Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's 2014 January

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Feb 01, 2014 03:55PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments First off thank you to everyone who has participated in the discussion threads on The Goldfinch! I thoroughly have enjoyed reading all of the opinions and the comments. We are such a fun group, and I love getting to know a little bit more about us and myself as we discuss a good meaty book!

My January list was almost just The Goldfinch. I started it on New Years Day and with listening to the audio being my main vehicle, it took me 23 days to finish this big fat book! I managed to sneak in Horns which I had previously started and the fast reading
Divergent to round out my month with The Goldfinch.

Roth, Veronica Divergent finished 1/18/2014 Kindle Rank 9.25 of 10 A compelling story line that grabbed me up quickly. The setting is stark, and yet in some ways almost "normal"; human emotions are strained but intact, at least for some, and all are present, greed, avarice, kindness, selflessness. I look forward to reading Insurgent

Tartt, Donna The Goldfinch finished 1/23/2014 Audio (and Kindle) Rank 9.5 of 10 This was a perfect audio book, exotic accents, intricately descriptive characters and places and introspection from the point of view of a thirteen year old boy who feels everything, feels deeply and while confounding to this reader over and over; Theo is alluring in his mix of naivete and sophisticated thought. I was constantly analyzing my own reactions against his, wondering how he came to do the things he did, how he could manage the things he did and heartrendingly wondering when it would all come to a head.

Hill, Joe Horns finished 1/31/2014 Rank 9.5 of 10 Audio with a slightly annoying narrator voice. There is a lot of subtle depth to this book, searingly sharp moments where you catch your breath and think, "no, not that, don't do that", moments where you are transported back to childhood fantasies of magic and a feeling of invincibility, and moments of religious philosophical reflection. One can't leave that part out when the main character grows horns, real horns that have adult magical powers, hurtful powers. I found myself alternately wishing better for Ig and his friends, and then disliking all of them with extreme prejudice. Our innermost secrets, evil thoughts and deeds are best kept inside our own heads, but Ig, well Ig has always been different, and the horns add to that with a vengeance. 
Joe Hill does his Dad proud. He weaves subtle messages in that surprise in the end without discernibly telling red herring clues except that something is not quite right with Ig's best friend so that a foretelling of something horribly awry builds as you read on in slightly disorienting flashbacks.
And in ways I won't delve into for fear of spoilers, Joe Hill reaches us with his musings on good and evil that bring to mind Anne Rice's Memnoch the Devil. Books that make me think throughout and afterwards rate the highest stars, Joe Hill makes me think. 

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments Does the narrator whisper when he is trying to be subtle?

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments his voice was increasingly squeaky!
Barry wrote: "Does the narrator whisper when he is trying to be subtle?"

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1201 comments Ann wrote: "his voice was increasingly squeaky!
Barry wrote: "Does the narrator whisper when he is trying to be subtle?""

Yikes that does not sound good. I had planned on listening to the audio but may look into actually reading it.

message 5: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Sounds like a very serious month.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Glad you liked DIVERGENT. Though I wasn't crazy about it, I liked both INSURGENT and ALLEGIANT.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Sandi: I guess it wasn't that bad, I just didn't love the character voices and one new one introduced later jarred me all over again after acceding to the tones of Ig's and the others voices. Perhaps I was expecting Daniel Radcliff (playing Ig in the movie that now appears to have no US release date...)
Sandi wrote:"Yikes that does not sound good. I had planned on listening to the audio ..." "Ann wrote: "his voice was increasingly squeaky! Barry wrote: "Does the narrator whisper when he is trying to be subtle?"

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Wow! High ratings for these books. You did have a good month Ann!

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Susie: I tend tho finish the books I really like, thus upping the ranking curve!
Susie in KS wrote: "Wow! High ratings for these books. You did have a good month Ann!"

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I enjoyed doing the goldfrinch with everyone too. I hope we can get to the roth book soon. maybe when I finish at least one of the books I currently have going. I listened to a sample of the joe hill audio book on overdrive and it sounded interesting. I know I have the ebook copy if I want to give it a try but you know me and scary. maybe will give it a try at the shore in the summer.