Black Coffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly book nominations > April Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
The theme is Historical Romance.

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee | 708 comments Destiny's Embrace by Beverly Jenkins

message 3: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments This is new genre for me. Looking forward to what everyone comes up with.

message 5: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments I am going to nominate The Pirate's Daughter. It is listed as a romance as well as historical fiction.

From goodreads
In 1946, a storm-wrecked boat carrying Hollywood’s most famous swashbuckler shored up on the coast of Jamaica, and the glamorous world of 1940’s Hollywood converged with that of a small West Indian society. After a long and storied career on the silver screen, Errol Flynn spent much of the last years of his life on a small island off of Jamaica, throwing parties and sleeping with increasingly younger teenaged girls. Based on those years, The Pirate’s Daughter is the story of Ida, a local girl who has an affair with Flynn that produces a daughter, May, who meets her father but once.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Londa wrote: "I am going to nominate The Pirate's Daughter. It is listed as a romance as well as historical fiction.

From goodreads
In 1946, a storm-wrecked boat carrying Hollywood’s most famou..."

Londa -

Not sure what you were aiming for when selecting "historical romance" as the topic for April.

I thought you meant the traditional definition of historical romance.

"Romance" genre is a specific type of novel. Basically the book's primarily focus on the relationship and romantic love between two people, usually their is a "conflict" between the hero and heroine, and must have an emotionally satisfying ending known as HEA (happily ever after). There are many categories of romance - one being historical romance.

I have read and enjoyed The Pirate's Daughter. But would not consider this historical fiction as the center of the story is not about romantic love (or anything close to it). It is much more a coming of age story (for both the mother & daughter) that parallels the changes going on in Jamaica.

message 7: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments I really wasn't sure just how much romance was in that novel. A handful of people shelved it that way on goodreads, and I thought there might be more 'love' in it.

Thanks for responding Beverly. I was hoping someone would have read it, and would know for sure.

Since romance is not a major theme of the book, I withdraw it from nomination.

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Londa wrote: "I really wasn't sure just how much romance was in that novel. A handful of people shelved it that way on goodreads, and I thought there might be more 'love' in it.

Thanks for responding Beverly. ..."

Londa -

Yes, I saw where several people did shelf it under romance. I am sure I have tagged a couple of books a certain way that makes sense to me for whatever reason so I did not think much of their tagging it that way.

The skinny is while historical romances are very popular and there are many historical romance books being published each month - very few are black historical romances. Just like overall to the number of romance books being published each month - black romances are a small percentage. That is changing now with self-publishing as there are more black romances being published digitally.

Also before ebooks - romance books had a very short shelf life - publishers would publish a certain number (and usually did not do reprints after the 1st run) so if you did not get a romance book when first published often if you looked for it a couple of years later it was not available unless your library had it.

So there are a number of black historical romance authors whose books are no longer in print - Patricia Vaughn, Mildred Riley, Anita Richmond Bunkley. Some of the book are being re-published as ebooks.

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Another one:

Emily, The Yellow Rose by Anita Bunkley

THE LEGEND THAT INSPIRED A FOLK SONG.
From the shores of Galveston Bay to the plains of San Jacinto, Emily, The Yellow Rose sweeps readers into a mezmerizing tale of Texas history and Afro-American folklore that has long been cherished by millions.
Set during the mid-1830's, this is the saga of a serving girl who lived and loved amidst the turmoil of the Texas Revolution. Little is known of the beautiful mulatto, Emily D. West and her mysterious lover, but their story lives on in the romantic ballad,

message 10: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2423 comments Mod
Beverly wrote: "Another one:

Emily, The Yellow Rose by Anita Bunkley

THE LEGEND THAT INSPIRED A FOLK SONG.
From the shores of Galveston Bay to the plains of San Jacinto, Emily, The..."

I've done a little research on this topic! I've gotta add this to my TBR!!

message 11: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
Sally Hemings by Barbara Chase-Riboud Sally Hemings by Barbara Chase-Riboud is the slave story about a slaver and his slave having a relationship where they fall in love. It breaks the common slave/master rape relationship. It sounds interesting.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.