For the love of Horror discussion

Group reads > Currently Reading!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 140 (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments Group reads are great, but there are those of you who read much quicker than that and I thought I'd start a discussion on what everyone is reading so we can see and find new books would be a good idea.

message 2: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments So I'll Start it off:

Gilded Feathers (Gilded Feathers, #1) by J. Woods

5/41 - Just finished Glided Feathers by J. Woods an extremely well written book that's one part romance, one part fantasy, and a little part nightmare, which I greatly enjoyed

Virginia is for Mysteries by Sisters in Crime

6/41- Just started Virginia is for Mysteries which is a compilation of multiple authors and short stories, one of whom is Fiona Quinn, a wonderfully nice author I met on Twitter and I look forward to reading.

Eden Fell by Lily Author
7/41 - Next up will by Eden Fell by Lily a Canadian Author who is continually making me laugh here at Goodreads and this book looks really wild and little insane and I can't wait to dig into it

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) | 189 comments :D

Here's what I'm rereading. I was in the mood and it's been awhile.

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King

message 4: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) I'm reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and oh my gosh I'm so in love with it. I've never been able to relate to a character so well!

message 5: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Bilbo use the links...

and that doesn't seem very horror? lol

message 6: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) Oh does it have to be horror??

message 7: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments No, I was just teasing. I mean look at what I have romantic/sci-fi, mystery, and Lily (I'm not sure how to classify her) so anything goes

message 8: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) Okay haha ^.^

message 9: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 31 comments James wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

Just started reading this.. must say, it's a great read so far."

Yes, that's exceedingly good. I tore through that one in record time.

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Reed | 20 comments James wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

yeah, that one is pretty interesting...i know Ellis has a semi warped mind, this book just solidified it.

message 11: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments James wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

Looks interesting, I put it on my 'to read' list

message 12: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) | 189 comments I think I saw a back handed compliment in there...

Time is the theif of memory.

message 13: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments so is alcohol...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Currently reading Remember September by Ion Salem Remember September

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim | 6 comments Currently reading Galilee by Clive Barker and The Road by Cormac McCarthy

message 16: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 31 comments Kim wrote: "Currently reading Galilee by Clive Barker and The Road by Cormac McCarthy"

Galilee's one of my favorite Barker books. I hope you like it.

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim | 6 comments Gregor wrote: "Kim wrote: "Currently reading Galilee by Clive Barker and The Road by Cormac McCarthy"

Galilee's one of my favorite Barker books. I hope you like it."

I'm LOVING it so far about 200 pages in. It definitely was a good one to get me to want to read more by him.

message 18: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 31 comments Kim wrote: "Gregor wrote: "Kim wrote: "Currently reading Galilee by Clive Barker and The Road by Cormac McCarthy"

Galilee's one of my favorite Barker books. I hope you like it."

I'm LOVING it so far about 20..."

I'm glad to hear it. I'm ashamed to say that I put off reading it for some time because I thought it was Barker's attempt at a romance novel. Yes, it does have romance elements, but it's so much more than that.

message 19: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Watts | 86 comments Currently reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver and Berg by Hilary Menos . Neither are dark fiction.

message 21: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 643 comments Mod
I have a question for everyone. How do you get the covers of the book to show? I've never do that on here before and would like to do that. :)

message 22: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments Right above the comment space is a place to search authors and books. You find what you want and just hit add

message 23: by Katharine (new)

Rick wrote: "Right above the comment space is a place to search authors and books. You find what you want and just hit add"

But when I click add it just links the title of the book. Let be try this again to see if it works this time. Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen and The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath by Sylvia Plath

message 24: by Katharine (new)

Rick wrote: "Right above the comment space is a place to search authors and books. You find what you want and just hit add"

Yeah..... I feel like an idiot now. haha I didn't catch the whole link and cover button at the bottom but now I know so thanks for telling me about it! :)

message 25: by Misha (new)

Misha (itz_mie) NOS4a2 by Joe Hill... and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

message 27: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Hunger (Gone, #2) by Michael Grant

A bit slower than the first book in the series, but ok.

message 28: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments Virginia is for Mysteries by Sisters in Crime

6/41 - Just finished Virginia is for Mysteries a compilation of short stories about murder that was a pretty fun read

Eden Fell by Lily Author

7/41 - Just started Eden Fell by Lily an author who I met here at Goodreads and so far it is wild and trippy.

The Abomination Assignment (The Bowin Novels, #1) by Lee Holz

8/41 - Next up the Abomination Assignment by Lee Hotz and adventurous thriller by another author i met here at Goodreads

And if it seems like I'm reading a lot of independent authors who I've met here at Goodreads, or on Twitter, or Facebook, it's because I am. I like talking to fellow authors about the issues and processes we go through in completing our novels. I not only want to continually support fellow authors but also I really want to check out what they're writing to get a feel for where I am in comparison. It's only human nature to want to know where you stand as an author.

message 29: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) For the first time in forever I'm reading two books at once, ahhhhhh, but that is because the first book I'm reading is really awkward to carry around and read on the train and stuff so I'm only reading it at home;
A Monster Calls
And the second book I'm going to start reading in like twenty minutes when I head to the bus to go the art gallery (yeyyyy) is;
The Kalahari Typing School for Men

message 30: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments Bilbo wrote: "For the first time in forever I'm reading two books at once, ahhhhhh, but that is because the first book I'm reading is really awkward to carry around and read on the train and stuff so I'm only re..."

