yoshimori's got some other demons to battle: an addiction to sweets and a seriously crotchety grandfather! Yoshimori's pretty 16-year-old neighbour and childhood friend, Tokine Yukimura, is also a kekkaishi, but their families are feuding over who is the true practitioner of the art. Yoshimori couldn't care less about catching demons...until he realizes that his apathetic attitude is taking a toll on his friendship with Tokine. Just as he decides to take matters into his own hands, a couple of amphibious demons and the pesky ghost of a pastry-chef show up to complicate matters!

Discuss Kekkaishi here!

L.G. (upl8) | 12 comments I recently finished reading the entire series. I enjoyed the humor, action, and plot twists. As members read and post, I will comment further. I look forward to your impressions and comments.

message 3: by Hardian (last edited Feb 05, 2014 02:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hardian | 22 comments I liked Kekkaishi. I liked how Tanabe Yellow sensei developed the concept of a mere barrier box into many interesting possibilities.

I also liked the way the main female lead to have a strong character.

The artwork is pretty decent but I think of necessity or simplicity. Design of characters is good, I liked them.

The amount of humor is also necessary, not too much or too little.

Ahem, other than the well done technical aspects, it also managed to make me care about its characters that it can be touching at its moments. My general impression of Kekkaishi is that it underlines simplicity while keep telling good stories.

(having read Kekkaishi until volume 28, iirc, I find it best in the beginning, though. I think it started following shounen twist pattern as it's nearing the ending).

Edit: Plus, Kekkaishi's cover series are good ones :D

message 4: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash | 74 comments Hardian wrote: "I liked Kekkaishi. I liked how Tanabe Yellow sensei developed the concept of a mere barrier box into many interesting possibilities.

I also liked the way the main female lead to have a strong char..."

Hardian wrote: "I liked Kekkaishi. I liked how Tanabe Yellow sensei developed the concept of a mere barrier box into many interesting possibilities.

I also liked the way the main female lead to have a strong char..."

Kekkaishi is one of my favorites by far. I love the way the female characters are on equal par w/the male characters as well. This is one of the mangas that, when I finished reading it, I was so ssad it was over & looked for more information on it EVERYWHERE! I don't think anything about this manga dissapointed me.

message 5: by Summer (new)

Summer (wildskf) I wasn't here when we did the group discussion nor have I read the manga, but we just featured Kekkaishi as our anime club watch this past month. I was surprised because I thought I was picking something very action-packed and typical 'shounen' but there was an element of maturity to the anime and how it's more about growing-up and family in supernatural circumstances... reminded me of a lot of Hayao Miyazaki's movies.

To those of you who have read the manga and watched the anime, I'm curious - done this same level of maturity bend over into the manga.

Definitely not your typical shounen series.

message 6: by Amalina (new)

Amalina | 1 comments i love the storyline and it seems well constructed. the important bits and flashback are well timed and inserted properly rather than being narrated.

i also agree about the maturity of the series. it helps when the character doesnt excessively shouts the name of their every moves :)

in the end, most of the questions are answered and I'm quite satisfied with it but not very happy about it either. but maybe thats just me being obsessive and angry because the series ends.