Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Off Topic (not cookbooks) Chat > Vegan ice cream

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments Hullo
Does anyone have any suggestions for awesome vegan ice creams, the summer is hot here, and my family get to indulge in their own home made dairy ice cream, and I just get to watch.....or eat the very processed So Good icecream - which is loaded with all sorts of artificial flavourings, colourings....etc...
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Jaq

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi, Jaq.

On our vegan baking-desserts shelf (https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...) we have 5 books that are vegan ice cream cookbooks.

Also, if you do a google search, lots will come up:

https://www.google.ca/search?as_q=veg...

I hope this tides you over until some of our group members can share any personal experiences they've had with homemade vegan ice creams.

message 3: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
My daughter's favourite ice cream (so far) is the So Delicious Mint Marble Fudge flavour. http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/produ...

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I like that too, Lee. I like the So Delicious soy based mocha fudge and Neapolitan even more.

message 5: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I haven't tried the Neapolitan yet although I almost put it in the grocery cart last week. I'll definitely have to give it a try now!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Let me know what you and M., and Y. think.

Sometimes there's not enough chocolate. The three flavors aren't evenly distributed. But It's really good! The chocolate in it tastes better than their plain chocolate, for some unknown reason.

message 7: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments Ah I wish I was in America where there is more flavours to choose from - here in Australia you can have vanilla soy ice cream, or chocolate. Not much help when I'm thinking oh a rum and raisin icecream would be splendid....

Thanks for the hint, I'm sure I can find something to make now!

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jaq. Years ago when I couldn't find coffee, I put coffee in my vanilla, mixed, refroze and ate.

You could put a bit of rum and some raisins in your vanilla! Or other things.

message 9: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments There is one that I love. It is coffee with chocolate swirls. I think it is the
So Delicious mocha fudge.

message 10: by Lisa (last edited Feb 03, 2014 12:05PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Nettie wrote: "There is one that I love. It is coffee with chocolate swirls. I think it is the
So Delicious mocha fudge."

That's the one, Nettie.

I hate coconut and am dismayed at how many of the vegan soy (my favorite), almond/nut, and rice milk ice creams are going coconut. I haven't really had any vegan ice creams since autumn.

There are ways to make ice cream like healthy foods. Freeze fruit/fruit juice with some cocoa powder for instance.

ETA: The one Nettie likes and the soy Neapolitan are my 2 favorite ice creams that I've found in stores. Those and Trader Joe's cherry chocolate chunk. We have ice cream parlors here that have vegan flavors, and in order to not eat too much of the stuff, I'm more likely to get a scoop at those places.

message 11: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments I have never tried the neopolitan. I also don't like coconut.

I bought the Yonanas machine last summer. You put frozen bananas through it and it makes soft serve. I love it. You can use other friuit too and or add cocoa and flavorings.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Nettie, That sounds wonderful. I'd love some banana chocolate soft serve!!! I've never heard of that Yonanas machine.

message 13: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments I have used it for plain banana which is delicious and also banana/ strawberry and banana/ blueberry. It comes with a recipe book that has all kinds of interesting recipes. You can add peanut butter, chocolate, pistachios and any kind of fruit. You can add frozen pumpkin cubes,etc. but plain old banana is good by itself. You use over ripe brown spotted bananas. They are sweeter.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Nettie! What a nifty gadget! Perfect for children & families, and anyone who enjoys soft serve. Vegan or not!

message 15: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments Lisa wrote: "Jaq. Years ago when I couldn't find coffee, I put coffee in my vanilla, mixed, refroze and ate.

You could put a bit of rum and some raisins in your vanilla! Or other things."

I'll give this a whack, though I think I might have convinced my dear partner to experiment with a vegan style rum and raisin.......I've put the challenge out to him....

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jaq, Please let us know how it goes!

message 17: by Tamasin (new)

Tamasin Noyes | 19 comments Breaking news is that Plant (vegan restaurant in Asheville, NC) will be selling their amazing ice cream in stores across the US! It will be sold under the Amy's brand. I've loved it when visiting, so can't wait to try it at home.

message 18: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments Will do and thanks for the assistance!!!

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Tamasin, I'll look out for that ice cream. Do you know what kind of plant milk they use?

message 20: by Tamasin (new)

Tamasin Noyes | 19 comments no, sorry.... I don't.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Tamasin wrote: "no, sorry.... I don't."

