Read by Theme discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading > February 2014: Give a Book a Second Chance

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 82 comments The poll for February's theme has ended, and the winner is "Give a Book a Second Chance"!

Again, this is one that can be interpreted a couple ways. Did you read the book completely and not like it? Did you read 10 pages of it and not like it? Whatever the case is, try going back and giving it another chance.

Remember that once you've finished your book(s) for the month, you're always welcome to start a discussion topic in the month's folder (which works best if there are others in the group who have read or are currently reading the book in question) or post your thoughts (or just drop a link to your review!) in the thread below.

And don't forget to vote on the poll for March's theme. The poll for April's theme opened today, so go ahead and check that out.

Happy reading!!!

message 2: by Jasmiina (new)

Jasmiina F (slipperbunny) I had actually just two books that I could read for this month's themes but there's no way in hell that I'm going to try to read Moby Dick again... At least, not now. So I decided to read Dragonflight from Anne McCaffrey. I'm not sure why, but when I was about 14 I tried to read this (in Finnish) and just didn't finish and it has always bothered me. So I'm going to give it another chance!

message 3: by Claire-Jane (new)

Claire-Jane I'm going to be a total Theme Rebel this month - I'm a stubborn so & so when it comes to finishing books so it has to a real stinker for me not to finish . . . Life is to short to revisit that which did not engage me the first time round . . . See y'all next month !

message 4: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 69 comments I'll also be a theme rebel. I'm in grad school and I don't have time to give books second chances.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm going to give this book a second try, I started it before and just couldn't get into it before
Until We Die by Stephen R. Isaac

message 6: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (euphemy) | 27 comments I am going to attempt An Idiot Abroad by Karl Pilkington once again and Memoirs of the Court of Marie Antoinette, Queen of France, Volume 4 Being the Historic Memoirs of Madam Campan, First Lady in Waiting to the Queen by Jeanne-Louise-Henriette Campan .

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Weather (saraweather) Claire-Jane wrote: "I'm going to be a total Theme Rebel this month - I'm a stubborn so & so when it comes to finishing books so it has to a real stinker for me not to finish . . . Life is to short to revisit that whic..."

ditto.

message 8: by Sarah. B (new)

Sarah. B I am going to try to read The Fog by James Herbert again. Not sure why but I just couldnt get into it last time

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne | 68 comments Black Mischief by Evelyn Waugh I'm reading Black Mischief by Evelyn Waugh. started some years ago but not really my type of book, but reading it anyway!

message 10: by Lorna (new)

Lorna I'm doing a bit of a twist on this month's theme since I tend to finish all the books I start, even the ones I don't particularly like. For the month of February our city library has wrapped up books with 3 descriptors on the front & challenged us to choose our "mystery date" from those descriptors. I wound up with "My Name is Memory". I don't think it would have been my first choice for my next read so it's kind of like a second chance.

message 11: by Jasmiina (new)

Jasmiina F (slipperbunny) I finished reading Dragonflight (Pern Dragonriders of Pern, #1) by Anne McCaffrey from Anne McCaffrey. I think I understand now why I didn't finish this book when I was younger... It took some time for me to get in to the story and even in the end there were very few characters that I actually liked. I may want to read the next part too because I love the dragons and they're well written. I just can't stand how sexist the male characters are...

message 12: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla I gave a second chance to Pines (Wayward Pines #1) by Blake Crouch . I quit listening to it the first time after the atmosphere became unbearable. After introducing the sci-fi element, it became a little more consistent, but now it's all back to violence and gore. I'm not sure if waiting for the resolve of the plot is worth it...

message 13: by Dana (new)

Dana Crouch (Callaway) (bookknurd) | 101 comments The only book I can think of to give a second chance to is The Catcher in the Rye, but I'm not sure it deserves it. :/

message 14: by Sarah. B (new)

Sarah. B I wasnt too keen on The Catcher in the Rye either. Anyway, this month I`m going to try and give a second chance to The Fog. I tried to read it when I was a teenager because I`d heard good things about it, but couldnt get past the first few chapters.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 35 comments Catcher was the book that got me to love books. Please give it a second chance. I am going to read Homage to Catlona. When I first tried reading it I think I was too young. And since then I have visited Spain so I am a bit more intrigued by the history.

message 16: by Felicia (last edited Feb 20, 2014 12:35PM) (new)

Felicia (flux336) | 41 comments I forgot to post my selection! I just finished Wide Sargasso Sea Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys by Jean Rhys. I read it in college as part of my Women in Literature course as a follow-up to Jane Eyre, which I just re-read recently as well. I must say I enjoyed it so much better this time around.

message 17: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 21 comments I've been reading Heart-Shaped Boxby Joe Hill. I started it quite some time ago, but put it down for some reason. I'm almost done with it now, and have really been enjoying it.

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara | 57 comments I am going to read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" which I started few years ago, and for some reason didn't have the patient with all the details of the garden described in the first few chapter.
I am going to listen to the audio version, so hopefully it helps me get past through the first set up environment chapters.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I didn't get to the book that I had picked out for this month's read. I just kept putting it off, I must really not want to reread it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.