Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's January Reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments 1. In The Bleak Midwinter, Julia Spencer-Fleming. First of the Clare and Russ features budding friendship developing in midst of murder investigation. 4Plus
2. Guardian Angel, Sara Paretsky. V.I. gets involved with a bunch of corporate scumbags who have few boundaries. 4
3. The Purification Ceremony, Mark Sullivan. Deer hunters become the prey. Indian tracker enters the spirit world in her attempt to end the problem. 4Plus
4. Tatiana, Martin Cruz Smith. Arkady Renko investigates the death of a reporter, a mysterious coded notebook, and a cloudy conspiracy in the usual Arkady muted fashion. 4
5. Going Dark, James Hall. Thorn, his son, and an old friend get caught up in an eco-group's plot against a nuclear power plant in the Florida Keys. Differing agendas make things interesting. 4
6. Unleashed, David Rosenfelt. Andy Carpenter defends a woman accused of murder. In mid-trial the case takes a turn and leads to a much larger conspiracy. 4
7. A Fountain Filled With Blood, Julia Spencer-Fleming. Round Two in the Clare and Russ bout revolves around the issue of gays. But maybe there's more to the story? 4
8. Pursuit of Honor, Vince Flynn. Mitch Rapp goes after 3 remaining terrorists who escaped after the DC bombings. CIA employees, retired CIA and politicians make Mitch's job harder. 4

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14620 comments Looks like a good month, Dan! Your Thorn book inspired me to update the James W Hall books I have read here on GR. Somehow I missed #2 and am up to date through #11 so have three books to go, perhaps I will get caught up in 2014. James W Hall is a writer I admire, his Holliday posts back in the day on the AOL Hardboiled book board were such FUN,
Julia Spencer Fleming is another who you can't go wrong reading, good ones ahead for you if you are reading in order.

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments I am still missing one Flynn, waiting for it to show up at the UBS.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Good month! One with Clare & Russ in it is always good. I'd forgotten about those Holliday posts, Ann. I looked forward to those!

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments I have "In the Bleak Midwinter" somewhere in the TBR pile. I need to unbury it soon :)

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3689 comments Susie in KS wrote: "I have "In the Bleak Midwinter" somewhere in the TBR pile. I need to unbury it soon :)"

yes, you do!

message 7: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments I read The Purification Ceremony by Mark Sullivan before I began to keep book journals and I'd forgotten its title. Every so often I'd remember the plot and say "Now, what book was that?" It really was a wonderful book. I can now file the title in my memory.

message 8: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments I liked both of his Native American themed books.

message 9: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments good month