Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Penny Brannigan (The Cold Light of Mourning) - Elizabeth J Duncan

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2408 comments Mod
February

The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1) by Elizabeth J. Duncan The Cold Light of Mourning by Elizabeth J. Duncan

Here's where to discuss the book.

A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2) by Elizabeth J. Duncan A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3) by Elizabeth J. Duncan A Small Hill to Die On (Penny Brannigan, #4) by Elizabeth J. Duncan Never Laugh As a Hearse Goes By (Penny Branigan #5) by Elizabeth J. Duncan

message 2: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 100 comments Ordered the book from the library and just waiting for it to arrive so I can start reading it. Running a few days behind.

message 3: by Peggy (new)

Peggy R (curlupwithacozy) | 4 comments This one just arrived for me on hold at my library yesterday. Wouldn't you know we had a snow storm here with another 4 inches of snow so I'll have to wait to pick it up sometime during the week.

message 4: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 100 comments Picked up my book and can't wait to get started with it.

message 5: by jaxnsmom (new)

I'm picking it up tomorrow, and plan to read it this weekend.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Ann | 10 comments Great book. Loved the characters. Nice to have the main female character be older and still have a life.

message 7: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Great book. I loved the characters and the setting. I picked it up and started reading and then realized I had read it in the past. I don't know why I didn't continue with the series then, but I will now.

message 8: by Randee (new)

Randee Baty I just finished this and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for introducing me to this writer.

message 9: by jaxnsmom (new)

I truly enjoyed this book, and want to continue with the series. Which surprised me since I've discovered I'm not a big fan of the traditional English cozy, and I'd heard that description associated with the book.

Do any of you think it's a traditional English cozy? I'm trying to get an idea of what makes those English cozies unappealing to me and how this book differs from others.

message 10: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I truly enjoyed this book, and want to continue with the series. Which surprised me since I've discovered I'm not a big fan of the traditional English cozy, and I'd heard that description associat..."

I love the English typical cozies. I think that generally speaking though the characteristics are usually: small village setting, often a vicar and village church involvement (ie discussions of church fete, church social events, etc), in many of the traditional series the sleuths are older females along the lines of Ms. Marple or in some cases, like Rhys Bowens and MC Beaton, the village constable.

This book the sleuth is more of a business woman than typical, and she is more liberal, perhaps?? I think modern English cozies are more like this book, for example Ann Purser's Lois Meade series the protagonist owns a business and the Ellie Quicke series also feels very much like this.

I have heard others say that they don't like the English cozies because they find the sleuths often more narrow minded and judgmental. They come across as more nosy and interfering than curious.

I think they differ from American cozies, in that American cozies tend to be more centered around a theme, like cooking as in Diane Mott Davidson's or Joanne Fluke's books or knitting, like Maggie Sefton's. English cozies, in general, are more just about village life with no particular occupational or hobby theme.

message 11: by Randee (new)

Randee Baty Yes, I would not have called this a traditional English mystery. I would call it a Contemporary English Cozy. The feel is very different than an Agatha Christie or Dorothy Sayers. I think Fanficfan44's points are all right on.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary Ann | 10 comments I also agree with fanficfan44's points. I only read a few of the agatha raisin series and got very tired of it because it seemed so depressing. But i loved agatha christie and sir conan doyle books. Ive read them all. But dont like the contemporary authors writing like that