Classics Without All the Class discussion

Tess of the D'Urbervilles
This topic is about Tess of the D'Urbervilles
February 2014 - Tess > Phase the Fifth: The Woman Pays

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lindsey Buis | 77 comments Discussion for Chapters 35-44

message 2: by Kaycie (last edited Feb 06, 2014 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaycie | 13 comments Gah!! ugh!!! This section is driving me nuts!!

As per Tess, you either tell him before or you don't tell him! She just seems to make the worst possible decisions and I just don't know what to make of her! If you want to tell him that badly and think you couldn't live without telling, then tell him before you are married!

And Angel, just...wow. I am feeling like a very angry female right now after reading his reaction. So much in this book is so infuriating and heartbreaking, but the book is just so good. I love it when I love a book despite disliking most of the characters and the situations. Mark of a fantastic writer.

I am also wondering how I would have gotten on in this time. Would I still be able to feel the way I do now or would I feel as trapped and hopeless as Tess? I probably would not be as guilt-ridden as she is (I hope), so I do think I would have not told him if it got to the point where we were married. I guess herein lies the attraction of literature! We might never know, but its interesting to contemplate.

Lindsey Buis | 77 comments This part is frustrating for me as well, but I found myself being more mad at Angel. I think Tess was naive in thinking that Angel would forgive her and Angel, thinking himself so progressive, found out he wasn't so. I didn't have much issue about her telling Angel. I could see being embarrassed and ashamed to tell thus type of secret. She attempted it and her mom told her not to tell. Now it did frustrate me that Tess wasn't madder at Angel however I wonder if that's just my modern way of thinking peeking through?

Shanea | 358 comments I was never fond of this book, but it has been interesting to me the way it handles certain subjects, and the way society has not changed in some ways. It's sort of like a literary time capsule in a way, which uncomfortably doesn't hold that much change in some areas. While we nowhere near the severe sexism in society today, I can imagine some of the responses to particular events would be the same.
One of these instances is the double-standard of their secrets. It is fine for him to have had a relationship in the past, but not her. The way that Tess feels and is responded to about her sexual history by her spouse is upsetting and uncomfortable, whether you as a person consider what occurred rape or not.

message 5: by Lindsey (last edited Feb 12, 2014 06:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lindsey Buis | 77 comments The double standard does still exist I believe although a woman would not be "punished" as harshly today. It kinda reminds me of, and excuse my language, the term "slut shaming." You bring up a great point about the incident with Alec. If it indeed a rape it is read differently than if it is not. Most things I've read do call it a rape, but I believe it is open for interpretation. I think either way she was taken advantage of,

Shanea | 358 comments Lindsey wrote: "The double standard does still exist I believe although a woman would not be "punished" as harshly today. I kinda reminds me of, and excuse my language, the term "slut shaming." You bring up a grea..."

I wasn't even thinking about it as far as slut shaming, but you're right.
It's funny that you say that most things you say call it a rape, because I've noticed that most of the analyses/discussions/summaries I have read will use any synonym or idiom in their repertoire to beat around the bush and not use the r word.

Gita Reddy | 41 comments For me, the sequence up to Tess' arrest makes sense. She saw herself as sullied, not surprising given the times, and she blamed Alec for coercing her by using her family against her. She loved Alex passionately, and hated Alec with an equally strong passion, so she kills him. All this has its own emotional logic. I find it disturbing but I am convinced that is the way it could have happened and I accept it.

Because Tess has difficulty in accepting her own 'fall', she is glad when the soldiers come for her because 'she will not live for Angel to despise' her. I understand her fears. She has seen how severe Angel can be.

I also accept that Tess wants her sister to take her place. Perhaps she does this for both of them.

What I cannot accept is for Angel to go away hand in hand with Tess' sister, after her execution!

Lindsey Buis | 77 comments The scene is very interesting at Stonehenge. What did you think about her capture here and the setting? It was cool to me it being set there.

message 9: by Cosmic (last edited Mar 11, 2014 07:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cosmic Arcata | 8 comments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictionn...

This was mentioned in chapter 46, as one of angel's arguments.

http://www.enotes.com/topics/t-h-huxley

This link has to do with Huxley's Essays.

Some titles and works.http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_...

Not trying to make a case, just a foot note.