/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
This topic is about The Emperor's Blades
2014 Book Club Discussions > February 2014: The Emperor's Blades - Discussion 1 - First Half

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments First half of the book discussion only - please keep it lively and mark spoilers if necessary.

Peter (peterkeep) Well, I started this one a bit early, so I hit the halfway point last night. Just to clarify, what are we calling the halfway point? The first half in terms of page numbers?

Also, how do we mark spoilers? Is there a hovertext option?

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments Peter wrote: "Well, I started this one a bit early, so I hit the halfway point last night. Just to clarify, what are we calling the halfway point? The first half in terms of page numbers?

Also, how do we mark s? Is there a hovertext option?"

Spoilers can be added using spoiler tags: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
I don't think there is a hover text option

I think it looks like the first half would be Chapters 1 - 25.

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments I read this a couple months ago, so can't remember which specific events happened in the first half, but it's recent enough, I remember pretty well what happened in the story and my reaction. So, will keep my comments slightly vague to make sure I don't reference anything that hasn't happened yet.

While reading this, I found I had a definite preference for Valyn's chapters. Not that I disliked the others, his just seemed a bit more fun. I also had expected to see more of Adare since she had almost equal billing in the blurb. I think her chapters provide good insight into what is going on politically in the book, so I am glad they are there, but so far, feel a bit detached from her character.

And Kaden. Not the life I would expect training in a monastery!

I know one of my complaints that came early in the book is the level of explanation and repetition. This is something I can nitpick about fairly often, it's not a fault in the book so much as a personal style preference on my part.

Peter (peterkeep) Lisa wrote: "I read this a couple months ago, so can't remember which specific events happened in the first half, but it's recent enough, I remember pretty well what happened in the story and my reaction. So, will keep my comments slightly vague to make sure I don't reference anything that hasn't happened yet."

The halfway point is right after Hull's Trial then.

I'll agree so far with most of what you said: Valyn's chapters are the most interesting, and Adare's chapters feel mostly like a political info-dump. I think the limited plot line (so far) for her has really hindered how much I care about her. I'm slightly interested in the trial, but for the most part, I just want to read more about Valyn.

What I'm really hoping for is that the plot doesn't take predictable turns. I love being surprised and having to theorize about different plot lines through a series, so I'm hoping that there are still some more twists and turns. I still don't feel like I have a very big-picture idea of what's happening, other than the assassination and possible plot against the family.

Kyle (kyleomara) | 11 comments I'm not sure whether I like Valyn's or Kaden's chapters more. Obviously the action and subterfuge in Valyn's chapters are easy to get in to, but I like the philosophical nature of Kaden's. It's always interesting to get insight that deeply into a character's thoughts and nature.

While Adare's chapters do not have the same impact of the other chapters yet, seeming to be used for exposition of the empire. But I think moving forward it will get just as intriguing as the rest.

Although I think my favorite part of the book so far was just a little blurb. The Emperor's Blades has it's own Superman, Arim Hua the sun leach! Don't know if the Arim Hua/Kal-El relation was intentional or not, but it stuck with me.

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments These royal kids live awfully hard lives.

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments Joel wrote: "These royal kids live awfully hard lives."

Heh ... yeah, not exactly the pampered live one expects for the heir to a throne (and their siblings). Kind of crazy that they are sent to such dangerous training. I guess Valyn is not the heir, and Kaden's training, while harsh and grueling, is not quite so life threatening. At least not for most of the trainees in the monastery.

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments On the other hand, (view spoiler). Not to mention the constant mental abuse he goes through - all in the name of his "training".

Either way, definitely not the posh, arrogant royals you're used to in books. Kind of an interesting change. I've also enjoyed some of the lore that's been inserted via the monastery scenes.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments I couldn't remember if your spoiler was first or second half.

It is definitely an interesting change. Also really enjoyed the monastery, and the feeling that there is something a bit more mysterious going on there.

message 11: by Joel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Spoiler was right near the 1/3 point.

Justin  (junky8687) | 27 comments Very much enjoying this so far. I like the contrast between Kaden and Valyn's chapters as it offers a good change of pace.

So far, my favorite part has been the final part of Hull's Trial. I thought the underground cave test with the Slarn was very unique and well done.