The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Favourite book type?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee Funny you (or anyone) should ask this now. I've been reading mostly ebooks for longer than a year now. But lately I've been missing books. Books. Real books. I love ebooks. The biggest advantage is space. I don't have the room for a library. If I did I would. So I love having 100+ (and +) books on my ereaders.

So... My preferred reading format is oversized paperbacks and hard covers. I get eyestrain from paperbacks, one of the reasons I made the switch to ebooks. And I like a good sized book to hold in my hands.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark | 481 comments 2 years ago it would have the top 3 in that list, but now I am buying more ebooks.

message 3: by Linette (new)

Linette | 134 comments I like hardcovers best, but if I'm reading a doorstopper I prefer any of the other options, my hands/arms get sore holding up the monster size books.

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy | 23 comments depends whose buying :) If me it's the mmp route & then only if 2nd hand! Although everynow & then i'll splurge on a new Hardback esp if it's a History (non-fiction) related book.

All down to £'s really, starting using the library a lot more too so it's as they come with them.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Feb 01, 2014 01:47PM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
I like hardcovers for looking nice on a shelf, but not to read.

My preference for MMPB has to do with ease of holding and portability. Plus I can take a paper book just about anywhere without issues. Although FAA changes have fixed the issue of having to turn your book off.

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Definitely ebook. I have been getting mmpb and hardcovers from library but they take me longer to read. Plus I am incredibly lazy so having to get out of bed to turn the light off is a pain.

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee Does anyone else find that they read books differently depending on the format they are reading them in? I find (and I have no idea why it is) that I am more likely to get an emotional response when I am reading a paper book (hard or soft cover). Or even an ebook from one of my e ink devices. (I have a nook tablet, a nook simple touch, and a kindle paper). But when I read from my tablet I feel more disconnected from the story I guess.

message 8: by Andreas (new)

Andreas | 220 comments I read mostly on my Kindle - easier for my hands, better illuminated, better on business and leisure journeys. If I like a book, I buy it as a dead wood edition for my collection, preferably hardcopy. I'm in the lucky position of having space enough and I won't ever relocate.

If I know that I will like a book, I sometimes skip the ebook and buy the hardcover directly. I don't know why, maybe it is just for a change.

Reading mmps needs care if they have to get to my shelves. That's why I prefer ebooks as well.

message 9: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) I no longer have the space for physical books. I prefer ebooks. I've been reading a lot of door stoppers (Malazan, Commonwealth saga) and I can't imagine lugging them around. The oversized paperbacks are nice, like the First Law trilogy books. I hate MMPB. The print is too tiny and they are bound so tight that I hate prying them open. I haven't read a physical book since August when I read Assassin's Quest (good that was a physical book cause I threw it at the wall when I finished it).

message 10: by Andreas (new)

Andreas | 220 comments Dara wrote: "good that was a physical book cause I threw it at the wall when I finished it"

Nothing is hindering you doing the same with your e-reader, there is always a friendly seller around the corner :)

message 11: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin Andreas wrote: "Dara wrote: "good that was a physical book cause I threw it at the wall when I finished it"

Nothing is hindering you doing the same with your e-reader, there is always a friendly seller around the corner :) "

"Slightly used." :D

I'm with Dara, I'm very tight on shelf space these days so try to do most electronically. That said, there are some series I buy day 1 in hardcover, so I can have the complete set. ASoIaF is that way, as will be Stormlight, I think.

I also like electronic stuff because I've been taking advantage of Whispersync for Voice now that it all works for me...

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 80 comments I like mass paperbacks over hardcovers since they are smaller and takes up less room, but I like trade paperbacks and hardcovers because their spins don't bent at all or as easily so the books can last longer, even though they are harder to find new in bookstores. I don't or try not to bent the spines of my mass paperbacks at all, but many people do.

message 13: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

terpkristin wrote: "That said, there are some series I buy day 1 in hardcover, so I can have the complete set. ASoIaF is that way, as will be Stormlight, I think."

I went back and bought a first edition (which isn't hard to find cheaply for newer series) of The Way of Kings, just so I'd have the whole series that way. lol. Go, go OCD!

message 14: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) I want The Stormlight Archive in hardcover so I should get on that.

I actually want a new kindle but can't justify buying one when I have 2 that work. I have an e-ink touch and a first gen fire that I loathe. It's so heavy and has terrible battery life. I got it as a gift from my mum and boyfriend so I'd feel bad replacing it less than a year after I got it.

message 15: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

If I have to get more serious about ebooks, I'll get a paper white. For now though my Nexus 7 works fine.

message 16: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 629 comments Definitely mmpb. I'm with Rob on the ease of handling and portability. Spent loads of time with a paperback in my back pocket when I was a kid. About half the time I read ebooks but that would not be my preference.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

MMPB, where and when I can get em. They're small, and I have very limited storage space for books, to the point I now have to get rid of some of my books. But for certain books, I go the extra mile. I bought this last year:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/...

message 18: by Jas-malik (new)

Jas-malik | 1 comments I like hardcover and paperback

message 19: by Gene (new)

Gene Hardcover for me, but I only buy these books if I really like them (4-5 star rated). Otherwise ebooks are the way to go.

message 20: by Bookwraiths (new)

Bookwraiths I usually read ebooks then buy a hardcover of those novels I really love. Actually, I prefer reading books rather than ebooks. Like someone else mentioned, I seem to get attached to a story in paper book versions more for whatever reason. Carrying around my e reader is more convenient than any book.