Nordic Noir discussion

Jørn Lier Horst
This topic is about Jørn Lier Horst
Author of the Month > February 2014 - Jørn Lier Horst

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments Our February Author of the Month is Jørn Lier Horst

Like seems to be the tradition with a lot of NN authors, only a few books in his series have been released in English - but hopefully we will see more in the future.

Dregs (William Wisting #6) by Jørn Lier Horst Closed for Winter (William Wisting Mystery) by Jørn Lier Horst

message 2: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Have read Dregs Dregs (William Wisting #6) by Jørn Lier Horst , it was not as gritty as many Nordic novels but I liked it and gave it 4 stars, Have to see if I can get hold of the other one.

message 3: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments I ordered Dregs - my library didn't have, neither did any of the others in the state - so after I read it, my co-moderator in crime (naomi) is going to borrow it, and then i'm going to donate to the library

message 4: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Dregs just had so many iffy reviews on Amazon. I am happy to see you liked it though Diane. You and I tend to rate similarly on most books.

message 5: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ For sure Naomi, I seem to remember this being more psychologically twisty than downright gritty. The bummer of this is that this is actually the 6th book published in the series but the first book published in the states. So goofy how they do that. So I am sure much is missing from the background of the main character.

message 6: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments I did see that book 8 is going to be released in english in August...

the author is a GR author - maybe asking him if there is any plan on earlier books

message 7: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Diane S. wrote: "For sure Naomi, I seem to remember this being more psychologically twisty than downright gritty. The bummer of this is that this is actually the 6th book published in the series but the first book ..."

My pet peeve! I don't mind the psychological stuff though...sometimes a good screwin' with the mind comes over well!

I think I sent a friend request to this author Dee letting him know that he was being selected for author of the month. However, I can't remember now. It was right after we did the list.

message 8: by Helen (new)

Helen | 55 comments I have just finished Closed for Winter
I enjoyed it and have Dregs lined up. An interesting fact about his books is that he provides social commentary, present day. I was enlightened about the European Union and its effects on our northern neighbours. I also liked the main character, a mature widow who does not have relationship, alcohol family problems. He was able to capture the bleak countryside. It provided little side shows in my mind. I will certainly be following his progress. How does Dregs compared to Closed for winter does anyone know? When will his next books be published?

message 9: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments Helen - it looks like (per Amazon) - there is one due out in August