The Secret Library discussion

Reading List > Market Forces by Richard K. Morgan

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (last edited Feb 18, 2008 01:04PM) (new)

Kris Johnson (kjtoo) | 45 comments Mod
The second book on our reading list is Market Forces by Richard K. Morgan, a tale of hard-driving, gun-slinging corporate gladiators in a future where war is big business.

We'll be discussing Market Forces in mid-March, so get yourself a copy and join us!

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed | 7 comments Loved this book. . .

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Johnson (lolaj) | 1 comments I'm halfway through this now. For those of you who didn't get through Fatherland, please don't be shy about picking up Market Forces. This book will make for a great discussion -- I'm looking forward to it. That's all I'm going to say now.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed | 7 comments So, how does the discussion work? Postings here/ Or something more complex? Live or via internet?

message 5: by Kris (new)

You're welcome to post your thoughts on the book here or at the the Official Community.

If you'd like to discuss it in another venue, we may be able to arrange that, too. We'll post an announcement when we schedule the recording of the discussion episode and perhaps we can arrange to include minions in that discussion, be it in person or via Skype or some other Intertool.

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed | 7 comments I posted a fairly long post on the NING environment, although I ended up with two profiles somehow. I'd be interested in being a minion on a discussion, if the overlords so choose.

message 7: by Kris (new)

I read about 110 pages last night. Enjoying it so far. I'm seeing elements of Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho (specifically, the attention to grooming and fashion), which I also liked a lot.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ed...you're in. We'll set it up. Email me good nights for you to record.

As for the book. I'm enjoying it. It owes a lot to a short story by Harlan Ellison called "Along the Scenic Route," which I also recommend.

I'm about halfway through.

message 9: by Ed (new)

Ed | 7 comments Most any night of the week will work.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Finished the book early this morning. Very enjoyable and a much easier read than Fatherland, to be sure.

message 11: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth (nukehavoc) | 14 comments I finally got my copy today; I'll commence reading it shortly.

message 12: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth (nukehavoc) | 14 comments So I'm about two chapters into this book, and the only thing I can think of is ... I really want to play Car Wars. So to that end, I'm planning on trying out Uncle Bear's Toybox Wars rules tonight as a pre-game session before D&D.

message 13: by Kris (new)

We recorded our discussion of Market Forces with Ed Dale late last week and you can hear our thoughts on the book in Episode 0008 of The Secret Lair.

Ken, I'll add a link to your Toybox Wars playtest to the show notes.

Troy, I saw your thoughts on the book too late to include them in the podcast discussion, but I'll add a link to the show notes.

Also, if you want to read Laura's review of the book, you can find it in the Market Forces thread at the official community site.