Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Daisy Dalrymple (Death at Wentwater Court) - Carola Dunn

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I'm up to date with this series, and it's one of my favourites. I think it's really stood up well over all 20+ books.

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb | 725 comments I'm up to book #14, I think, but haven't read anything from this series for a long time, even though I've really enjoyed them all. I need to try to work this series back into my reading list!

message 4: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2764 comments Mod
I read Damsel in Distress and Dead in the Water last month. Enjoyed them both. Currently reading Styx and Stones.

message 5: by Judith (new)

Judith | 20 comments I have enjoyed all of the Daisy books and will keep reading them as long as Carola Dunn keeps writing them. I agree it has "stood up well" over the entire series.

message 6: by Kay Webb (new)

Kay Webb Harrison (kaywebbharrison) | 12 comments My first Daisy book was Mourning Wedding. After reading that one, I glommed all of her backlist that I could find. I have Gone West and Heirs of the Body to look forward to.

One thing that I found interesting about Dunn's endings is that in several cases, the mystery is solved, but the culprit escapes--and not by dying.

Kay

message 7: by Judith (new)

Judith | 20 comments I guess that's part of what makes it a "cozy" mystery.

message 8: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 121 comments Could not find this book at the library and won't be able to read this book, but it sounds like it's a good book to read.

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) Listening to the audio version of the first Daisy book - really enjoying it so far! Almost makes me wish my commute to work was a little longer :)

message 10: by Nell (last edited Feb 10, 2014 02:14PM) (new)

Nell | 2764 comments Mod
Reading Rattle His Bones - this one is set in a museum with a whole new cast of characters/suspects. I really like the recurring characters in this series especially Tom Tring and Ernie Piper.
Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8) by Carola Dunn

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Sharon wrote: "Listening to the audio version of the first Daisy book - really enjoying it so far! Almost makes me wish my commute to work was a little longer :)"

Are you liking the narrator?

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) Jennifer - I do! She's very good.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Sharon wrote: "Jennifer - I do! She's very good."

Thanks! I'll have to check out the audio versions - I'm always on the look out for good "car reads".. :)

message 14: by Barb (new)

Barb | 725 comments Nell wrote: "I really like the recurring characters in this series especially Tom Tring and Ernie Piper"

Tom is one of my favorite book characters :)

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) ❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Jennifer - I do! She's very good."

Thanks! I'll have to check out the audio versions - I'm always on the look out for good "car reads".. :)"

Its not a cozy, but I would definitely recommend Where'd You Go, Bernadette as a car read. I loved it!

message 16: by Jaxie (new)

Jaxie (jax53) | 76 comments Just finished reading this book! I think it was amazing. I have read before a couple of the Royal Spyness series but i have always been fascinated by british authors and british culture in general. I think this is a series that i definitively want to follow up and get caught up with. Thank you for featuring it in Februay. It sort of forced me to read it and I was pretty glad i did. I love the character of Daisy Dalrymple. The story get a little gloomy as it neared its end. I didnt guess the guilty party in this one.

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary Ann | 10 comments I liked the book but i dont think ill read the rest of the series. I dod really like how the daisy was portrayed. Very strong woman especially for that time period.

message 18: by Lori Ann (new)

Lori Ann | 7 comments I'm up to Dead in the Water #6 in the series. It has been sitting on my kindle for a few months now, but after reading this thread I think I'll start getting into the series again!

message 19: by Nell (last edited Feb 21, 2014 01:18PM) (new)

Nell | 2764 comments Mod
Just finished To Davy Jones Below - very good read with a nice twist in the ending.

To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9) by Carola Dunn

message 20: by Nell (last edited Feb 22, 2014 08:54AM) (new)

Nell | 2764 comments Mod
Finished The Case of the Murdered Muckraker. The Fletchers are visiting America and Daisy is trying to understand 'American' language. While Alec is consulting with the FBI in DC, Daisy's witnesses a murder in NYC. References to Tammany Hall and lots of period detail. This one includes a cross country chase by aeroplane. It's a delightful tale.

The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10) by Carola Dunn

message 21: by Nell (last edited Feb 25, 2014 03:34AM) (new)

Nell | 2764 comments Mod
Sailing along through this series. Finished Mistletoe and Murder this morning. Daisy and Alec are back in England so this entry includes Daisy's nephew and stepdaughter along with her mother, the Dowager Viscountess. Plus Tring and Piper arrive to help with the investigation. Classic cozy: isolated location + family of suspects = really good read.
Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11) by Carola Dunn

message 22: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2764 comments Mod
I finished Die Laughing a couple of days ago and loved it. Now reading A Mourning Wedding.

Die Laughing (Daisy Dalrymple, #12) by Carola Dunn A Mourning Wedding (Daisy Dalrymple, #13) by Carola Dunn