What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Book about 2 Jewish brothers who build an oil/business empire

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill | 8 comments The brothers frequently visit their family (parents?) and discuss things over matzo ball soup.

One brother goes up against a business rival at an art auction and makes the winning bid for a Van Gogh painting (sunflowers) and later trades the painting and money for his business rival's skyscraper.

The brothers hit hard times and, in an attempt to get back on their feet they borrow billions of dollars and play the currency markets. They lose big.

If anybody has even the slightest idea please post. It will be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Bill

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Fiction or nonfiction? When was it published, or when did you read it? Do you remember anything about the cover?

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Sounds intriguing. I'm moving this to the Unsolved folder where it will attract more seekers.

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill | 8 comments Thanks for your interest/efforts

I read it before 1998, it had a dark blue cover and I think it had a picture/drawing of the glass facade of a large building.

That is about all the info I have.

Not very precise perhaps but it was a long read. Maybe 800 pages plus. Again, not exact. I was about 14 when I read it.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill | 8 comments Don't know if bumping posts is acceptable but thought I would see if anyone might have another look at this.

Thanks

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Bill, bumping posts is absolutely acceptable, in fact encouraged. Every 30-60 days is the normal bump time so you were due.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Bill, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill | 8 comments Hey, thanks for asking!

I am still looking and am no further forward.

If anyone has even the slightest hint of an idea I am all ears.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35105 comments Mod
Bill, what's the time period and location - e.g., New York City?

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill | 8 comments I reckon it was 1980s or early 90s.

I forget the main setting. Some international stuff, I think they relocated their business to switzerland at one point but not sure. I was 14 or so when I read it.

I remember the brothers having family dinners with matzo ball soup.

The main points were that they set up an oil trading business and were viewed as industry upstarts.

The most memorable scene involves one brother bidding against his rival for a painting (think it was a Van Gogh) and winning by outbidding by a ridiculous amount which knocked his rivals confidence. Knowing his business rival really wanted the painting he trades it along with a sum of money in exchange for the skyscraper his rival had just finished building. This then became the brothers' headquarters.

Their business hit the skids and they borrowed many billions in a last ditch attempt to get back on top by trying to tamper with the global currency markets.

Thanks for your interest!

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill | 8 comments read it before 1998, it had a dark blue cover and I think it had a picture/drawing of the glass facade of a large building with a yellow or golden emblem/crown/crest on it.

That is about all the info I have.

Not very precise perhaps but it was a long read. Maybe 800 pages plus. Again, not exact. I was about 14 when I read it.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking now?

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill | 8 comments Absolutely. Any info anybody has would be greatly appreciated

message 14: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 15 comments Was it a generational tale? It sounds like it might have been

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill | 8 comments There may have been an odd flashback but the focus was on the building of, and subsequent fall of the brothers’ business empire.

Thanks for all the interest!

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Bill ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 176 where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!