Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island, #2)
This topic is about Heaven and Earth
Book Discussions > Heaven and Earth (February 2014 Book of the Month)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 671 comments Mod
Let's read Heaven and Earth, the second in Nora's Three Sisters Island trilogy. I'm looking forward to discussing this with all of you.

I know I read this book when it was originally released. I'm looking forward to reading it again as I don't recall it that well. Ripley was an interesting character in Dance Upon the Air so I'm looking forward to learning more about her. And I always love the bookish, scholarly hero so I'm assuming I'll enjoy this book.

Lynne Davis I just finished Heaven and Earth Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island, #2) by Nora Roberts and loved it! Ripley Todd and Mac Booke are perfect for each other - both are stubborn in their own way.

Agata (kawcia) | 17 comments I just finished "Heaven and Earth" today and I liked it as much as the first book ("Dance Upon the Air"). I managed to like Ripley and her stubbornness, although at first she would irritate me so much. I also like that I could learn more about Nell and Mia. I think all three books make the perfect story. And how about Mac?! Wow this guy would make me laugh so much. I think he is a great character, smart and good person, and he can read Ripley like an open book. I really enjoyed the story and looking forward to the last part.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5652 comments Mod
I LOVE Mac in this story. He helps balance out Ripley's sharp edges. And, I liked how he helped the women understand their individual, unique powers.

Talya | 718 comments Mod
I so agree!
Mac is making Ripley much more likeable for me.

I love the swimming scene :-)

Jeanne | 36 comments I had a hard time with this one. Ripley to me was a real "B" at first. But Mac softened her up and she became real. I definately admired her loyalty to her friends. I love this trilogy though!!

Mac's got that sexy, nerdy-geek thing going:)

Talya | 718 comments Mod
I love Nora's sexy booky nerd guys! Mac is definitely a hot geek.

I also love Nell's powers developing.

Susie Bradley (susie_bradley) | 3 comments I love this series and have read it many times over. My only issue with the 2nd book is that I feel like she rushed at the end to tie it all up. It didn't go into the same amount of detail as the first one.
I do love the Ripley character. She has such an internal struggle going on with who she is and how to deal with she who isn't.
I'm already done with the second one and 1/2 way through the third one. I just can't seem to avoid reading Nora's trilogies in sequence very quickly.

I know the feeling, Susie. I also remember Ripley's transformation running for complete denial to acceptance really quickly at the end. Maybe that's why so many had issues with the character...we were missing that in-between stage and the denial/resistance lasted too long.

Talya | 718 comments Mod
I wish I had felt more of a connection to her, but at least through the whole series, I 'got' her and understood where she was coming from.

I just honestly am not the biggest fan of any heroine in any book with a chip on her shoulder, and the other characters kind of walk on eggshells because she can be "prickly".

I struggled with her for most of the book and was just at that point where I was ready to give up on her when she turned around.

message 14: by Talya (last edited Feb 03, 2014 12:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Talya | 718 comments Mod
And I have to share, I can't help but envision Evangeline Lilly when picturing Ripley, just not quite as dolled up in this picture:

Talya | 718 comments Mod
And Jason Lewis (with glasses) as Mac:

Wish I'd had these images when I was first reading the book!!! They so work for me. (I love Evangeline Lily and Jason.)

Talya | 718 comments Mod
Thanks, Jonetta!
For me, they are very close to physical descriptions in the book :-)

Wow! Have I been under a rock? WHO is Jason Lewis? He's yummy and I don't normally go for the lighter haired guys.

I'm so glad I stopped in to read this thread tonight. I'm just barely starting to like Ripley and I'm a third of the way into the book. She has just been rubbing me wrong but I'm starting to feel for her and the internal struggle she suffers with. I do admire her sense of honor, though. (view spoiler) I guess that is actually the scene where she started to turn better as a character for me.

I really like Mac! He is funny, charming and his absent-mindedness is just huggable. I laugh each time he says he's loaded. Gotta admire the honesty.

Jason Lewis played Samantha's young boyfriend in Sex and the City, the HBO series and the movies.

Jonetta wrote: "Jason Lewis played Samantha's young boyfriend in Sex and the City, the HBO series and the movies."

