Classics Without All the Class discussion

Tess of the D'Urbervilles
This topic is about Tess of the D'Urbervilles
February 2014 - Tess > Angel vs. Alec

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lindsey Buis | 77 comments *** Spoiler Alert***
Compare and Contrast Alec D'Uberville and Angel Clare. It appears that Alec is of evil nature while Angel is of a good nature, but is it more complicated than this? What are some of Angel's faults? What are some of Alec's good characteristics?

message 2: by Yun (last edited Oct 17, 2015 10:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yun Yi | 7 comments The both are humans so a person as good as Angel can do cruel things like dumping Tess to a miserable situation, and a person as bad as Alex can do some good things such as waking up from his previous sinful state, and do something good as trying to help Tess' dire situation.

(I have not finished the book but I watched movie so I know the basics of the ending.However, I need to finished the last 15% to get more complete view about Alex)

message 3: by Yun (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yun Yi | 7 comments just finished the book and I must change my opinion about Alex. He might have intention to do good for Tess, but the way he approaches to her is not right. His ultimate intention was to possess Tess, not to help her. O what an end!

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Angel's fault was leaving Tess; he was "blind" at that point.

Alec might have had good characteristics, but he didn't show them around Tess; he was controlling, cruel, hard and cunning. He tried to "help" Tess because he wanted her to fall back under his power again and wanted to have her depending on him. He wanted her to be his, and he wanted her to need him.

Robin I just finished the book and I didn't know it would be this depressing! One bad thing after another happens to Tess, are all Hardy's novels this depressing?

I prefer Angel to Alec. Like Yun said, Alec tried to possess Tess. He was obsessed with her, I don't think he truly loved her. He tried to help her and her family but (in my opinion) only so Tess would belong to him, not out of a good nature.

Angel just ran when it became complicated and although I think he didn't blame her for what happened, he should have stuck around. When he came back it was too late.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Robin wrote: "I just finished the book and I didn't know it would be this depressing! One bad thing after another happens to Tess, are all Hardy's novels this depressing?

I prefer Angel to Alec. Like Yun said, ..."

Totally agree :D