2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2014 > Jackie's 2014 Book Corner

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 48 comments Just downloaded the new book The Rosie Project and am looking forward to getting started!

message 2: by Jackie (last edited Jul 16, 2014 02:28PM) (new)

Jackie | 48 comments Ok, I think I've decided on an alphabet challenge for the year. That would mean so far I have M and R covered.
A--Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery; The Alchemist by Paulo Coeltho
B--The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberol
C--The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson
D--Divergent by Veronica Roth; The Devil Wears Prada by Laura Weisberger
E--Every Witch Way But Wicked by Amanda M. Lee
F--The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
G--Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
H--
I--
J--
K--
L--Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde
M--Middlemarch by George Eliot
N--Night Sessions by Ken MacLeod
O--The Old Man and the Sea by Earnest Hemmingway
P--The Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecilia Galante; The Purrfect Murder by Rita Mae Brown
Q--
R--The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
S--Secret Confessions of the Applewood PTA by Ellen Meister
T--Time and Again by Jack Finney
U--Unwind by Neal Shusterman
V--The Victoria Vanishes by Christopher Fowler
W--The Wedding Cake Tree by Melanie Hudson, Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
X--
Y--
Z--

message 3: by Jackie (last edited Apr 18, 2014 03:29PM) (new)

Jackie | 48 comments Now participating in a mini challenge!

1. Read a book set in a place that currently uses daylight savings time. The Victoria Vanishes by Christopher Fowler. setting: Great Britain

FINISHED!

2. Read a book set in a place that does not currently use daylight savings time. The Alchemist by Paulo Coeltho. Setting: Egypt

FINISHED!!!!

3. Daylight savings time was first implemented in 1916. Read a book that takes place before 1916.

Just finished Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

4. Daylight savings time was first proposed by a man named George Veronon Hudson. Read a book by an author who shares an initial with George Vernon Hudson.

Finished The Wedding Cake Tree by Melanie Hudson. I thought I'd match the whole last name instead of just one letter. :)

message 4: by Jackie (last edited May 25, 2014 02:37PM) (new)

Jackie | 48 comments New Super-mini Challenge accepted:

Read a book written in the year you were born: Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls, pub: 1961 DONE!

Read a book written by an author with your same birthday: Well, read by someone with my same birthday. Lisa Kudrow, July 30th :) DONE!

message 5: by Jackie (last edited Jun 18, 2014 02:50PM) (new)

Jackie | 48 comments Since this year I'll be teaching 3rd grade reading, I'd like to keep track of the books I read with students that participate in a novel study. These will be separate from my alphabet challenge since they will be faster reads and school related. I think I'll create a new shelf in my online library to keep track.

message 6: by Jackie (last edited Aug 11, 2014 05:49PM) (new)

Jackie | 48 comments Another challenge for the 3rd quarter!

THIRD QUARTER CHALLENGE: HUNGER GAMES
Duration: July 1 - September 30, 2014

5/14

May the odds be ever in your favor.

The Capitol: The capitol is filled with beautiful extravagant people. Read a book with “beauty” in the title OR read a book where the main character is said to be extraordinarily beautiful.

District 1: District 1 produces luxury items. Read a book about people who are rich OR read a book where a piece of jewelry plays an important role.

District 2: District 2 produces weapons and trains peacekeepers. Read a book about a war OR read a book with a cop as one of the characters.

District 3: District 3 makes electronics. Read a book about a technologically advanced society OR read a book with a computer (or robot) as a main character. NIGHT SESSIONS by Ken MacLeod

District 4: District 4 is a fishing district. Read a book about a fisherman OR read a book that at least partially takes place on a boat. THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA by Earnest Hemmingway

District 5: District 5 is the source of electrical power. Read a book that features a lightning storm OR read a book that is set in a place without electricity. TIME AND AGAIN by Jack Finney

District 6: District 6 is the hub of transportation. Read a book written by an author from a different country OR read a book that takes place in a real location you could visit.

District 7: District 7 produces lumber and paper. Read a book that takes place in a forest OR read a physical book made out of paper (as opposed to an ebook).

District 8: District 8 makes textiles. Read a book about fashion OR read with an item of clothing on its cover. THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA by Lauren Weisberger

District 9: District 9 produces grain and has no characters named in the books. Read a book with an unnamed main character OR read a book with a character who is a vegetarian. FIGHT CLUB by Chuck Palahniuk

District 10: District 10 specialized in raising livestock. Read a book that has a domestic animal as a character OR read a book that has an animal in the title. THE PURRFECT MURDER by Rita Mae Brown

District 11: District 11 is an agricultural district and Rue, a young herbalist, originated here. Read a book where a young person dies OR read a book where an herbalist saves someone from dying.

District 12: District 12 is the mining district, and Katniss and Peeta, its tributes, wear clothes that catch fire. Read a book that has a fire that is helpful in it OR read a book that has the word “coal” somewhere in it (add a quote of the sentence where you found the word).

District 13: District 13 is a rebellious district that specialized in nuclear technology. Read a book centered around a nuclear disaster OR read a book where the main character is rebellious. LOST IN A GOOD BOOK by Jasper Fforde