Ok, thanks. Obviously I've never watched the series or the movies. :)

Talya | 718 comments Mod
Yes, he is very nice on the eyes ;-)

He also played Ford in the Lifetime movie version of Nora's book Tribute

Talya wrote: "Yes, he is very nice on the eyes ;-)

He also played Ford in the Lifetime movie version of Nora's book Tribute"

On my way to see if it's on YouTube. :)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1217 comments Evangeline Lilly and Jason Lewis are two really hot images to have for Ridley and Mac. They really work for me, perfectly. Thank you, Tayla for that contribution. I am about half way through the book. Ridley has a lot she is hiding from and I have great compassion for her. She turned her back on her heritage as a witch when she was about 20 and has spent the last 10 years trying to hide from it. It isn't working not that Nell has shown up and stirred everything up for her, not just the witchcraft thing, but her very relationships with Zack and Mia. Mac has also come at this time and added more pressure on her. Throw in the dreams and Ridley is under a lot of stress. She does not want to be a witch, but that is like her not wanting to have green eyes - it's something she just can't change.

I have a big book crush on Mac. I am really enjoying him and Ripley together. I'm almost done with the book and must say that Ripley has grown on me a lot.

message 25: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Levine | 96 comments I can see Evangelina Lilly as Ripley. She's beautiful, but cloaks it under the shell of the tough island cop. Yes, that works. Jason Lewis, though adorable, isn't working for me as Mac. Definitely more Ford, for me. Does Mac have blue eyes? I also picture him with darker hair. Is that off from Nora's description in the book. Of course, I'd be willing to be convinced otherwise!

Mac has honey brown eyes but in all other respects he's described similarly to Jason.

Talya | 718 comments Mod
Good catch on the eye color! I think what caught me the most about Mac was the hair color and physical build as well.

message 28: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Levine | 96 comments I'm about half way through this book. I find that each time I reread it, I appreciate Ripley more. So, something came to mind for me today, or rather, did so again: If Mac and Mia are cousins, then he and Ripley (and Nell) are cousins, too. Oh, I know, it's way distant, so perfectly acceptable, but does Ripley even acknowledge that connection?

message 29: by Kerri (last edited Feb 16, 2014 04:48PM) (new)

Kerri Levine | 96 comments I finished the book last night. To answer my own question, I guess she sort of does, indirectly, when Mac tells her about the family connection. I'm probably just imposing my own reaction, or what I think would have been my reaction. "Ew, we're cousins??? Hahaha!" ;)

I'm just not remembering it:)

message 31: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Levine | 96 comments Sorry, Jonetta. There isn't anything to remember, which I guess is what I'm getting at. Mac tells Ripley, once she gets over the surprise, she asks if he got any power/magic. He says, no. Her response is something like: Well, that's something, anyway.

I'm just sure that if I'd been in Ripley's shoes, I sure would have referred to the family connection, even if it IS so far up the family tree and on another branch.

message 32: by Maribel (last edited Feb 16, 2014 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maribel (itsmemaribel) | 64 comments I just finished reading this book a few minutes ago. I absolutely love Mac! and the magic scenes were far more intense than in Dance Upon the Air.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1217 comments There were several paranormal things going on in this book. With Nell's ex possessing the body and mind of the writer, you have a whole different thing going on. How he was able to do that is never explained. Then the dreams Ripley is having makes it look like history will repeat itself, except this time, Ripley is able to control her emotions and do the right thing. It seems that there is some demonic force at work and maybe we get answers in the next book.

Talya | 718 comments Mod
Ok, is someone able to help me and break down the situation with Nell's ex-husband a bit. Is he possessed?

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1217 comments Talya wrote: "Ok, is someone able to help me and break down the situation with Nell's ex-husband a bit. Is he possessed?"

Maybe he is possessed and the demon meant for him to keep Nell from going to Three Sisters Island. But, if that were the case, why no manifestation if that in the first book?

I always thought the possession was about her fear and masked as her husband.

Talya | 718 comments Mod
Oh, I see what you mean Jonetta.
This reporter Jonathan is also uber weird and creepy.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1217 comments Jonathan, the reporter, was after fame and fortune. He thought Nell's story would get that for him. As part of his research he visited Nell's ex-husband. The demon sensed his greed and saw that he could be used. Who is the demon and why does it care about the witches on Three Sisters Island?

message 39: by Kerri (last edited Feb 18, 2014 03:54PM) (new)

Kerri Levine | 96 comments Talya, good question.