I just looked it up.

http://www.amys.com/images/uploads/fi...

Coconut milk. :-( Not for me.

message 22: by Tamasin (new)

Tamasin Noyes | 19 comments Ah, ok. thanks!

message 23: by jenny (new)

jenny  | 13 comments If you have a food processor you can make your own ice cream. Here's a good recipe:

http://www.munchinwithmunchkin.com/20...

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lumpy wrote: "If you have a food processor you can make your own ice cream. Here's a good recipe:

http://www.munchinwithmunchkin.com/20..."

Lumpy, Now that looks decadent! And very interesting. I'd definitely want to use the cocoa powder to have chocolate in the flavor.

message 25: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments Can I ask what is a butter extract?

Otherwise I'm bookmarking this site for future reference....thank you!!!

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo | 20 comments I can only get Swedish Glace over here in England which is soy based. It's actually really nice but I try not to have too much soy. I tried frozen banana soft serve once and it broke a piece of my crapper blender. I'm tempted to get an ice cream maker and try and make my own as I loooove ice cream. I've seen a book on vegan ice cream.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jo, We actually have 5 books on our group bookshelf that are solely dedication to vegan ice creams. There may be even more books out there.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jac, I googled butter extract. Apparently it's not called that anymore because of having no butter in it. It's apparently vegan but full of not so great ingredients. And I'm not sure it's necessary to get good flavor out of the desserts that have it. Vanilla or other extracts??? Or butter (whatever they're calling it now) extract if you're trying to exactly replicate a recipe that has it.

message 29: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments Thanks Lisa - I was puzzled over it - as I'd never heard....

What my dear partner did make, and it turned out wonderfully yummy was this recipe for Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream.....even my young son ate it, and he's usually suspicious about anything that isn't "real" ice cream....

http://domesticfits.com/2012/08/08/ch...

I loved that it's also not full of all the rather dubious ingredients that the Soy Ice Cream has.....at least I know what's gone into it....

Plus my partner said he was going to make it again, because it was so easy, and much easier than the other dairy ice creams he's made - which involve long intricate custard making stages.....

message 30: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments So thanks ever so much for all the help!!!!

message 31: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

The frozen bananas (with additions) also works in a vitamix blender if any of you have that. We regularly make soft "ice cream" with banana and cocoa, banana with raspberries and or blueberries as Nettie mentions above. It's really delicious.

message 32: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments oooh now do the bananas (when I go to freeze them) need to be very ripe, or just ripe????

Thanks ever so much for this hint....

message 33: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I don't think it matters too much how ripe they are. I've frozen just ripe to very ripe bananas and it all works out just fine. ;-)

message 34: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments Woo hoo - thank you - I've got some just ripe bananas that are now going into the freezer tonight....

message 35: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Can't wait to hear if you like it!

message 36: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments Now how long do I need to keep them in there for? (The freezer I mean....)

message 37: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Just until they're frozen. :-)

message 38: by Jenny (new)

Jenny D (JennyD2) | 2 comments The best vegan ice cream I've ever had is Luna and Larry's Coconut Bliss Cappuccino. It has 5 ingredients and is so freaking good: Organic Coconut Milk, Organic Agave Syrup, Organic Fair Trade Vanilla Extract, Organic Fair Trade Coffee, and Organic Ground Fair Trade Coffee Beans.

They're based out of Oregon in the US and I'm not sure what their distribution is but if you can try it, do it. I've had some of their other flavors too, and they're really good too, but the Cappuccino is amazing.

Also, I have this book and have done a number of recipes out of it with good results, if you wanted to make your own.
Vice Cream: Over 70 Sinfully Delicious Dairy-Free Delights

message 39: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments I loved Vice Cream - got it out of the library and have been searching to buy it from the local book stores....it's full of decadent flavoured desserts.

You are so lucky to be in the US - where there are options for the vegan dessert lover....sigh....

message 40: by Jo (new)

Jo | 20 comments I had Booja Booja chocolate ice cream recently from Ocado. it's cashew based and tastes amazing.

message 41: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 20 comments Now cashews would work,......I tried a Coconut based yoghurt here in Australia - while the taste was lovely, it just didn't hit the spot like coconut ice cream.....

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (passionate_vegan) | 18 comments Lisa wrote: "I like that too, Lee. I like the So Delicious soy based mocha fudge and Neapolitan even more."

Ohhh yes! That fudge ice cream is super tasty. I love it too.