/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
This topic is about The Emperor's Blades
2014 Book Club Discussions > February 2014: The Emperor's Blades - First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Here's the place to post your first impressions of Brian Staveley's The Emperor's Blades!

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments I've contacted Brian about doing a Q&A, hopefully he is available to come answer some questions!

Lucinda | 57 comments I downloaded the free sample chapters and was not going to purchase this book because of commas.

My reason may seem petty, but, truly, the number of commas used in the first five paragraphs, let alone in the entirety of the prologue, turned me off. ;)

The sentence structure of the prologue was enough to keep me from buying the book. Semicolons, ellipses, em dashes, and commas litter almost every paragraph. It felt like I was reading a blog :(.

I'm still "on the fence" about purchasing the book and giving it more than seven chapters to catch my interest. I'll wait until more of you post your impressions. (It would not be the first time that my initial impression of a book was wrong, lol.)

message 4: by Kym (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kym (kymskiles) Started this last night and I'm about 100 pages in right now. So far, I'm totally hooked. Trying desperately to pace myself so I don't inhale the entire novel too quickly. Can't wait to see where this goes next.

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments The book starts off with such a massive bang - I did not see that coming. So far, I'm not finding much of the stuff people have complained about - I think the writing is solid and the story is moving along nicely. It's interesting and the drama is intriguing.

It's obviously a medieval fantasy setting, but if the only argument for every new book is that it's "not something totally new", then fantasy won't even exist.

Lucinda | 57 comments Joel wrote: " So far, I'm not finding much of the stuff people have complained about - I think the writing is solid and the story is moving along nicely..."

...ok...I'll buy and and give it a good solid evening to ensnare me.

Justin  (junky8687) | 27 comments I'm enjoying the book so far and am very much liking how he chooses to describe his world. It's very immersive.

message 8: by Kym (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kym (kymskiles) Since I'm new to this group (or any Goodreads group for that matter), what's the protocol on spoiler type discussion? I'm happy to follow the accepted rules but I don't know what they are here :)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments I really enjoyed the beginning of this, it's a fun read that hooks you in quickly.

Kym wrote: "Since I'm new to this group (or any Goodreads group for that matter), what's the protocol on spoiler type discussion? I'm happy to follow the accepted rules but I don't know what they are here :)"
Welcome! Glad to have you join us :) It's a friendly bunch and there's some good discussions.
As for spoilers, in this topic, no spoilers (use spoiler tags if you want/need to mention any). We also have discussions for the first and second halves of the book. Spoilers are welcome in those threads as long as they are contained to the section of the book being discussed. (So don't discuss anything from the second half of the book in the first half discussion).

message 10: by Michael (last edited Feb 10, 2014 07:52AM) (new) - added it

Michael E Thom | 1 comments I happen to have just started this book. Pretty good so far, aside from a few too many tells where the action stops in the first chapter to tell me about gods and the history of these ministers, but I'm looking passed that. The first couple pages or so really intrigued me. I'm hoping more of that comes in the story, after all, it had a really good opening.

message 11: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments I don't think I'm going to be able to fit a read of this in with the group - but I have bought it and will read it. I'll be stopping back after the fact to check out what people thought.

Colby (dobro3) I really enjoyed the read. It's tough to find gritty, adult fantasy. I thought the writing was seamless & well thought out. Reminiscent of Rothfuss, Stover, Sanderson, and Weeks which are some of my favorite authors. I can't say that the story is as complicated or visceral but it looks like it has the ability to do so. I'm a fan.

Nathan Tullis (nathantullis) | 1 comments I'm around 50% done and I am really enjoying it.