Anita, I never considered that the ex-husband was used by the demon to keep Nell from Three Sisters Island. I've thought all along that he was already inherently evil, certainly selfish and mean, as is described in the scenes with his sister. Certainly by the time we meet him, he's being used by/possessed by the demon.

The reporter, was also manipulated/possessed by the demon. I don't think he was inherently evil to begin with, more like he was motivated to get a story, whatever means it took. I think that is supported by the scenes after the show down with the demon. Unlike the ex, though he is confused, he returns to sanity.

Maribel (itsmemaribel) | 64 comments I don't recall if it was explained, but Im assuming the demon might be an entity that was created and left behind after the first circle of sisters failed and almost allowed their island to fall into the ocean.
And maybe it possessed Evan Remington because it knew it could gain knowledge from at least one of the sisters, Nell.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1217 comments Excellent explanation! That Evan was obsessed in the first book is a given, but was he possessed?? I don't know. But, he sure was possessed in the mental institution and the demon grabbed onto the reporter as a way to get to Nell and the other sisters when Evan couldn't.

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 55 comments I got the impression that Evan Remington's possession by the entity began in the woods when he chased and attempted to kill Nell, but was stopped by the Three (at the end of book 1). I think he was already possessed by the time he got to the mental institution - since the entity was all about the destruction of the island and the deaths of the Three Sisters, that made the most sense to me…as I said, just my impression.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1217 comments I like that as the best explanation yet. Since we only have one book to go - all our questions will soon be answered. For me, this has been one of the best discussions yet.

message 44: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Levine | 96 comments I hadn't considered that Evan was not possessed until the time in the woods. Interesting possibility, for sure, BJ Rose. So, prior to that, are you thinking he was simply inherently evil on his own? I definitely think he is possessed by the time he's in the institution.

Anita, I agree this has been a great discussion.

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 55 comments I agree with others who said that he had always been obsessed - with power, with control, with 'owning' Helen, so yes, a very bad guy to cross, but I didn't get the feel that the entity was 'in him' until he came to the island. Even at the beginning of his confrontation with Nell at the cottage, he seemed to be acting (and feeling) toward her the way he always had in their marriage, even the 'need' to kill her if he couldn't possess her. Add the entity to that, and we get what was observed in the institution.

And yes, a great discussion. Maribel, I agree with you about the entity - maybe it was even created because of the failure of the original Three Sisters?

message 46: by Anita (last edited Feb 22, 2014 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1217 comments The original three sisters created Three Sisters Island as a refuge from the evil that was killing in the name of good on the mainland. Of the original sisters, Nell's ancestor left and hooked up with a guy who killed her; Ripley's ancestor avenged the murder with magic and suffered the lose of the man she loved; we don't know about Mia's ancestor yet. How did the evil entity get to the island and survive? I must admit I didn't read the books that closely, but I will the last one. Could it be that this entity, if not vanquished, is the destruction on Three Sisters Island?

Natascha "But I believe, unfortunately, that there's one person for each of us who's worth everything."

Where "Dance Upon the Air" gave a great start into the series, with a strong point on introducing the characters, "Heaven and Earth" pushed the story forward. I loved the myth and mystery about the Sisters and that I finally found out the whole story behind Ripley and Mia's quarrel, and in general, the legend of the Three and how history's been repeating itself for 300 years now! And I love how Mac is connected to Three Sisters, too!

The love story between Ripley and Mac was strong, but not as strong as Nell and Zack's was, I think. But it was great on its own level. Ripley didn't seem to be the type to fall head over heels for a man, but the way their story was written was on point, I thought. I liked it a lot, and Mac is an awesome character!

This series can easily become my favorite series by Nora Roberts! Although... Then I take a look at my book shelf and remember "The Sign of Seven" or the "Circle" trilogy...

Natascha Talya wrote: "I love Nora's sexy booky nerd guys! Mac is definitely a hot geek."

Oh yes! Totally dig it! *g*

Natascha Jonetta wrote: "I know the feeling, Susie. I also remember Ripley's transformation running for complete denial to acceptance really quickly at the end. Maybe that's why so many had issues with the character...we w..."

Yeah, I agree with that. That acceptance kind of took away what made Ripley herself, all of a sudden.

Natascha Kerri wrote: "I'm just sure that if I'd been in Ripley's shoes, I sure would have referred to the family connection, even if it IS so far up the family tree and on another branch."

I know what you mean and I think I would've reacted the same way. I mean, at least considering the relation, distant or not.

« previous 1