The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group Welcomes New Moderator

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
It all began in 2010 when Hayes and I became the moderators of a modest group of 450 mystery fans. Two years later we had over 4,500 worldwide members and Bill graciously agreed to join the team. Now it’s 2014, we’ve just passed 10,000 members, and I would like to introduce our newest moderator, Nancy.

Nancy hails from sunny Florida and has a special interest in international crime fiction, especially translated works and I, for one, am looking forward to some interesting recommendations.

Please join me in welcoming Nancy today.

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon Kurtz (jondkurtz) | 132 comments Welcome Nancy. Though a relatively new member, I've enjoyed the experience of sharing and learning through Goodreads. I look forward to your comments and insight.

message 3: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 157 comments Welcome Nancy.

message 4: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Muller | 28 comments Welcome, Nancy, I'm sure you'll do a great job :)

message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8962 comments Mod
Thank you! I am incredibly honored to be asked to help out the other very hard-working moderators. I love all kinds of crime fiction, but as Donna noted, I have a special fondness for international crime. There are a huge number of extremely talented writers from all over the world -- I try not to limit myself to any one country.

Anyway, thank you for the welcome and feel free to peruse my translated crime fiction shelves!

message 6: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35964 comments Welcome, Nancy. Looking forward to your recommendations.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill Welcome fella moderator. I enjoy international mysteries as well. I agree, there are so many talented writers out there.

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

You all make a girl feel so welcome!

message 9: by Janis (new)

Janis Bolster | 30 comments Welcome, Nancy, and thank you also to Donna and Bill. I joined the group just last fall, and I've already seen huge numbers of interesting recommendations - not to mention the good discussions.

message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Thank you, Janis!

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth | 408 comments Welcome, Nancy, and thank you so much for signing on as a volunteer moderator!

message 12: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (sbrittig) | 47 comments Hi Nancy! Thanks for coming on board!

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hudson (docnancy) I am a different Nancy. Whoops! I am new here also.

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Thanks,Beth and Sherrie!

And welcome, different Nancy!

message 15: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott (goodreadscomknitknat) | 21 comments Welcome Nancy. I just started getting into international mysteries. I will peruse your shelf to find my next read.

message 16: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Thank you! There are some wonderful writers outside of the US, the UK, and Scandinavia that are well worth reading.

message 17: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 62 comments Welcome, Nancy.

message 18: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Garrett wrote: "Welcome, Nancy."

Thank you, Garrett!

message 19: by Debra (new)

Debra (debramurphy) | 3 comments Welcome, Nancy! I've only begun to dip my toe into the pool of mysteries-in-translation, the Wallander series, first and foremost. But I also love English-language mysteries set in (to me) exotic locations, like Shanley's Botswanan Detective Kubu.

message 20: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Debra wrote: "Welcome, Nancy! I've only begun to dip my toe into the pool of mysteries-in-translation, the Wallander series, first and foremost. But I also love English-language mysteries set in (to me) exotic l..."

Hi Debra and thank you! I started my translated crime novels with Wallander, then moved on to the Martin Beck series by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö -- which ultimately became my favorites of all of the Scandinavian crime fiction novels. You might also like Arnaldur Indridason, whose books are set in Iceland.

message 21: by Debra (new)

Debra (debramurphy) | 3 comments Terrific, Nancy! In the so-many-books-so-little-time category, recommendations are always welcome.

message 22: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Debra wrote: "Terrific, Nancy! In the so-many-books-so-little-time category, recommendations are always welcome."

Well, when you finish with Scandinavia, head on over to Italy and Andrea Camilleri -- the Montalbano novels are excellent and good for at least a couple of laughs per book.

message 23: by Bill (new)

Bill Another great series set in Italy is Donna Leon's Inspectore Brunetti series set in Venice. It's great.

message 24: by Dan (new)

Dan Petrosini | 51 comments My latest book,Complicit Witness is featured on Booksends and on sale for only 99 cents at Amazon. A top 4 best sellers in crime genre!

message 25: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Dan wrote: "My latest book,Complicit Witness is featured on Booksends and on sale for only 99 cents at Amazon. A top 4 best sellers in crime genre!"

Congrats, Dan! You may want to let everyone know in the group's Author's Corner section rather than here. My feeling is that more readers will be looking there rather than in a discussion topic welcoming me as a new moderator!

message 26: by Dan (new)

Dan Petrosini | 51 comments Opps!

message 27: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Dan wrote: "Opps!"

No worries --

message 28: by Dan (new)

Dan Petrosini | 51 comments I could not find the Author corner discussion...

message 29: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Dan wrote: "I could not find the Author corner discussion..."

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 30: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Thank you -- You are ever so kind! It's fun -- I wasn't much of a thread watcher before, and I've run across so many lovely people here since I started.

message 31: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 571 comments Welcome Nancy. Looking forward to recommendations. I kinda hope you can revitalize the UN Challenge threads.

message 32: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Wendy wrote: "Welcome Nancy. Looking forward to recommendations. I kinda hope you can revitalize the UN Challenge threads."

Hi and thanks! I think that's a great idea!

message 33: by PortCityDeDe (new)

PortCityDeDe (dhsmith) Hello. I'm Dentral (pronounced like central). I am excited about becoming a part of group and look forward to some interesting reads. I am a Southern Belle planted in the city of Brotherly Love (Philadelphia). I look forward to meeting you all in discussion.

message 34: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Dentral wrote: "Hello. I'm Dentral (pronounced like central). I am excited about becoming a part of group and look forward to some interesting reads. I am a Southern Belle planted in the city of Brotherly Love ..."

Well, Hello Dentral! Welcome. You might wish to take a moment and say your hellos to everyone in the "reporting for duty" thread. I'm old news now, so likely no one will read your post here!

Click here -- then say howdy to everyone!

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Complicit Witness (other topics)