Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

William Lane Craig
This topic is about William Lane Craig
The Forum - Debate Religion > Does God Exist: Dr. Craig vs. Dr. Millican

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brent (new)

Brent McCulley (brentthewalrus) Today, Reasonable Faith tweeted an old debate taken place at Birmingham University, England between Dr. William Lane Craig and Dr. Peter Millican on the topic: Does God Exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JVRy...

This debate is one of my favorites of Craig--I've watched twenty or so--as the dialogue is engaging, and indeed, as far as the debate goes, it was a close call!

Millican is an excellent philosopher and David Hume scholar, and really brings the heat with actual positive arguments for atheism, as well as many negative arguments for atheism (positive arguments against theism). Craig is a renowned philosopher and a theologian, who has championed many new groundbreaking arguments for God's existence the past couple decades (Kalam cosmological argument, the applicability of mathematics to the known world, etc.)

Re-watching this debate always gives me great joy. If you get the chance, give it a spin.

What do you think of Craig's apologetic approach? How necessary is classical debate style format in order to actually have a constructive dialogue without all the red herrings and ad hominems?

Dr. Craig's ministry can be reached at reasonablefaith.org

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I'm looking forward to watching it. I'm not a fan of W.L. Craig but i'm really curious about the other guy. I've never heard of positive arguments for atheism, how interesting.

message 3: by Brent (new)

Brent McCulley (brentthewalrus) The theodicy dilemma would be a positive argument for atheism.

message 4: by Brent (new)

Brent McCulley (brentthewalrus) Rod,

Curious as to why you are not a fan of Craig? His apologetics ministry is what got me turned on to philosophy, and ultimately, to theology, a few years ago.

message 5: by Ned (last edited Feb 02, 2014 09:52AM) (new)

Ned | 206 comments I am big fan and admirer of Dr. Craig. He is a brilliant man and a great communicator. I must confess, however, to finding many of his discussions intellectually inaccessible. In fact, I doubt three percent of his audience fully grasps his arguments at times. I believe that Dr. Craig himself has stated that it took him years to appreciate the Kalaam. Nevertheless, I get part of it, and I think the best facet of Dr. Craig's personality is his kindness and patience in the face of the most unfair and vicious attacks on his person. We can all learn from that.

message 6: by Brent (new)

Brent McCulley (brentthewalrus) Ned wrote: "I am big fan and admirer of Dr. Craig. He is a brilliant man and a great communicator. I must confess, however, to finding many of his discussions intellectually inaccessible. In fact, I doubt thre..."

Indeed, at the most recent Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane debates in Australia with Dr. Krauss, Dr. Craig was ridiculed, humiliated, and vilified by Dr. Krauss in numerous occasions, that it is almost embarrassing to watch since Dr. Krauss at times makes an absolute fool of himself; even still, Dr. Craig was so patient and kind in his approach. His apologetic approach is definitely something we can all learn from.

message 7: by Ned (new)

Ned | 206 comments Dr. Craig recommends this book in the video:

World without Design: The Ontological Consequences of Naturalism by Michael C. Rea

It is quite expensive at $41 for the Kindle version (for a paltry 200 pages), but I downloaded the sample. Interesting read. I think he is quite right about the nature of research programs and our pragmatic adoption of them. I want to finish the book, but $41? I'll think about it. I can buy three other good books for that.

http://www.amazon.com/World-without-D...

message 8: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I think Ned hit the nail on the head. Dr. Craig does come across as a brilliant academic who is somewhat intellectually inaccessible.

I always try to approach Apologetics from more of a street level. Or at least a common man religious level.

I think what W.L.Craig does is great! And very necessary. But I prefer Ravi Zacharias. It's amazing how I can watch both of them give a totally convincing talk with facts and logic and have audiences laugh and ridicule every point. Often it seems we are all wasting our time. But even Jesus and Paul seldom reached the masses.

My only real concern with Dr. Craig is that he is supportive of evolution. At least i've heard a few people state that. If he is - then I've lost alot of respect for his intellectual abilities and discernment.

message 9: by Ned (new)

Ned | 206 comments +1 for Ravi Zacharias, Rod. I am a supporter of his ministry.

message 10: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Ravi is my favorite because of his ability to deal with World Religions and the philosophy of Love & Evil, and the truth of the Bible.

Does Dr. Craig ever deal with cults and world religions? I'm not sure - probably. If so I will go and find some of his discussions. So far I have only seen hours of him combating atheists.

message 11: by Ned (last edited Feb 03, 2014 08:03AM) (new)

Ned | 206 comments Rod, Dr. Craig does address other religions, the problem of evil, and so forth from time to time.

Is Mormonism a Cult?

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/is-mor...

The Problem of Evil

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/search...

Islam

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/search...

message 12: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Thanks Ned. I'm excited to watch them.

message 13: by Brent (new)

Brent McCulley (brentthewalrus) Thanks Ned, for the references.

I listen to Dr. Craig's podcasts every week, and read his question of the week frequently. He does deal with apologetic issues like that although his main focus is against non theists and atheists. His philosophic work has greatly I influenced me, as well as some of his books like "Reasonable Faith" and "On Guard."