Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > April 2014 Nominations Old School Classic

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) April showers bring a lot of time to read

message 2: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments LOL!

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie Cote I would nominate The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan.

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments April will probably be as full a reading month as others for me, so I'll nominate Around the World in 80 Days as it looks quite short and fun!

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Around the World in 80 Days would be a re-read.

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Bob wrote: "Around the World in 80 Days would be a re-read."

oops, I missed that. I'll give it some more thought then, thanks

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Pink wrote: "April will probably be as full a reading month as others for me, so I'll nominate Around the World in 80 Days as it looks quite short and fun!"

Go ahead and nominate this one under our Revisit the Shelf nominations.

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments How about The Scarlet Letter instead? I don't think it's been read in this group yet?

message 9: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Thanks Kathy, I'll probably leave nominating Around the World again so soon, as it was only recently chosen.

message 10: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments I found a copy of The Red and the Black by Stendhal from my "home home" bookshelf and took it with me. April sounds so far away so I'm not sure what I will be reading then but let's put it out there.

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Feb 10, 2014 07:20PM) (new)

Hi Duane. We have read The Turn of the Screw. You can find the books that we have read by browsing through our discussions. The titles are in alphabetical order, or you can look at our "Read" book list here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

You can nominate The Turn of the Screw for our Revisit the Shelf nominations which are books that people have missed reading or would like to re-read here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hamby I would love to read most of the books I see here. I have read Eighty Days and love it. It is a very fun book. I would like to also nominate Bram Stroker's Dracula.

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Kelly wrote: "I would love to read most of the books I see here. I have read Eighty Days and love it. It is a very fun book. I would like to also nominate Bram Stroker's Dracula."

Hi Kelly. We read Dracula in 2011. Go ahead and nominate it for our Revisit the Shelf read.

message 14: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

We have some great nominations for books to read. Nominations close the end of this week. So now is your chance to suggest a book for April if you want.

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) It looks Like The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne Scarlet Letter is our book for April

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie Cote Just finished The Scarlet Letter as it was a library book and I wanted to return it. (The others I am reading are my own.) I enjoyed the character descriptions that Hawthorne uses and how the characters take on the physical appearance that goes with their personality. Well worth the re-read.

message 17: by Daisy (last edited Mar 24, 2014 06:03AM) (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) Connie wrote: " the characters take on the physical appearance that goes with their personality."

Perhaps I might read this one . . . . It is enjoyable to read authors who interestingly write about the physiognomy of their characters. This stood out in Catch-22 as well. (And, also engaging, in this same vein, can be characters' names.)

message 18: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 125 comments I read this in November and I gave it 5 stars. The themes are well explored and the writing is beautiful, with vivid descriptions and turns of phrases that made me smile. Good choice for next month's read!

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Feel free to discuss The Scarlet Letter in the book's threads even if it is not April. Close enough to count.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.