Struggling Writers discussion

Stuck on Your Writing? > How much is too much?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenzi (new)

Kenzi | 26 comments How many compliments can one person give another to where it seems more like admiration than seems creepy? What is the best way to show admiration with out it seeming... over the top? Is it verbal or what? Especially when it is two characters of the same gender?

message 2: by Tianna (new)

Tianna | 27 comments Haha is it men?

message 3: by Kenzi (new)

Kenzi | 26 comments Mmhmm and I don't want it to be creepy seeming XD

message 4: by Tianna (new)

Tianna | 27 comments What's the type of relationship (if you don't mind me asking). I imagine it would be different if it's a teen and father figure vs bro to bro.

message 5: by Kenzi (new)

Kenzi | 26 comments Well this is the same novel from my last thread. It is a teen and a guy that's almost 30.

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments KeNzI wrote: "Mmhmm and I don't want it to be creepy seeming XD"

How are their personalities/relationship with each other? Are they men who could complement each other like brothers or best friends or are they just general friends? Are they men who would take offense if another man ever complemented them?

I have a male friend, who is straight, and can complement some of his other male friends to a pretty elaborate degree without them taking it "the wrong way". I think it's because of the sort of relationship they have.

message 7: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Try a polite version of the 'dozens'.

"You know, for an underweight punk you handle yourself pretty well."

"No, you old geezer, I'm not skinny. It's called not having a beer belly."

message 8: by Tianna (last edited Feb 01, 2014 04:22PM) (new)

Tianna | 27 comments KeNzI wrote: "Well this is the same novel from my last thread. It is a teen and a guy that's almost 30."

Hmmm I see I see. In that case (depending on the characters) I imagine it would be somewhat secretive? If the story is told from the POV of the younger fellow, you can show admiration in the way he thinks about the other guy. When the man does something, you could show the teen trying to somewhat imitate it. Or perhaps if the teen is getting in trouble he thinks about what 'so and so' would say. Or maybe he's trying to impress the older man?

It all depends on your characters :)

message 9: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Age, relationship, mind set, cultural perspective can all affect how admiration is shown between generations.

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments KeNzI wrote: "Well this is the same novel from my last thread. It is a teen and a guy that's almost 30."

Sorry, just saw that, well then....I think I have to agree with Tianna's last post.

message 11: by Kenzi (new)

Kenzi | 26 comments Tianna wrote: "KeNzI wrote: "Well this is the same novel from my last thread. It is a teen and a guy that's almost 30."

Hmmm I see I see. In that case (depending on the characters) I imagine it would be somewhat..."

Thanks thus is super helpful. I didn't ever ask many questions while writing but you all are so helpful I just keep coming back

message 12: by Kenzi (new)

Kenzi | 26 comments R.F.G. wrote: "Try a polite version of the 'dozens'.

"You know, for an underweight punk you handle yourself pretty well."

"No, you old geezer, I'm not skinny. It's called not having a beer belly.""

Awesome advice!

message 13: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments I've observed enough inter-generational inter-cultural exchanges where no familial relationship exists, where the guys cracked me up.

It's like watching two males of a species in a territorial display.

message 14: by Kenzi (new)

Kenzi | 26 comments This is the piece of the story I was working on.

He doesn't mean litteraly overtake the world. He isn't a mad scientist. He means you can be on top. No matter how low you start. You can crawl up from the depths and eventually after enough you can stand in the light of the gold. You can either earn the gold, through a slow process. Learning getting oppurtunities can take lifetimes. More than the single one you get. So that's when you need to take opportunities and steal the knowledge someone else already obtained to cut your hunt short. To have it all before one lifetime is over. "I understand...can I ask you a question?" "You can but I might not answer you" "Do you think I have what it takes. To reach the top. To be the best at something. To obtain whatever I might want to claim?" "Of course you do. You are me except you are equipped with oppurtunites. You have money and you have me to tell you where you need to be. Your only problem is a lack of priority. " "What is that supposed to mean?" "You put other people before yourself Gavin. That has always been the problem. Maybe not when it comes to who gets the last piece of cake. But when it gets down to buisness and the serious stuff you let other people get in the way of who you are supposed to be." I don't believe a word of what he is saying but I nod. I dont trust him but I go along. "Sometimes you shouldn't place any person at the top of your list either. You also place yourself where a goal for perfection should be. It doesn't matter how you feel. It matters what you achieve. " I just stand there wondering what exactly he thinks perfection is? "Don't get all moody on me now! Shoot that gun and smile about it. I don't like you when you are miserable. Naive and eager are much better" he says and I laugh.

Lemme know what you all think

message 15: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Hodges KeNzI wrote: "This is the piece of the story I was working on.

He doesn't mean litteraly overtake the world. He isn't a mad scientist. He means you can be on top. No matter how low you start. You can crawl u..."

For what it's worth, and hopefully within the context of what you are asking, here is my take. I don't see this section as one character being too complimentary of the other. He's being supportive and expressing what he sees as the potential within Gavin.
And persons, 30-somethings and beyond, generally, are more comfortable with who they are and less inclined to concern themselves with giving compliments for fear that said compliments may come across as being 'too much'.
If you were looking for general feedback, sorry (though I can give that too ;-) ).

message 16: by Kenzi (new)

Kenzi | 26 comments D.L. wrote: "KeNzI wrote: "This is the piece of the story I was working on.

He doesn't mean litteraly overtake the world. He isn't a mad scientist. He means you can be on top. No matter how low you start. Y..."

Thanks! That is really helpful. Exactly what I was looking for