Both look interesting, but neither looks like it would be awkward to read publicly...

message 31: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) I mean more the size of the book! A monster calls is a very heavy hardcover and is bigger than a normal book so it's a pain to carry around and pull out on the bus etc.

message 32: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments Oh... that makes sense

message 33: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2 comments A psychological true crime that little is what it first appears to be. This heart wrenching tale follows a father and how he must save his daughters from a parents worst nightmare. Highly recommend!! First Night of Summer by Landon Parham Only $2.99 on kindle, nook, and ibook.

message 34: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments Eden Fell by Lily Author

7/41 - Just finished Eden Fell by Lily a drug fueled ride through the mind of an artist that's raw, unfiltered, and often times shocking, but still a very interesting read.

The Abomination Assignment (The Bowin Novels, #1) by Lee Holz

8/41 - Just Started The Abomination Assignment by Lee Holz an adventure thriller by an artists i met here at Goodreads.

The Wolves of Midwinter (The Wolf Gift Chronicles, #2) by Anne Rice

9/41 - Next up The Wolves of Midwinter by Anne Rice a follow up to the Wolf Gift that i'm looking forward to - if i can figure out how to get rid of all the highlighting my ex did throughout the book (?)

message 35: by Gregor (new)

message 36: by Tired CNA (new)

Tired CNA (tired_cna) | 2 comments Sharp Objects. Love this book. Dark and suspenseful!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Almost finished reading Twist (Frank Quinn, #8) by John Lutz Twist. Excellent mystery/thriller!

message 38: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) | 189 comments Though I really want to get started on the Gretchen series, there's this book that's come highly recommended as a prime example of how to write horror and I'm quite curious.

Dark Hollow by Brian Keene

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Being a person that has to read more than one book for some odd reason i am about to begin Imajica
As well as The Fellowship of the Ring

And maybe reread the gunslinger series by stephen king or do the lovecraft's entire fiction i just got. The Complete Fiction
Ill of both more than likely lol i have a lot of reading to do

message 40: by Wren (new)

message 41: by Robert (new)

Robert Essig | 15 comments I'm reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Also reading The Reverend's Powder by Erik Williams.

Both are good, but Neverwhere is goddamn amazing. My first Gaiman read and I love it.

message 42: by Misty (new)

Misty  (linkypie) | 6 comments Cannibals of Candyland, plus I also started House of Leaves :)

message 43: by Misha (new)

Misha (itz_mie) God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about to start The Racketeer by John Grisham The Racketeer

message 45: by Mon (new)

Mon (helloneek) I'm currently reading 'the exorcist' by William Peter Blatty

message 46: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 174 comments I just finished:

The Abomination Assignment (Bowin, #1) by Lee Holz
The Abomination Assignment by Lee Holz which was an exploration of government sanctioned assassination which I found very interesting

I also Finished:

The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers
The King in Yellow by Robert W Chambers I read this because I heard that HBO's True Detective used it as a source, which is true, but there was more than this book in the show. The first 5 short stories in The King in Yellow are pretty good and I can see how HP Lovecraft used them as a basis for his works. But the last five short stories are not that great.

I'm currently reading:

The Best of Joe R. Lansdale by Joe R. Lansdale
The best of Joe R Lansdale which was recommended to my in my For The Love of Horror group and started with a Godzilla story that just great and is continuing with Bubba Ho-Tep, which for the un-initiated was made into a movie with the great Bruce Campbell, which I enjoyed. So i'm looking forward to the rest of the book.

Next up:

The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft 102 Horror Short Stories, Novels, Juvenelia, Collaborations and Ghost Writings by H.P. Lovecraft
The Complete Works of HP Lovecraft it's been awhile since I've read HP Lovecraft and look forward to getting back into his stories as I start write my own set of horror shorts for my next book. Time to get inspired.

message 47: by Katharine (new)

Monique wrote: "I'm currently reading 'the exorcist' by William Peter Blatty"

Is that any good?

message 48: by Misty (new)

Misty  (linkypie) | 6 comments I just went to the library and picked up a copy of Exquisite Corpse, I hope I can stomach it! I also grabbed some YA books to read when I need a breather ;)

message 49: by Marie (last edited Mar 25, 2014 05:09AM) (new)

Marie True Haunting by Edwin F. Becker
Just finished reading this - true haunting - awesome book - just a word of advice, don't read this book the same night that you watch the movie "Conjuring" or you will be up most of the night like I was last week - lol

message 50: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Prescott (horrorbound) So I'm almost done reading Ring
Which is what the American version and the original Japanese version of The Ring is based on and holy crap is the book amazing. I'm devouring it. I recommend it to everyone. It's creepy without being in your face and it's edge of your seat type of writing.

Anyone else read it?

« previous 1 3